2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

oregonrw

Darkwave: I'm with Ilana - I need to do yoga (regularly, instead of sporadically)

Ilana; Enjoy the weather, but sorry about the skiing. Our snow hit late this year, so we're in pretty good shape for spring skiing.

Dad: This made me laugh: "hard to believe it'll be upper 60s, sunny, mild humidity (and breezy from NE) in just over a month."  Last year the Monday one week after the marathon was about 42 degrees and cloudy.  I'm still annoyed by that.

Arvind: Hope you are feeling better.

Ace: Uh oh.  Hopefully you get in to see someone quickly and a long(ish) taper helps.

Brewing: Congrats again on the 5k PR and nice race report. 5ks are painful.

Keen: I struggle during training with cutback weeks -- I convince myself that I am rapidly losing fitness by going from 54 down to 50 miles a week.  Totally rational, I know.  Hopefully you're a little more sane.

OMR: Hoping for good news from the doctor for you.

I had to take a day off yesterday - I couldn't run early and then things just didn't fall into place for me the rest of the day to fit in a run. This morning I ran 6 with strides in pouring rain, but at least it is done so no matter what else comes up today I'm good.  I'm getting a little nervous about the race on Sunday -- and this is why I really should race more often, so it's not as big a deal when I do!

Those last 8 minutes of "trying to be more still than the absolutely still that I thought I already was" were torture.  Waiting to get a call from the doctor.  

I usually fall asleep. Good luck w/ results/diagnosis.

Dad: This made me laugh: "hard to believe it'll be upper 60s, sunny, mild humidity (and breezy from NE) in just over a month."  Last year the Monday one week after the marathon was about 42 degrees and cloudy.  I'm still annoyed by that.

It was largely based on my experiences there ('13 and '17). +1 on "still annoyed." 

ThisIsNotSam

Jogger

I usually fall asleep. Good luck w/ results/diagnosis.

how?? that noise gives me nightmares

Mile 5:24 3k 11:01 5k 19:01 10k 38:34 hm 1:26:57 fm 3:02:33

OMR

how?? that noise gives me nightmares

They asked me if I wanted to listen to music, and I said, "No, I'll just listen to the rhythm of the machine."

ThisIsNotSam

Jogger

They asked me if I wanted to listen to music, and I said, "No, I'll just listen to the rhythm of the machine."

MRI SOUNDS -- Annoyance & Migraines

Mile 5:24 3k 11:01 5k 19:01 10k 38:34 hm 1:26:57 fm 3:02:33

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I love the sounds of MRIs - I'm an industrial/powernoise music fan, so they're like private concerts.  OMR - I see to recall having this convo before....

Ace - UGH on the hip.  Does it hurt when you lift the leg up?  Or when you place weight on it?  I had a nasty chronic groin tear for a while (cleared it up with PRP) - it never hurt when weightbearing, but lifting my knee up provoked a knife-like pain deep in my hip.

HI to all others.

Did 12 miles this AM - 3 miles warm-up (9:37), then 6x800 in 3:08, 3:04, 3:02, 3:04, 3:01, 3:00. 4.5 miles cooldown (9:17) plus lower body strengthwork and recovery swimming.

Last week, since I didn't get around to it before: 52 miles plus 30 "miles" pool-running.
                M: 9 "miles" pool-running.
                T: 7.5 miles very easy (8:54), upper body weights, core, DIY yoga, 3.5 miles very easy (8:36) plus drills/strides.
                W: 13 miles, including 25x400m at 10 mile race pace (95 seconds a lap) with 100m float in 30 seconds between each 400.  Followed with lower body strengthwork and recovery swimming.
                Th: yoga and 9 "miles" pool-running.
                F: 7.5 miles very easy (8:53), upper body weights, core, DIY yoga, 3.5 miles very easy (8:42) plus drills/strides.
                Sa: 17 miles, including 2x5 miles at something close to marathon pace with 1 mile jogged recovery - averaged 6:47 and 6:43 for the two segments.   Followed with lower body strengthwork, recovery swimming, and 2 "miles" of pool-running.
                Su: 10 "miles" pool-running.

Off to update the race chart.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

OMR

Dwave:  Yeah, I was lying there thinking that the MRI (and some crazed musician's time spent in it) created that entire genre.  ;-)

Got a call a little while ago.  The doc didn't go into specifics, but said that I have a radial tear and that he would have a surgeon contact me in the next day or two to get the ball rolling on surgery.

AceHarris

Went to my primary doc today (easier to get in). Did the X-ray. Normal. Which is good news, but doesn’t rule out stress fracture. Ordered an MRI. Trying to get it done ASAP.  Still a chance it’s an odd overuse injury. We’ll see. Fingers crossed.

DW: it hurts with about any activity on my feet, so mainly with weight bearing, but occasional hurts with hip flexion.

Never had an MRI, sounds like there are plenty of opinions on what to do with those 15-20 minutes.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

OMR

Ace:  I had an issue a few years ago, and basically couldn't lift my leg high enough to step up onto a curb because of the pain in my hip.  Turned out my pelvis was out of alignment, and two visits to a PT, plus some exercises and learning how to re-set it, took care of the problem.  Hopefully yours is something similar, with a simple solution.

Katia77

Oregon - I feel the same way about racing.. I'm not a frequent racer and right now the hassle aspect is annoying me about the half this Saturday. I'm sure I'll get over it.

OMR - sorry to hear it looks like surgery may be likely :/  If that's the case, hopefully it at least fixes it for good.

Ace - ugh so sorry about the hip pain.  Really hope it's just overuse and gets better soon.  Good luck w/the MRI.

Ilana/DW/Oregon - I really like yoga but I haven't had time/the physical reserve to do it this cycle.  I think after Botswana I'll get back to it a little.

MRIs - I'm just glad they've shortened the time it takes to get them done.  My first couple of MRIs took 45-60 minutes and were completely torture. It was my hamstring, so I was all the way in the tube and it was awful.  I've since had a handful, mostly on my back, and the 20 minutes was really nice! I hate the experience, though.

8.3 yesterday evening and 5.3 with neighbor this morning.  I was planning a bit more last night but one of my feet cramped up oddly on Monday and it was bugging me through yesterday's run so I cut a mile off. It felt better today so I think I made the right choice. I may try a short run this afternoon but will have to see how the day goes.

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

Speed Surplus

Ace - That sucks. Hopefully it's nothing major. Good luck with the MRI.

I did something dumb this week. Went out with a friend on Monday night and ate WAY too much food, after a large lunch. It literally made me sick for an entire day, so I only got 2.5 miles in yesterday. 

Feeling better today, so I'm going to try to make it up.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Ilana - Be careful! I might just take you up on that offer one of these days.

Oregon - The cutback has been weird so far. Reduced mileage is one thing, but my HR has been silly low today and yesterday, so it feels like I'm not doing anything at all. I'm really looking forward to 10 at MP during my LR this weekend!

Ace - Good luck with the MRI. 15-20 minutes is a lot faster than when I had one done in ~2004.

SClever - Bleh. Of course I see this after putting down a big sandwich, then a couple bananas loaded with peanut butter...

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

selfish driveby as i almost fall asleep... will properly catch up later!

i'm in switzerland for the second time ever and i just ran my second ever mile-repeats-on-the-track in switzerland. life and its coincidences. 
                              [this was yesterday, i fell asleep before i finished my post.]

yeah, 5k PR on sunday! 19:40 (though i have a photo of me stepping on the finish timing mat and the clock next to me says 19:39... hm.) splits were 6:09, 6:24, 6:07, final .16 @ 5:51 pace. had a good pack/conga line to work with (kinase). they changed the race this year - it is on our local USATF circuit - for the women to have their own race, an hour prior. this was great because the course is mostly on a narrow asphalt path and has lots of tight corners; I have good memories from previous years of getting elbowed out by dudes in the middle miles. (seriously?). kin and i burst in front of 3 gals from our pack on other teams, and the last mile was a solid one of embracing the hurt. i really enjoyed this race - it went by fast. 15 seconds feels like a big PR on a day when i wasn't sure if i was ready.

promise i will catch up later! good running, y'all.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Running Problem

Problem Child

Feeling a HUGE lack of motivation yesterday and today. Possibly due to the weather (40F, rain and 15-20 mph winds coming) and possible due to a lack of sleep (waking up around 2:00 am then not falling back asleep) kind of combine to bring the suck. I don't even want to walk on the treadmill for a few miles. It was so nice to get outside a day or so ago. I'm also kind of in a pissy mood for no good reason.

Still looking for vacation rentals for Chicago and just found out one place I liked rented for the Friday and Saturday leading up to the marathon. I'm still afraid I'll end up reserving a place and having people back out. Mostly my mother because it's going to be SOOOOO expensive to fly there, stay for anything longer than 3 days, then fly home and she will be giving me the "fixed income" lecture at that point even though she's currently working and going to wait until the last minute to buy plane tickets, which I should ALSO do. Adulting sucks sometimes.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22