question about overall, masters, and age group placing (Read 172 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

The big jump this year was a pretty big surprise (and obviously disappointment) to a lot of people.

I don't have a major beef with how they do it. They want to let the fastest qualifiers in, but they also want to fill the race up. If they just moved the standards by 5 minutes, everyone who qualified would get in, but they would presumably have fewer participants. It's certainly frustrating to run a marathon and not know what you need, but I don't have a better system. Maybe move it by 5 min, all qualifiers get in, then they have a 2nd round of registrations for people within BQ+5? It would end up with basically the same effect, but psychologically maybe you get more people happy they got added rather than upset they got excluded.

I thought 20% or so of the race was made up of invitational entrants/charity runners so surely they should be the ones missing out rather than the qualifiers who’ve put in the training. They could move the BQ times by 3 min so that the percentage is still roughly the same...but all qualifiers are accepted first.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Years ago at an inaugural 5K race at the awards ceremony they announce the overall winner and this young man walked up to get his trophy. Then they announced the first male winner and called up the same runner. Then they started calling up the age group winners including this same young man. He was quite confused walking away with 3 trophies. I suppose if he had been a masters runner and they had given out first masters and also first male masters he could have had 5 trophies which shows the absurdity of double dipping. For what it's worth if I win an age group award and am asked how I placed in my age group, I tell them I what the age group award says.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

I thought 20% or so of the race was made up of invitational entrants/charity runners so surely they should be the ones missing out rather than the qualifiers who’ve put in the training. They could move the BQ times by 3 min so that the percentage is still roughly the same...but all qualifiers are accepted first.

Well I suppose you might get some argument from the charities receiving the $34 million dollars raised last year.

Dave

Years ago at an inaugural 5K race at the awards ceremony they announce the overall winner and this young man walked up to get his trophy. Then they announced the first male winner and called up the same runner. Then they started calling up the age group winners including this same young man. He was quite confused walking away with 3 trophies. I suppose if he had been a masters runner and they had given out first masters and also first male masters he could have had 5 trophies which shows the absurdity of double dipping having so many awards. For what it's worth if I win an age group award and am asked how I placed in my age group, I tell them I what the age group award says.

I suppose this is the other way to look at it. You have enough awards, and you need to come up with convoluted, counterintuitive rules if you want to avoid people getting multiples.

You have obviously been racing a lot longer than me, but I've never seen a race giving both overall awards and overall gender awards. That seems bizarre.

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Well I suppose you might get some argument from the charities receiving the $34 million dollars raised last year.

That’s why I suggested raising the standard so that the percentage is still roughly the same. You can raise money for a charity at any marathon.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

berylrunner

Rick

Paul, congrats on your race and award.

Me, I am in no position to take any awards, so hard for me to answer your question.  So what stands out is your overall place.  That's impressive.  Also your time.  You didn't mention if that was a PR or not.  In the grand scheme of things aren't you just competing with yourself?  There are always better runners out there.

I like to keep things simple.  When I worked for a company that put on Ultra races, 6 total awards.  Top 3 males, top 3 females.  Even that caused some problems.  Can't imagine dealing with all of the other awards big road races.

A few years ago I won an age group award in a small 5k.  The two ahead of me got bumped up to the overall awards.  While I have the nice medal, I do remember that I was beat by quite a few others that day and the top 100 runners that ran the half marathon going on at the same time had a faster pace than me.  So not much to brag about.

As for masters or age groups.  Blah, I am a much better runner now at 46 than I was at 39 even though my times are slower.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Years ago at an inaugural 5K race at the awards ceremony they announce the overall winner and this young man walked up to get his trophy. Then they announced the first male winner and called up the same runner. Then they started calling up the age group winners including this same young man. He was quite confused walking away with 3 trophies. I suppose if he had been a masters runner and they had given out first masters and also first male masters he could have had 5 trophies which shows the absurdity of double dipping. For what it's worth if I win an age group award and am asked how I placed in my age group, I tell them I what the age group award says.

Heh - I had the opposite experience once.  I finished second female in a race where they did not give age group awards, just overall top three.

So, waited around for 45 minutes for the awards, only to learn that "overall top three" was literal - no separate awards for women...

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.