Sinus Problems and Running (Read 413 times)

syrion

I've had a cough for about 2.5 weeks, and I started running after I already had that cough; I ran in the cold morning air two days last week, and saw no improvement of my condition.  I finally went to the doctor, who diagnosed me with post-nasal drip and exercise induced asthma, and advised me not to run (or exercise at all) until my cough is gone.

Has anyone else had this situation happen to them?  Is PND something that I can anticipate any time I try to run outside when it's cold?  How do you treat it, long-term, or is it usually more acute and tied to the changing of the season?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've been dealing with this for the last week or two -- also due to the wacky, erratic weather, I'm certain.  I feel like I'm coming down with a cold...that never really gets worse.  

I do have asthma.  I'm on a 2x/daily inhaled steroid and have a rescue inhaler as-needed.  Did your doc prescribe an inhaler for you?  If you have EIA you should have one.  Most doctors will advise to use it 20 minutes before a workout and as-needed.  I ended up "upgraded" from EIA to moderate/persistent when I was using my rescue inhaler more than just for workouts, every day.

An antihistamine might help with the PND, but it could also make you VERY sleepy...

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Penguin Forever

I have exercise-induced asthma and allergic rhinitis (runny nose from allergies). Like zoom-zoom, I have an inhaler and a twice daily inhaled steroid/antihistamine combo. Without the medication I have a drippy nose even when I'm just sitting around. Noses run more when it's cold outside as a natural thing. I'm also quite allergic to some outdoor stuff (grass sent my allergy tests off the charts), so I take an over the counter antihistamine as well (doctor recommended). I suppose if post-nasal drip is a side effect of allergies, you could get allergy shots... but , I am not a doctor, so I don't really have an answer for that.

syrion

I've been dealing with this for the last week or two -- also due to the wacky, erratic weather, I'm certain.  I feel like I'm coming down with a cold...that never really gets worse.  

I do have asthma.  I'm on a 2x/daily inhaled steroid and have a rescue inhaler as-needed.  Did your doc prescribe an inhaler for you?  If you have EIA you should have one.  Most doctors will advise to use it 20 minutes before a workout and as-needed.  I ended up "upgraded" from EIA to moderate/persistent when I was using my rescue inhaler more than just for workouts, every day.

An antihistamine might help with the PND, but it could also make you VERY sleepy...

Yes, the doctor did prescribe an inhaler, albuterol.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

One thing you may or may not be aware of is that the primary symptom of asthma for a lot of folks is coughing.  This is my primary symptom.  The rather "Hollywood" image of an asthmatic gasping and wheezing isn't all that based in reality for a lot of asthmatics.  If your cough continues for a while I'd definitely talk to your doctor again.  Could be that you're not actually dealing with allergies/sinus or viral stuff at all.  If using the inhaler makes your coughing diminish I'd be really suspicious of this.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Maggie & Molly

One thing you may or may not be aware of is that the primary symptom of asthma for a lot of folks is coughing.  This is my primary symptom.  The rather "Hollywood" image of an asthmatic gasping and wheezing isn't all that based in reality for a lot of asthmatics.  If your cough continues for a while I'd definitely talk to your doctor again.  Could be that you're not actually dealing with allergies/sinus or viral stuff at all.  If using the inhaler makes your coughing diminish I'd be really suspicious of this.

this.  under normal circumstances my asthma doesn't impact my running much but when I get any kind of respiratory thing forget it - I'm sidelined for awhile!

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
              Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

gfd_2

I have major sinus issues when the seasons change, Fall to Winter and Winter to Spring.  I used to get nasty sinus infections and had awful headaches.  

I've found that nasal flushing every day helps tremendously.  

Also, I go through 2 or 3 bottles of Afrin "No Drip Severe Congestion"  and at least one bottle of "Sinus Blaster" every year to keep the sinuses open.