2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

oregon I recall running while at Disneyworld. I ran early morning in October but for me the hard part was walking all day long, getting home late and trying to get up early for a workout. I think I ran 13 total miles so good for you getting it done.

Dwave Do you think next year being a qualifying year for the 125th April Marathon might change the 45-49 age group? Would people focus on marathon training and run the mile "because I always run it", or would it still be stacked with mile runners who want to break 5:00 pace? Oh and I'm a sub 67% Age Group runner. D PLUS! PARTY TIME!  Stay dry.

ace wanting to quit at the start isn't uncommon for me. I can say there were longer workouts where mile 1 I wasn't having it and I was just out there running whatever pace I felt like "wasn't fast" and around 2.5 I'd get an attitude change. Almost like some "dad voice" came in talking to me like "okay...now that THAT'S over are you feeling better? Can we maybe get into this?" Maybe similar to running with a group and NO ONE is talking because EVERYONE is just in a cranky mood for the first 15 minutes. After that it's all good. I think the main thing to remember is "marathon training sucks." 

As for running while traveling....just go to bed early, wake up early, and you'll probably get at least distance runs in. Coming back when coffee is made (maybe pancakes too) is kind of nice. Sometimes it makes me feel better coming back like "yeah, I can workout on vacation. It really isn't that hard" and I get my hour-ish of quiet morning time.

keen idk....3:47 for the 1,000m is slightly intimidating. Honestly I'm wondering if I'd have been smarter doing a 41-55 MPW 2Q plan for workouts with the main goal being the 56-70 MPW. It might have made me less elite though. I have the Garmin workout set for 6:11-6:17 pace. I was around 6:25 last week, but maybe it was the 8 mile warm up. Who knows.

As for the "recovering from the weekend" question you had....35 days  without a problem. 

Berlin marathon Kichoge will blow up. I'll be too busy doing something to watch it unless I record it and skip commercials.

marathon shoes I need to figure out what I'm wearing. I did my 17.5 mile long run in my New Balance Zantes. I had some slight knee irritation for a mile or so which makes me not want to run my marathon in them. I've done a lot of running in my Brooks Launch including speed and an 18 mile long run (2.5 hours). I can't say I've had problems with speed or distance, but they weigh more. I can't afford to buy Vaporfly's and have them not contribute a 4% positive impact on my marathon time with zero experience with them. I've worn through the rear left heel portion of the left foot of the Launch I have at home, and the ball of the foot area is the only other area showing wear. I can't say I've looked at the bottom of my Zantes. Maybe I'll bring both and wear the green ones because they're light and look faster.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

fb-guy

Hey all -- hope your summer was great and that it wasn't too hot and the f'ing fires eventually died down and air quality is back to OK. Quick catch up.

OMR, Rovatti and Ilana all back out on the road. That sounds great to me.

Rovatti -- I see that you are sticking to every other day for now, but am guessing that just being back out there must feel great. That, except for the awful NYC weather the past couple of weeks.

OMR -- fast. Damn. You're just clicking along running sub 8s. What's your HR doing at that speed?

Ace -- very nice time despite the conditions. It's funny how race placement (8 OA) can be really good on a day where you don't get to enjoy a really fast time -- and nobody really knows how to judge placement. Race size, who showed up, etc. Well done!

RLK not doing Boston. Sad face. :-(

PJ -- I am hopelessly behind, but I hope your summer was OK and not too weird, and that you are in one piece. I grew up in the Central Valley, and it gets pretty damn hot in the summer. Sacto -- home of the CIM finishing line.

DW -- a very fast mile right past our older daughter's apartment. I asked her if she was interested in doing; she laughed.

Brew -- fast mile.

Rune -- nice "race"; October is close and being able to hang with GMP without suffering is a good sign.

CK -- 10 @ 7:12 @ 81% sounds pretty good to me.

Me -- August really kicked my butt. Between the heat and too many late summer nights, I only ran 112 miles pretty slow and felt crappy. That, and a couple of inflamed achilles. But it's cooling down and ice is working on the heels, and I'm feeling better (fewer parties). I'm still hoping to run Valencia with ESG on December 2, and then Boston. My -5 lets me register on Friday, and I'm hoping to seeing both daughters there and friends. I can't really tell if RWOL has very many B-town runners this year.

I checked my logs and 3-6 months out from my April marathon this year, and I 362 miles (not a lot) @ 7:57, and for the 3-6 months leading up to Valencia, I've had 511 @ 8:42. So a bigger base, though slower. I'm hoping to say healthy for 600 miles Sept - Nov with some good LRs. We'll see what my body thinks about all of this.

