training (Read 82 times)

Jrileye64

HHi y'all, new to forum.  I'm 70 years old.  I became very deconditioned , and since 3-4 years ago, I can't seem to make any progress.

Currently, I walk-run 2 min/walk 1 every 2-3 days, and it's very hard to push beyond this.  My question is, should a rest more?  If so, what else to do on off days, ie hike, resistance.  Years ago I used to do resistance, then ruan after, but that was then ...

Any suggestions very welcome.  My goal would be running a 5 k without rest ...

Thank you

SamStevo

I'd suggest really absorbing all the rest you can get right now because your age probably makes it harder for your body to recover itself. Over the weeks if you start to cut rest shorter and have less rest you can begin to progress, but you should only cut rest when you feel really good and in grade-A condition at the amount of rest you would be at before cutting rest. If you're worrying about pace or anything like that (you haven't said you are) then forget about it because where you are at, time on your legs is a better focus until you can get into good shape. It may take a while, but even at 70 years old you can accomplish some pretty damn good times. 70 year old guy ran 18flat in the 5k before.. if that's saying something. Good luck training!

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

You don't say how long your run/walk sessions are, or what you mean by "it's very hard to push beyond this".  Do you mean that you can't lengthen the distance, that you can't decrease your walking ratio, or that you can't do it more than every 2-3 days?

In general it is difficult to improve if you're not doing enough to trigger a training effect.  If you're only running 2-3x/week, try every other day, which would be 3 or 4x/week.  If you're only running 2 miles, increase a weekly run to 2.5, and then to 3; if you're running 3 miles, increase a run to 4.  If this is difficult, turn one of the run/walk sessions into a brisk walk. It's better to run/walk 2x and walk once, than to only run/walk 2x.

Make sure your run portions of your exercise are run at an easy pace.  Don't push it.  You shouldn't be out of breath - you should be able to talk with an imaginary friend, in short but complete sentences, while you run.  If you can't do this, slow down.

If you're not doing any weightlifting/resistance exercises, this would be very good to do.  As we age we lose muscle mass, and regular strength training helps a lot.

Good luck!

I'm "only" 65, so just a kid....  Anyway, here's some random thoughts from my experience.

You could try running every day, or at least 5 or 6 days per week.  Conventional wisdom is for old farts to run every other day, but six days per week works for me.  Shorten the distance and/or slow down the pace until you can do the days per week.

You could be on a plateau.  I was stuck at 30 MPW for over two years, then was able to jump up to 40 MPW.  Persistence will eventually get you past the plateau.

Run real slow.  You should be able to carry on a conversation, speaking in full sentences without straining.  Your heart should not be pounding.  If that means walk ten minutes, run one minute, then that is what you do.  Get in your six days a week and work on increasing time until you can do a full half hour every day.  Then, and only then, work on more run/less walk.

If you start feeling generally tired and run down, you are overdoing it.  Slow down and shorten your workouts until you feel better.

More exercise requires more sleep.  When I'm at peak marathon training, I need an extra hour of sleep.  Not enough sleep, stress in your life, almost any medical condition will reduce your ability to exercise.  At my checkup the other day, I got three vaccinations.  My next run did not go well, and I had to take a day off.

Speed work once a week is good.  Run hard for one minute, then walk until recovered.  Repeat five times.  Start with one minute running, and gradually build to two minutes.  Your effort level is hard, but less than a full out race effort.  You will not be talking during this workout.

If it is in you to run a 5k, then you will run a 5k. Someone taught me that is all that is needed. If it is not in you...you will not do what is not in you. Period. All mental. The rest follows. That is all.

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I agree that at 70 lifting is just as important as running.

You need to give more detail about your  running.

You should be able to run 3 miles if you have been running for a few years

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes