Fall Marathons in Indianapolis (Read 65 times)

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

I'm unexpectedly moving from the Twin Cities to Indianapolis this summer. I'm not flying back to Minneapolis to run the Twin Cities Marathon in October, but I see that there are two fall marathons in Indy - the Indianapolis Marathon (Oct 19) and the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon (Nov 2). Anyone out there have any experience with these marathons? Any recommendations on which one to run (I don't think I'm a two-marathons-in-a-month kind of guy).

Thanks!

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

Ball of Fury

I haven't run either (yet), but from what I have been told, Monumental is a bit flatter and the weather is usually a bit cooler.  DH and I are registered for the full this year!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

I've done the Monumental... I liked it.  It is flat and the weather was perfect (two years ago).  Fairly good crowd support.  I'll probably do it again this year.

perryw

The Indianapolis Marathon is actually more in the suburb of Lawrence and parts on Harrison State Park (former Fort Harrison area).  It's a hillier course, smaller race, pretty trees around that time. Free cookout at the end.  I've just volunteered at it two years ago and it seemed to be a nice enough race.  I understand the middle miles of the marathon can get pretty lonely.

The Monumental starts downtown and you see a lot of the popular spots in the city itself.  Bigger race, around 10,000 for all the races (full, half, and 5k) I believe.  Flat course.  I've just done the half on the Monumental twice (and again this fall).  The crowd support in the middle is rather sparse.  I volunteered two years ago and we were all but out of food by the 4:00 point, if that's important to you.

You can see the courses and areas after you move to make up your mind.. I think either would be fine.  Maybe an edge towards the Monumental for the "tour the city" factor.

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Thanks, all. Considering that my training will likely be disrupted by the move (which includes a few weeks in Philadelphia with my parents thanks to our move out and move in dates not lining up), I think I'll run the Monumental for all the reasons you mention ... and because it is a few weeks later. Wink

I am bummed, however, to miss out on two half marathons I had planned to run here in the Cities ... and I don't see any summer half marathons in the vicinity of Philadelphia or Indianapolis that will seem to work. Oh well.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

Feeling the growl again

Thanks, all. Considering that my training will likely be disrupted by the move (which includes a few weeks in Philadelphia with my parents thanks to our move out and move in dates not lining up), I think I'll run the Monumental for all the reasons you mention ... and because it is a few weeks later. Wink

I am bummed, however, to miss out on two half marathons I had planned to run here in the Cities ... and I don't see any summer half marathons in the vicinity of Philadelphia or Indianapolis that will seem to work. Oh well.

Summer is kind of hot down here to run HMs.  Check out the calendar at www.indyrunners.org.  Welcome to Hoosierland.  There are a number of us locals on here.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Check out the calendar at www.indyrunners.org.  Welcome to Hoosierland.  There are a number of us locals on here.

Thanks for the link. I've already signed up for the emails, and I look forward to joining in on some of the weekly runs. Thanks, Spaniel!

perryw

Thanks for the link. I've already signed up for the emails, and I look forward to joining in on some of the weekly runs. Thanks, Spaniel!

The Saturday morning "training program" is great.  They have recommended distances for half and full marathoners and put out water spots at different points, and snacks and such when you're done.  Usually a good 50 people show up to those Saturdays with the runs in the week being smaller.  You'd be running in the northern most part of where the Monumental will run.  Nice group.  I'm usually at the Thursday runs in Fishers (suburb to the northeast of Indy) - we're a smaller group right now.

I haven't made up my mind about doing the program this year or not.  It's about a 25 mile drive for me, which makes for an early Saturday morning since the runs start at 7:30.  And I'm doing a Running Wizard plan so the weekly distances won't match up.  We'll see.

There's a trail full & half at Eagle Creek Park at the beginning of August, which is usually pretty hot around here.  Nice city owned park though.  Looks like one just west of Indy in Danville, IN in mid September - not sure if that one caught your eye or not. http://www.danvilleindiana.org/department/division.asp?fDD=4-91

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Hey all,

I just got back from a two day house-hunting trip in Indy. Just a quick note to give the communities of Zionsville and Carmel/Indianapolis big kudos for their great trails. I did 11 miles on the Monon Trail (an out-and-back starting from 86th Street) and 5+ on the Zionsville trail. These are wonderful assets, and depending on where we end up living I look forward to more running along those trails.

And, barring any schedule conflicts, I'll be running Monumental this year.

Thanks!

Chris