2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I feel the same way about tomorrow and about Keira. Kipchoge seems quite confident in his fitness, and the weather looks perfect. I think he'll go sub 2:01 for a new WR. I doubt Adola can pose any threat; he's been a one-hit wonder and that was 5 years ago. Not really sure about the ladies race, but I'd bet an East African will win and not Keira.

I'm flying out to Germany later today for work and will be anxious to check LRC when I land to see how the race is going!

JT that is awesome! I can't seem to find it on US TV which really sucks as I'm not waking up at 230 am to stream it!

Hope you have a safe flight and that you're doing well. We miss you on these forums!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

One more thing on my mileage post: those were the Pfitz /Daniel's definitions, so 70 MPW would be the 56 to 70 plan. Probably average in the low 60s for that plan?

I will comment on others posts/weeklies tomorrow or Monday.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CalBears

Also not all BQs are equal. It is much easier to qualify when you are older, based on AG rules.

How do you know? Have you been already 50 years old? You are qualified to say it's easier to qualify when you are 25 than when you are 35 (or vice versa), but until you are that old, how do you know?

Out of people in my amateur track team, maybe 20-25% of older runners have BQs, the rest of the runners - not. And those are the active older folks. The rest of the oldies on the streets cannot even run 100 meters without stopping. So... Please...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Ian5

K24live has an English link on YouTube if anyone wants to watch Berlin.

Kipchoge is going for sub 2!!!

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

He did it again. He is imortal.

He went out in sub 2 pace, that's ballsy.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

zebano

He did it again. He is imortal.

He went out in sub 2 pace, that's ballsy.

2:01:09 after a sub 60 first half. Trivially the GOAT at the marathon distance

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

See rule number 6. I just can't believe he did this. I am such a fan of his but I never would have put money on him breaking the WR at this age.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

How do you know? Have you been already 50 years old? You are qualified to say it's easier to qualify when you are 25 than when you are 35 (or vice versa), but until you are that old, how do you know?

Out of people in my amateur track team, maybe 20-25% of older runners have BQs, the rest of the runners - not. And those are the active older folks. The rest of the oldies on the streets cannot even run 100 meters without stopping. So... Please...

Well I said specifically said according to AG. There is no denying that on that basis, getting a BQ in your 40s for example is MUCH easier than a 25 year old for example. 45 is probably the easiest age to qualify based on that standard. It's a few percentage points lower on AG than a 25 year old qualifying. I think 55 is much more in line with the 35 year old standard.

Some mornings I have trouble just getting out of bed.

Dave

Running Problem

Problem Child

Well I said specifically said according to AG. There is no denying that on that basis, getting a BQ in your 40s for example is MUCH easier than a 25 year old for example. 45 is probably the easiest age to qualify based on that standard. It's a few percentage points lower on AG than a 25 year old qualifying. I think 55 is much more in line with the 35 year old standard.

It’s really hard regardless of age. At. 45 I won’t have the time to dedicate to running I did when I was 35. Maybe when I’m 55 I’ll have the time, but not the energy, to run 80-100 mile weeks and I will be past my genetic prime.  Running Racing is fucking stupid.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

RP - fear of nuclear plants might be similar to fear of flying in airplanes. When things go wrong they can go catastrophically wrong (see Chernobyl, Fukushima, and now Zaporizhia could blow up any minute).

If a hydro dam is breached there’s a lot of death initially but at least you can plant stuff on the land a few days later.

Also, fall out, which is really the big issue, though not sure how feasible it is that a nuclear meltdown could cause fallout.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about the technical aspects of hydroelectric dams nor nuclear plants. Ignore my opinion.

Merkle - I think it’s only natural that you will be antsy about marathons. I’m also like that since I’m currently 0/4 against them. But I reckon you will get there if you’re patient enough.

Everyone - Listen to what Darkwave is saying about training by effort and forgetting paces.

Steve - You got this so long as you don’t go out faster than planned.

me - I ran a 10k race today. It was a celebration of the local football club Porto FC. It was themed around the team and it started and finished just outside the stadium. It was nice in that we could use the stadium toilets, so plenty of them and also there's a mall across the street from the start.

Official chip Time: 39:57.203 - 27th over all, 5th on age group 40-44

They have done a nice celebration before the race for the past pro athletes from Portugal who used to run with the colors of the club when it still had an athletics team.

I knew the course would be hard so I set my mind that I'd aim to run around 41 to 42 minutes.

The gun goes off and we start the climb up Alameda das Antas. I know there will be traffic with a ton of slower runners so I just made my way passing perhaps 100 runners on the way up.

Km1 clicks at 4:20, which is expected with the uphill.

Kms 2, 3 and 4 are well known to me and they click by like nothing. I like that around km 2 I can look ahead and see the first place is already about 500m ahead of me. These Ks are faster running on the flat or slight uphill/downhills.

They click at 3:44, 3:53 and 3:57

Km 5 and 6 are big downhills and now I'm focusing on not passing anybody. I figure people will run fast the downhill and if I have a chance to pass somebody it will be on the way back uphill.

Splits are 3:53 and 3:34

Km 7 is a loop around a nice green square, this should've been a bit faster, I guess I snoozed a bit here and 2 guys passed me.

Split: 4:05

km 8 is the bulk of the uphill, I managed to reconnect with one of the guys who passed me by doing the perfect tangent on the exit of the bridge. We run side by side and I figure I should probably not speed up right now. It's a nasty hill with a 42m climb, about half way up he slows down and is left behind. I start to set my focus on the guy ahead, the other one who passed me at the square.

Split 4:43

I don't seem to be making ground on him at all until the end of km 9, when I finally pass him and then immediately speed up as we're now on the flat and I know that the last K has a big downhill (60m roughly).

Split 4:15

And so I start passing people, 3 or 4 maybe until I'm at the bottom of the hill and now it's just a loop around the stadium to the finish line. I reach 2 guys ahead and we start going around, about half way one of them speeds up a bit and I match his speed, the other one stays behind. We're now running what is for me mile pace.

With maybe 250 to go I sense that I can at most match his pace but not enough to pass him as at this point I have no core/hips to speak of anymore after all that climbing, without your glutes powering you forward the best you can do is flail your arms.

So I stay a few m behind him never able to pass until the finish line.

That was a bit of a bitter pill, also because I saw 40 minutes approaching on the clock.

After I cross the finish line I can see I ran sub 40 on chip time, but the results site is only showing net time so I guess it's my turn to dress like Gaga.

Last km split: 3:26

I was quite happy with the result as it shows I'm at about 38:30 speed for a flat 10k and it's the first race I'm happy about this year to be honest.

Now I set my sights on yet another 10k, that one mostly flat in November 6th.

Weekly for period: From: 09/19/2022 To 09/25/2022

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                          in ft
                          09/20 Morning Run 7.29 11.74 00:59:50 08:12 05:06 367
                          09/21 4x(2'@5:38-5:45 + 2'E) 6.47 10.42 00:51:01 07:53 04:54 266
                          09/22 Morning Run 7.35 11.83 01:00:00 08:10 05:04 417
                          09/24 45'E + 4 strides 5.74 9.23 00:45:57 08:00 04:59 249
                          09/25 Corrida do Dragão - it was sub 40 I promise 6.24 10.05 00:39:59 06:24 03:59 469

Total distance: 33.11mi

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

It’s really hard regardless of age. At. 45 I won’t have the time to dedicate to running I did when I was 35. Maybe when I’m 55 I’ll have the time, but not the energy, to run 80-100 mile weeks and I will be past my genetic prime.  Running Racing is fucking stupid.

So you already know you won’t have the time to dedicate to running at 45yo even though it’s still years away.

And of course it’s possible for some runners to have the energy to run 80/100 mile weeks at 55yo if you train smart (eg, Cal - loads of easy 9min/mile runs and a 6:52 pace marathon to show for it.)

Flavio - Very nice Sub40 10k run on a difficult course. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

me - I ran a 10k race today. It was a celebration of the local football club Porto FC. It was themed around the team and it started and finished just outside the stadium. It was nice in that we could use the stadium toilets, so plenty of them and also there's a mall across the street from the start.

Official chip Time: 39:57.203 - 27th over all, 5th on age group 40-44

Flavio - well done.  Nice point about not passing people on the downhills, but waiting until the uphills to do so.

I'm so happy you had a good race to reward your training!

My week:

56 miles running, 3 hours pool-running, and 1000 yards swimming.

M: 90 minutes pool-running.
                              T: 9 miles very easy (9:50), drills, and streaming yoga.
                              W: 9 miles very easy (10:16) and drills/strides.
                              Th: 90 minutes pool-running, upper body weights/core.
                              F: 10.5 miles, including track workout of 2x3200 in 13:55 (7:03/6:52) and 13:37 (6:50/6:47) with 5:30 jog in between. Followed with leg strenghtwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
                              Sa: 11 miles very easy (9:36), drills/strides, and upper body weights/core
                              Su: 16 miles progressive - first 5 averaging 9:14, next 5 averaging 8:10, next 6 averaging 7:29, and then a .5 mile cooldown. Later some injury prevention work and 500 yards recovery swimming.

Race recovery for the first half of the week, and then a short workout and a progressive long run for the second half.   My last real workout will be a track workout this coming Tuesday - after that it's all half-ass stuff until the marathon.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

So you already know you won’t have the time to dedicate to running at 45yo even though it’s still years away.

And of course it’s possible for some runners to have the energy to run 80/100 mile weeks at 55yo if you train smart (eg, Cal - loads of easy 9min/mile runs and a 6:52 pace marathon to show for it.)

Flavio - Very nice Sub40 10k run on a difficult course. 👍

Yes. I can say with confidence I’ll not have the time to dedicate to running I have now in *does math* 7 years.

VDOT 53.37