misc update 10 (Read 2505 times)

eric :)

Wow! We just entered the double digit misc update terrority. Is this good or just a sign of too many bugs? Anyway, with all new changes, if something doesn't seem to be displaying correctly, please force a reload of the page to see if that helped before requesting support. YTD Chart (aka pace bunny) While I was on my vacation, there was a long discussion about the pace bunny and the leader board. The contention was that there are members with much higher weekly mileage than other members of the same distance group. The result is that the leader board will not show the members that are working hard to keep pace with the bunny. I did not consider the possibility of disparate mileages when design the leader board. Its original intent was to recognize the members that work hard at keeping pace with the bunny. After reading your feedbacks, I got rid of the leader board and introduced a sorted list by distance in its place. You still can sort alphabetically as well. New Groups Indictor I don't know how many new groups are created each week, but we know that there are many groups. The problem is that there's no easy way to tell if a group is new. Since this is an easy feature to add, I added a new icon next to groups that are created in the last month. I picked one month arbitrarily and maybe it's a bit too long. If that's the case, I can reduce it at a later time. On the groups' main page, there's also a new section called "Latest Groups". It lists the six newest non-private group. If you created a private group, it will not be listed here because this list is intended to tell users of new groups that they can readily join. Filtering Inactive Groups There are quite a few number of inactive groups here, which clutter up the directory. From now on, if a group has been inactive (with no forum posting or new member signup) for three months, it will not be displayed in the directory. This does not affect anything else about the group. Group Activity Indicator The groups can now differentiate between new forum activity from new members joining. Additional forum tags I enabled the following tags for use in the forums:
  • table
  • tr
  • th
  • td
  • pre
  • Bug fixes Along with minor bugs, I also fixed the broken copy map function the groups. It was created when I converted the site to use search engine safe Urls in the last set of changes.

Cryptic

Good deal. Thanks for all the hard work!
      va

Hi Eric, Great enhancements! Thanks! Smile
        Wingz

Professional Noob

YTD Chart (aka pace bunny)
          Looks good! Thank you for your quick response to this issue.
          New Groups Indictor
          This was a cool idea! Thanks to whoever suggested it.
          Filtering Inactive Groups
          YES!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! Big grin
          Group Activity Indicator The groups can now differentiate between new forum activity from new members joining.
          Appreciated. Smile
          Additional forum tags
          LOL! Now someone just needs to teach us how to use these... Roll eyes Eric, you spend SO much time working on this site and making it user-friendly. Thank you for all your hard work. Janell modified to fix typos.

Roads were made for journeys...

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

someone just needs to teach us how to use these
            Yay, now I can use a table
            but uh ohit looks like newlines in tables between tags are respected
            Wink
            eric :)

Yay, now I can use a table
              but uh ohit looks like newlines in tables between tags are respected
              Wink
              The obvious solution is to not introduce new lines. Problem solved. Seriously though, the whether to ignore new lines is somewhat complicated and somewhat beyond my programming abilities. Some parts of the site can make sweeping decisions on whether to treat text as plain or HTML by seeing if it contains HTML tags, while other pages cannot. The forum pages belong to the latter. I can't have the software treat the post either as plain text or HTML formated because many posts are mixtures of both. Eventually I'll be switching to use a WYSIWYG editor and that will fix the problem for sure.