Knowing whether to cut back or plug away with marathon training (Read 253 times)

Truth is that I've been not adhering to the philosophy of the plan at all.  I had higher ambitions at the start of the program and I haven't adjusted to the reality of my training and overall fitness.

Being stubborn and overly ambitious, I really should have been training with less duration (and pace, perhaps) of the higher intensity training.

Don't blame the coach...I didn't listen.Undecided

flyrunnr

I was feeling the same way... legs were feeling like sandbags and I was feeling tired most of the time and struggling through my workouts, while barely hitting the target paces. I am 45 years old and training for my first marathon but  hired a coach to help me with my training. I felt great back in June and early July, but started to feel fatigued back in mid to late July. We have had several brutal weeks with heat and humidity here in the northeast, and I failed to allow my aging body enough time to recover adequately between workouts.

I thought I may have been overtraining, but my coach assures me with my mileage (only 38-45 mpw) and two rest days a week that I am very likely "overtraining" so he thinks it's more of an "over-reaching" during workouts trying to make splits. He really wants me to not use the Garmin and run my workouts based on "feel" and effort.

Another suggestion is to consider getting your bloodwork tested for Lyme's disease, mono, or  an iron or B-complex deficiency. I am finally feeling better now that cooler temps have surfaced, and I started to focus more on nutrition, consistent sleep schedule, and easing the paces on my workouts. Over-reaching can be easily be recovered from, but over--training is more difficult, if not impossible in a single season.

Rather than running so many consecutive miles at MP, perhaps try alternating them between marathon pace and a minute slower. My long run workout today...  Long Run w/ Pick ups - 18 miles (10 miles easy/medium, 8 miles alternating 7:15/8:15).

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2507437

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?

flyrunnr

Being stubborn and overly ambitious, I really should have been training with less duration (and pace, perhaps) of the higher intensity training.

I agree with adjusting the pace... especially based on sleep, heat/humidity, etc., but you need to run at MP often, and when you are feeling fatigued. Quality over quantity is a philosophy my coach believes in, and it's also followed in the Hanson's Marathon Method, and a reduction in mileage or increase in rest days may help reduce some of the fatigue and aid in recovery.  Also, you probably are well aware of this... but run your easy days EASY... even Ryan Hall runs his at 8:00 pace, that would probably be a akin to a 10:00 pace for me. Embarrassed

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2507437

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

A plan that isn't followed isn't a plan at all. If you can't follow a plan then likely, the plan isn't for you so find a plan better suited to you that you can follow.

You may also want to get some blood work done to make sure you aren't vitamin deficient.

Truth is that I've been not adhering to the philosophy of the plan at all.  I had higher ambitions at the start of the program and I haven't adjusted to the reality of my training and overall fitness.

Don't blame the coach...I didn't listen.Undecided

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

A plan that isn't followed isn't a plan at all. If you can't follow a plan then likely, the plan isn't for you so find a plan better suited to you that you can follow.

You may also want to get some blood work done to make sure you aren't vitamin deficient.

I've successfully used the plan before.  I have been basing most of my workouts on higher mileage and my goal paces of two years ago.  Maybe my ego was writing checks that my body couldn't cash.  Maybe father time is catching up with me.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

Maybe my ego was writing checks that my body couldn't cash.  

Hey, you bank where I do. Smile

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental