The 117th Boston Marathon (Read 842 times)

OliveGarden

You're done.
    DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

Thank you Eric.

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

under a rock

thank you, Eric! I was just trying to figure out how to report that post. We don't need nasty trolls in our community!

Why is it sideways?

FWIW, that picture that was posted is on the front page of NYTimes.com.

Imminent Catastrophe

It's gone now but I believe the NYT version was cropped to eliminate the most explicit part.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

My issue was not with the picture (I didn't even look), it was the comment that the d-bag made in this thread. It's not worth repeating and I'm glad it's gone. 

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

+1.  And the speed with which it was handled is one of the many reasons eric Smile is awesome.

My issue was not with the picture (I didn't even look), it was the comment that the d-bag made in this thread. It's not worth repeating and I'm glad it's gone. 

Finally got notification about all the people I know out there.  Don't even know how to respond to what's happened.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                Emil Zatopek

cbennett926

Trust Me, Im an Engineer

Thinking I might sport one of these at OKC in two weeks:

Totally unrelated but did you get this from Shamrock in VA this year?! I got a pretty nice hat when I ran last year I didn't know if this was the one they gave out today; on a more related note: 1 Peter 5:6-7 Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. 

I have been praying with family and friends since I heard about it, my mom was just on her way out of town at OKC and when I heard about Boston my heart dropped, so much love and prayers for not just Boston but the nation that we make rebuild and nurture each other. It is times like these where any differences are put aside, and hatred, any problems and we unify as one. God bless all

Not all those who wander are lost - JRR Tolkien

sluggo

John

Thank you Eric.

+1 Eric. I am sorry that I actually saw the pic - even though I am sure it was factual...

John
                    www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

Amidst the chaos and fear, there were many heroes.  Runners who immediately veered off the course to help.

Race volunteers who were there to help exhausted, sick, and injured runners.  I crossed the line maybe a half-hour earlier and am particularly heartbroken about those volunteers because they were so vivacious and encouraging.  All volunteers are great, but Boston's are second to none.

The marines who seemed to be on the scene immediately.

The police who sprang into action with aplomb.

It's hard to describe, but there was/is a tangible sense of unity and empathy that I guess is unique to such horrific events.

I love this race and this city and am beyond angry that some punk(s) would do this.

Dog-Love

Kinda boring this year.

I read this and being at work thought I would not go online to see the race but then I saw the women were in for a great finish but since I had to prep for class thought I would check in later.   After teaching a class I came back and my colleague asked if I heard about Boston.  And all I could think of was...did Goucher and Flannigan tie???  When I found out about the bombings I kept thinking about Trent's older post and I was wishing that it were really true!  A sad day for sure

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Queen of 3rd Place

Just trying tocheck in was in the bleachers but left a few minutes then boom, found our runners but stuck in the lobby of some hotel our hotel is closed, sad sad day

Ex runner

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Totally unrelated but did you get this from Shamrock in VA this year?! I got a pretty nice hat when I ran last year I didn't know if this was the one they gave out today; on a more related note: 1 Peter 5:6-7 Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. 

I have been praying with family and friends since I heard about it, my mom was just on her way out of town at OKC and when I heard about Boston my heart dropped, so much love and prayers for not just Boston but the nation that we make rebuild and nurture each other. It is times like these where any differences are put aside, and hatred, any problems and we unify as one. God bless all

Nope, just ordered it from roadrunnersports.com .  They have a black one too, which Iiked the look of, but decided it might be a little more morbid than I was going for.

Thanks for that Scripture quote.  If I get the hat early enough, I'm going to have something commemorating Boston embroidered on it, and an inspirational Bible verse is one of the things I'm considering.

I alternated between praying for Boston and getting more pissed off during my run today.  It was an emotional one.  Not my most consistent pace, but oh well.

Regarding your second-to-last sentence, I agree...but sadly, I give it about a day, maybe two before the Republicans and Democrats start blaming each other, someone blames religion, someone else blames [insert non-religious group here], and we're back to business as usual.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

+1 Eric. I am sorry that I actually saw the pic - even though I am sure it was factual...

If it's the same one he posted in the "check in" thread, I'm sorry I saw it, too.  I held out brief hope it was a tasteless Photoshop job, but I...I'm afraid it's not.  Sad  And now it's in my head forever.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Sjpcollins

All the best from the running community of Lancashire , England. We are all shocked and appauled by what we are seeing and our thoughts with our fellow runners.