Do I REALLY eat that much? (Read 365 times)

2 gallons a week. whole milk, not that blue stuff.  favorite beverage in the world.  Wish there were milk bars . . . but we know where that leads.

panda

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

Mmmmm...beer

Oh, and more on the eating/drinking... I don't drink a lot, it's usually wine when I do, and I eat pretty healthily --except for the sweets, which I "gave up" yesterday... we'll see how long that lasts.  I eat healthy food, I think I just eat too much of it.

You can easily gain weight eating "healthy".  For the most part, calories are calories, your body doesn't know if they came from a twinkie or from fruit, if there are excess calories, they're getting stored as fat.  It cracks me up when people say they're eating "clean", but can't understand why they're not losing weight.  JJS nailed it, the calculators are all estimates, regardless of what the math says, if someone isn't losing weight, they need to eat less.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Jess runs for bacon

You can easily gain weight eating "healthy".  For the most part, calories are calories, your body doesn't know if they came from a twinkie or from fruit, if there are excess calories, they're getting stored as fat.  It cracks me up when people say they're eating "clean", but can't understand why they're not losing weight.  JJS nailed it, the calculators are all estimates, regardless of what the math says, if someone isn't losing weight, they need to eat less.

Agreed, but I will say it is a lot harder to eat more calories when eating clean, IMO. If I try to cut out processed foods it's a struggle for me to eat the right number of calories.

But then I get to drink the difference Smile

L.Chang

Periods of high stress can cause weight gain in some people. Cortisol. Add lack of sleep to that and it can be worse.

This is very true! I've tried licorice tea because it lowers cortisol, and that may help if the weight gain is due to high stress. Other than that, I agree that sugar can definitely be another culprit (and cheese).

L.Chang

Thanks for starting this thread! I am definitely a penguin and it was Bingham's "No Need for Speed" book that helped me be OK with running slowly.

SheCan

I'm sorry if someone else already mentioned this, as I haven't read the whole thread yet.  Scientific American put out an article last month about how the calories in / calories out thing is not quite as simple as we've been lead to believe.   Here's a short video about the article:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/video.cfm?id=why-calorie-counts-are-wrong2013-08-20

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson