Favorite "Cheap" Marathon(s) (Read 348 times)

zonykel

the rock n roll series are expensive and so are the more "famous" marathons. With early registration, you have a wide range of smaller marathons under $100. I registered for the new river half for $40. The marathon was $60.

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

$22 would be good, I'll still be happy with $55. Here's hoping I make it in the top 10 by getting sub 3!! Smile

Really good race, but a couple of years ago they severely bumped up the price. When I did it the race cost $22.

Another $10 race is the Roxbury (Conn) Marathon. I haven't done it, so I have no idea if it is good or not, but for $10 I'm willing to find out.

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Thank goodness nobody has darkened this thread yet.

J-L-C

It's a shame races are so expensive in the US.

Here in Korea every marathon I know of is under $40, including the massive international IAAF marathons. Half marathons are typically $30, 10ks usually $25-30, 5ks usually $10-15.

I can't figure out why things are so much more expensive in the US. Korean races mail you your shirt, personalized bib, and race booklet including all names of participants the week before the race, provide amazing race day amenities, then mail you a finisher's certificate with your picture on it a couple of weeks after the event.

Just crazy the differences. I was shocked the first time I raced in the US and had to pay $35 for a 5k and didn't get anything but a bib and a plastic bag with some coupons in it. Plus a bottle of water afterwards. A bit sad.

It's a shame races are so expensive in the US.

Here in Korea every marathon I know of is under $40, including the massive international IAAF marathons. Half marathons are typically $30, 10ks usually $25-30, 5ks usually $10-15.

I can't figure out why things are so much more expensive in the US. Korean races mail you your shirt, personalized bib, and race booklet including all names of participants the week before the race, provide amazing race day amenities, then mail you a finisher's certificate with your picture on it a couple of weeks after the event.

Just crazy the differences. I was shocked the first time I raced in the US and had to pay $35 for a 5k and didn't get anything but a bib and a plastic bag with some coupons in it. Plus a bottle of water afterwards. A bit sad.

I'm going to guess that sponsorships and who pays for what has a lot to do with it. I only do small trail races, so there's no police fees, etc. Insurance is fairly low cost for small running races (not so for small mtn biking races that I've RD'd). The races I do generally aren't sponsored, so expenses generally come completely from registration fees. Some clubs may put on free races where the only expense is some snacks after the race and maybe insurance (unless they have an overall policy). Insurance may be minimal for small races.

I personally wouldn't do a 5k for $35 unless I knew a big chunk of that were going to support a good cause. We've got a 10k for about $30 - $35 (exact amt escapes me), which I do because it supports a great nature center. It's minimal frills so the bulk of the money goes to the nature center. I'm fine with minimal or no goodies. I'm interested in the course.

I have heard that permit fees for some of the large trail ultras may range in the $1000s (unless the RD miscommunicated what that was). That could be a percent of the income.

City races, OTOH, will have police, EMS, permits from cities, street closure costs, insurance, etc. If the race is part of a larger festival, then sometimes the overall insurance covers the race.

Look at a spreadsheet of costs sometime to see how expensive it is to put on road races in cities. That's why I'm suggesting there's either differences in sponsorships or in who pays for what.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
            J-L-C

Yeah, maybe sponsorship. Many of the smaller races here seem to have a lot of city involvement (like a community fitness/social aspect), so maybe that cuts cost.

Our races are also races, too, and not charity or fund-raising events, so I wonder if all the of the charity affiliations are what drive up the costs in the US?

Hey, where in Korea are you? I'm in Suwon for the week and have been doing all treadmill since I got here. The last time I was here it was also either all treadmill or a park in Dongtan. Are you up in the north, and if so do you know of any tracks that let you buy a 1-day pass?

Yeah, maybe sponsorship. Many of the smaller races here seem to have a lot of city involvement (like a community fitness/social aspect), so maybe that cuts cost.

Our races are also races, too, and not charity or fund-raising events, so I wonder if all the of the charity affiliations are what drive up the costs in the US?

City involvement can help reduce costs a lot since that's where some of the permit, EMS, and police fees would go - directly or indirectly.

Most of the races I do are low cost / minimal frills. The one (mtn bike) that I RD'd included $5/racer as a donation for the trails in the expenses ($25/racer, $30 day of race). We occasionally cleared a little more than that to donate. Many times the sponsors are to provide goodies - for everyone, raffles, prizes - so may not help the expenses that much.

Except for one race that I've done, all our "charities" have been trails, ski team, nature center, etc. I'm sure that's different on the larger races and not sure how much goes to charities. (We do have one notable exception among the trail races - a 15-mi race that everyone loves and willing to pay $100 or more for it, and it fills. CF is beneficiary, and they gets lots of funds raised by individual racers.)

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                  J-L-C

Hey, where in Korea are you? I'm in Suwon for the week and have been doing all treadmill since I got here. The last time I was here it was also either all treadmill or a park in Dongtan. Are you up in the north, and if so do you know of any tracks that let you buy a 1-day pass?

No, I'm near Busan. I've never been to Suwon but they have a sports complex with a track inside the soccer stadium  (by the baseball stadium, pool, etc.). I'd hit that up if you can find it.  If it's like the stadiums/tracks I've been to then they're open to the community though track etiquette doesn't really exist so take care when doing speedwork.

In Korean: 수원시환경미화원노조사무실.

You can copy and paste that into Google earth or map to get an idea where it is.

Thanks!

jackfrost9p

CIM is $85 if you register between 3/1 and 3/15 for the December race. Also, the maximum race fee is $130, which I feel is the starting price for most other races. Minus the horrific weather last year, CIM was a great race. However, I will be running the North Face 50M instead this year, which is the same weekend.

Marathon: 2:48:49 (Boston 2014) - Half: 1:22:11 (Berkeley 2013)

2x sub-24 100 mile finisher

Next: Big Sur Marathon - Blog: http://jbfinn.blogspot.com/

Jill_B

I fly.

Another $10 race is the Roxbury (Conn) Marathon. I haven't done it, so I have no idea if it is good or not, but for $10 I'm willing to find out.

I ran it when it was $10 (2011) - last year it was $15...

Bring it on.

Ojo

Ran it when it was $10 and when it was $15 -- I will run it again even if it goes up to $20!  Big grin

Sara

MM #2929

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Harrisburg $60 early November

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

an amazing likeness

Just another vote for both Green Mountain (GMM) and Baystate.  Two very different flavors, but both are races for runners, by runners at their core, and worth every $.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.