Happy end of summer! DD2 is still here for two weeks before going back to college, so we're pretending summer is still here. That and it's still in the 90s.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Leaving for the beach on Friday night, so moving my long run to Friday morning instead of Saturday. Hoping to stay on track at the beach and not skip workouts. It's a fun, but exhausting week with 4 families. A total of 8 adults and 10 kids under 5 years old all in one house!

Which beach?  Aren't you in Tennessee?  The Carolina beaches are gonna be no-gos.

And no, Runalyze makes lousy predictions for me.  I've inputted two marathons into it, and it still claims that it doesn't have enough data to predict my marathon performance, other than that I should be able to breach 3:28.

CK - that's exactly what that blip was.  For some reason I didn't wear my strap, and my coach held it for me - the blip is from when I ran near him....

Thought about you while running easy today.  I take about 6-8 steps when breathing in while running easy, and another 6-8 steps when breathing out.  So not quite 4/4.

Dwave Do you think next year being a qualifying year for the 125th April Marathon might change the 45-49 age group? Would people focus on marathon training and run the mile "because I always run it", or would it still be stacked with mile runners who want to break 5:00 pace? 

Honestly, I think that there is absolutely no overlap between women my age who are concerned about running Botulism on the 125th anniversary, and women my age who are trying to run fast road miles.  Any woman my age who can break 6:00 for the mile should have absolutely no issue BQing by a large margin. (My BQ next year is 3:55...)   And I don't think most people who focus on the mile care that much about Botulism anyway.

FB!  Good to see you back!

Hi to all others.  Did 9 miles very easy total today - started with an extended 5 miles at 9:42 pace (warmed-up and cooled down with my teammates) and ended up just cheering on the workout in between.  Then did weights/core at the gym before another 4 miles very easy home (9:02) plus drills/strides.

My coach and I decided on Sunday to skip the Tuesday intervals workout in lieu of 16x400 at 10K pace (100 recovery) on Wednesday.  [this is an abbreviated version of the 25x400].  This is because I have to do my long run on Saturday this weekend, and Sunday race+Tuesday intervals+Thursday tempo+Saturday long run was going to be too much sandwiched together.

Forecast has changed - now looks like Florence will stay south.  Awful news for the Carolinas; good news for my parents and retired horse, all of whom live very close to the water on Maryland's eastern shore.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Only 11 days behind...

There's a nice movie out about the Sri Chinmoy 3100 mile race around a block in NYC.  The movie is better than the topic would suggest.  3100: Run and Become.  One quote from the movie (paraphrasing probably): "You know it's a real race when you have to get a haircut during the race.  Everything shorter than that is just a sprint."  It just opened in a few best coast cities for 1-2 weeks, and will travel around after that.

Keen:  "Always wear a chest strap when racing when you care about HR".  Optical/wrist monitors are basically useless, especially when you want them most (workouts).  Congrats on the 5k PR.

Brew: I lost most of the past weekend paying way too much attention to Tahoe 200.  I was still checking this morning to make sure a friend finished!

Ace: Congrats on the HM in challenging conditions.

Ilana: I miss the dancing bananas and elephants.

Darkwave:  Amazing grace cadence.

McBen: Yep, I'm out too for Badarganj.  Missed out on the rains in April due to injury, had the intelligence not to register for any other marathons this year, no qualifier for next year, which might mean I don't have to run a marathon next year either.  (He posts to a thread about marathon training.)

Heading to McCall Idaho for a sprint this weekend.  Not sure I'm recovered from the last sprint but they haven't checked with me yet to see if they should move the race back a few weeks.  I've seen Idaho while driving through but never on foot.

Running Problem

Problem Child

max I think I know who you were tracking and I assumed you weren't too worried about her finishing. Did you offer any advice such as "watch out for runners offering help between Heavenly and Inline Village"? Enjoy Idaho, but bring some drinks because Idaho is kind of a dry climate.

Keen so I was toying with the JD spreadsheet from the Sub 1:30 group...Turns out if I adjust my weight for my current weight towards the bottom my VDOT is calculated at 52.4. I MIGHT try some speed tonight and see if I can hang with the "kewl kids" at the end. MIGHT.

Dwave I agree with everything you said. I wouldn't expect it to get easier because there is a marathon, but maybe a few of this year's participants switch gears. Good luck on that 3:55 marathon. Could you actually run that slow of a marathon by feel? Easy run for almost 4 hours...would the mentality of the run come in? random thought I just had.

