The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

rlopez

My point was more around the fact that Trent was announcing that the confidence intervals are wide for overall effectiveness and this was just a ploy to boost stock prices is not correct.

Actually man, he didn't really say that. Trent said it was "just an attention grab" (which it definitely is) that had the side-effect of raising the stock price. He did not predict causality. You added that.

undue monkey

That's some crystal ball shit though, and why these trials aren't the end all.

those who have any potential side effect risk should not take the vaccine right away

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The Pfizer and Moderna trials are scheduled for 24 months. Based on assessment done before the trials, the study statisticians expect that it will take 24 months to assess effectiveness versus a placebo. We are still just 3 months in. Any findings released before 24 months either are unexpectedly dramatic such that the DSMB will recommend early study closure (which has not happened) -OR- are simply unhelpful, statistically unreliable peeks.

rlopez

Are there any other mongers besides fish, fear, and cuca?

an amazing likeness

...there's always Mongo

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

undue monkey

rlopez

Also warmonger

Running Problem

Problem Child

war.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Actually man, he didn't really say that. Trent said it was "just an attention grab" (which it definitely is)

Announcing incredibly good effectiveness results with a high probability due to sample size on a global pandemic that is killing thousands of people daily is an "attention grab?" Interesting point of view.

And Trent - there is no timetable for confidence intervals. It's just a matter of positive cases. If we were South Korea, we would need a decade to determine the effectiveness of this vaccine. They estimated that 24 month timeline off of a guess of how many exposure they would have to assess. But when you have 100K+ infected daily, timetables don't matter. I really think you need a refresher on statistics if you're going to keep saying things like confidence intervals and "statistically unreliable" because it's just not true. People look to you as a source of information because of your background and right now it's just not correct.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

OK. I'm glad you think that.

I really think you need a refresher on statistics

However, I am not as glad that you think somehow urgency somehow influences mathematics.

A press release is, by definition, an attention grab.

Runners run

rlopez

A press release is, by definition, an attention grab.

Interesting point of view.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

OK. I'm glad you think that.

However, I am not as glad that you think somehow urgency somehow influences mathematics.

That's exactly the point! Time has no influence on the math, and the math given the amount of positive cases indicates that the lower bound of the confidence interval currently is 80%+.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

the lower bound of the confidence interval currently is 80%+.

So you think you can calculate a CI without any actual data? Really?

Methinks you need a refresher on statistics.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

They gave you all the data you need to come up with a good CI estimate. We can argue about what the number is, but to say that the numbers being presented are "statistically unreliable", that this is just an "attention grab", and that the CI are "way too wide" to make anything of this news is categorically false.

This is the Wild Wild West so I guess that will be the last comment on this, we can just continue with whatever we feel like and not worry about what the facts are.