I smell like metal (Read 273 times)

I can't smell it but my wife says that everytime I run I smell like metal. I tell her it's the raw power bleeding from my body but she doesn't buy it.Big grin

She says it's not like ammonia so maybe not protien burning. She says it's not like nail polish remover so maybe not ketosis.

Maybe an interesting note, I'm generally just a little low in iron in my blood. Most of the docs are not concerned and admit it's probably excercise induced. One called me anemic even though I was running plenty of miles and had no fatigue at all. Maybe this is related to the smell, maybe not.

Anyone have similar experiences or know what it might be?

#artbydmcbride

Ironman 3 is coming out soon......

Runners run

Raw power bleeding from your body. lol!

Um, maybe it's something about your wife's smell receptors, and not to do with your sweat at all. The only way to tell is to get a larger sample of smellers on board: I suggest approaching random strangers in the Wal-Mart parking lot of a Saturday morning to ask what your sweat smells like to them.

Revenge of the Nerd

It's called getting the lead out.

One of these days is none of these days.

~ H.G. Bohn

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've heard people say that ketosis gives a metallic taste in the mouth, so I wouldn't rule that out. Perhaps buy a tube of ketostix at the store just to be certain.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

No idea but my son often says I smell like running. Apparently running is a smell too.

Kalsarikännit

Is it like 80's hair metal?  Because that could just be the lipstick and aqua net.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Kristi_G

I get a metallic taste in my mouth when I'm sweating and not sufficiently hydrated. Are you getting enough fluids?

I suggest approaching random strangers in the Wal-Mart parking lot of a Saturday morning to ask what your sweat smells like to them.

Dear RA members,

This is a perfect idea. I tried it with my wife but she just points at the shower. I then thought my 16 year old daughter may help but she said "Ewww. Get away from me." I asked my running buddy and he said he couldn't smell my sweat because he was wearing yesterday's run shirt and just thought it was him. I asked the dog but he didn't seem to know one way or another. He was just happy to see me and lick the salt off my leg.

I try not to go to WalMart because there's a bunch of weirdos there wearing crazy clothes, smacking kids, and one guy I saw was carrying around a running shirt mumbling about copper and ketosis asking random people to smell the shirt and identify the stench. So Gross!

So, what I'm going to do is stuff some tissues all around my body on my run this morning. When I get back I'll quickly put each one in an individual ziplock baggie and send them to you guys. Then people who really understand what I'm going through and can relate will be able to help me.

Please provide your home address and PayPal me some postage money so I can send your sample for odoriferous evaluation.

You guys are the best!

Smell ya later,

dpar

Mostly harmless

Did someone say metal?

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

FSBD

No idea but my son often says I smell like running. Apparently running is a smell too.

So after my first marathon my wife and I were staying at a really nice hotel that was also a winery.  After we checked in we went to the tasting room next door to do a tasting and grab a bottle of wine for the evening before we headed to our room.  We did our tasting kind of off in the corner of the tasting bar by ourselves, I was still in all my running gear, number on, finishers metal around my neck, and decided on a bottle of sparkling to bring back to the room.  The way the winery could give us a bottle of chilled was that we had to buy a bottle of warm, pay for it then bring the warm bottle to the tasting bar with our receipt and exchange it for a cold bottle.  So I brought the bottle back over and was standing next to a group of people waiting for the guy pouring to exchange my bottle.  The lady right next to me, clearly dressed up for the wedding that was happening later that day, scrunches up her nose, looks at me and gives me the dirtiest look.  All I could say was, 'Yeah, I know. Sorry."  Then I grabbed my bottle and got the hell out of there.

Sorry that was a random story but, yeah, running definitely has a smell.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

ShotNixon

This Space For Rent

I get this from the wife from time to time. Must be something to it