This week, while being good for running, seems to continue to throw a bunch of annoying things at me to keep my "pissed off or irritated" meter around a 6. This isn't exactly the best level, but at least it isn't taper week. I may postpone today's speed workout. Something about 20 MPH winds being "less than ideal" for speed workout. 10-15 might be better (tomorrow's forecast) regardless of the high possibility of wind in Chicago. Maybe a medium long run is in order. #doomed

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

AceHarris

dwave: Rosemary beach in gulf coast of Florida. Should be good weather. My sister lives in Charleston, SC. Waiting to hear if she’s evacuating

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Running Problem

Problem Child

dwave: Rosemary beach in gulf coast of Florida. Should be good weather. My sister lives in Charleston, SC. Waiting to hear if she’s evacuating

Best wishes. I have family outside Norfolk so (thankfully) it is forecasted predicted to miss them.

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Smax - enjoy Idaho - I'm guessing the course will offer boiled potatoes at the aid stations?

(in law school, a friend had an "Idaho" party.  Featured vodka and French fries because....potatoes...)

Brewing - I think I could probably pull off a 3:55, just because that pace is my normal easy run pace, so I could lock into it without difficulty.  I think it would be much harder, independent of the physical exertion, to run something faster than that but slower than my own MP, just because I'd have difficulty locking into the pace.

Ace - enjoy the beach.  Echoing Brewing in wishing the best for your sister.

12 miles for me today.  3 warm-up (9:17), then 16x400 at 10K pace with 100m "float recoveries"  Averaged 1:33.5 for the 400s, so 6:16 pace.  Which is my 10K PR pace, but I'm not in that shape right now.  Hence my "cheating" on the recoveries, which started at 30 seconds per 100m and slowed to 37-38 by the end.

4 miles cool-down (9:32), and then injury prevention work and recovery swimming.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

DWave: Now that you mention it, hopefully they'll serve vodka at the aid stations.

Brew: You should look for races that feature 20mph headwinds - you have the perfect training environment for that.  Go with your strengths.

Saw some sad news on FB just now relating to a 3:20 person.  The news was bad enough that I'm having trouble matching a real life name to a username - my brain has shorted out.  It's like running into a person and not being able to pull up their name.  Not a good feeling.  But I'll take that over the 3:20 person's feelings right now.

Strict WTF adherent

Max- Awful. Check PMs.

Maybe you can re-qualify during your sprint

4.5 easy and 2 easy for me. Leg thing seems to respond well to an extended warmup, which is something I don't do unless I'm specifically avoiding a workout.

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

My sprint is not a qualifier - too many extra miles.  It is a Hardrock qualifier though, so that's something.

OMR

max:  Sorry to hear.  Good luck with your sprint.

FB:  Good to see you back.  My HR at those paces is through the roof, but my running right now is centered around my knee, not aerobic development.  For whatever reason, it seems to pop more the slower I run.  So, I'm doing a RLRF thing for now...it's not good training in the long term, but hopefully I will be able to slow down over time while increasing the miles.  I'm admittedly just a little jealous of your plan to get 600 miles in three months, seeing as how I haven't hit 500 for the year yet.

Hey to everyone, my workload is ridiculous this semester, so keeping up with posting is difficult.  But...still reading.

Monday/Tuesday were rest days for me due to work; today was a set of 400s (12) and 200s (4) comfortably hard, until I felt it was time to stop.  About 3.5M @ 6:20 OA.

fb-guy

OMR -- well, it's fun running fast and blowing all that accumulated gunk out of your lungs. It's interesting that your knee acts up going slow. Had to Google RLRF, but yes -- there you have it. I wonder if other things, like your feet and achilles are happy going that fast. Still, I can relate; in the past I had this "I can run at this speed forever" pace that I have definitely lost. I seem to be feel tired and sore, even if I'm going really slow, so WTF, go faster. My overall training pace is faster and race pace is a lot slower. these days. Way to go. Good luck with the schedule and actually having to teach!

Max -- have fun in Idaho, and sorry to hear about marathons and qualifying. I guess we do different things are different stages of life.

But I am finding the 3:20 story a little disconcerting. Hopefully not too bad, and not someone we all know.

After a day off yesterday for a doctor appt, I ran 5@8:30 at 118 AHR, about 71% today. So my cardio seems OK (not good but OK) coming out of the very hot summer. It's cooling down here. Thank god.

Hey all. CIM is coming.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

[Got it.]

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew: You should look for races that feature 20mph headwinds - you have the perfect training environment for that.  Go with your strengths.

I hear there is one on the East Coast about 13 days after my birthday in 2020. I'd enjoy running it with friends. We could discuss the differences between wind in dry conditions vs wind in humid conditions and how marathon training sucks.

VDOT 53.37