Switch shoes during run (Read 239 times)

bhearn

OK. I finally get to ask this question. How can you record it properly when you switch shoes during a run? You can only assign one equipment to a workout. So it's going to have too many miles. To account for the excess, can you reset its initial mileage negative? I will try it and find out.

The second pair will have its mileage underreported. In that case I guess you add the distance to its initial mileage.

Switching shoes is something many people do during ultras. I always stage an extra pair if it's 100+ miles, but this is the first time I've actually used them.

JimR

#firstworldultrarunnersproblems

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

The second pair will have its mileage underreported. In that case I guess you add the distance to its initial mileage.

This is what I've done.

steph  

John Wood

I just did this last weekend, needed to change shoes at the 10 mile turn around on what wound up a 26 mile run. I logged all the miles on the shoe that went the longest, then went back to my log and found 10 miles on that shoe from a previous run and changed that to the shoe I started with.

jsfuller

You could "split the workout" into two workouts.

First, copy / duplicate the workout. Then you can assign a shoe to each workout and delete the miles that don't apply. But, if you also want summary information for that workout, it will also be split (e.g. it will no longer show up as a race PR).

I suppose you could make a third copy and not assign a shoe to that one, but that may mess with your other totals. Maybe assign the two shoe workouts to an "other" activity?

catwhoorg

Labrat

I just assign the shoe I start off in.

Adjust the 'initial" mileage downwards for that shoe, and add miles to the other pair(s) used.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

hazelmark760

Switching a shoes is not a solution, in my opinion in running you need to wear lightweight and flexible shoes, I also have many running shoes and I mostly buy from reecoupons, because I get discount from there, nowadays st.patrick deals are available there, I suggest you take an advantage from this sale, go on St. Patricks Day Coupons and buy according to your need.

arbish817

My brother is a runner and he always got 1st position in his running competition but in his last completion, he faced some problems due to problem of his shoes so I thought he wants new shoes and I bought for him comfortable running shoes from 80eighty promo code in a very low price.

Running Problem

Problem Child

OK. I finally get to ask this question. How can you record it properly when you switch shoes during a run? You can only assign one equipment to a workout. So it's going to have too many miles. To account for the excess, can you reset its initial mileage negative? I will try it and find out.

Switching shoes is something many people do during ultras. I always stage an extra pair if it's 100+ miles, but this is the first time I've actually used them.

It would be easier to find a pair of shoes you can wear for the entire race even if you cross water.

Start a second activity if you're worried about tracking the mileage on your shoes for a race instead of finishing the race.

What would resetting the initial mileage do? You'd have to know how many miles you're going to run unrecorded...which you'd need to record.

How do people finish ultra marathons without tracking every miles for their shoes? This would be a better question to ask.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

I see sneaky spammers have found this thread.

How often should one change shoes when sitting at a computer infiltrating forums all day? Every 4 hours?

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

peterjohnee1

You will find joy in helping others with all your heart cookie clicker interesting games.

keeponrunning

Last time I tried to enter a negative mileage on a shoe it wouldn't let me, but that was a few years ago so maybe it's been updated.

Other than that...no real suggestion. I've only switched shoes a couple times during ultras.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

RichardR

This doesn't seem all that difficult of a problem.

One would assume that the same two pairs of shoes might be changed in another ultra at some point as well, so....

Just count each one as if it were run with only one pair of shoes.

However, since that might quite match enough for the sake of getting the "miles on shoes" category just right, then, as one poster above said...

Record it as if it were only one pair of shoes.  Then, you have, for example:

Gel Cumulus owes Ghost 40 miles.

So, you go through your log and find 40 miles worth of Cumulus miles in various workouts, and change them to Ghost.

Of course, all of that simply assumes that all you are concerned about with your shoes is the total miles you have run in them. If you are tracking metrics like whether your track workouts are faster or slower or feel easier in one pair of shoes vs another, then you wouldn't want to change the numbers out...

In that case, you probably need more detailed activity tracking than is available here, anyway....

LRB

totally off-topic

I switched shoes during a run back in 2017 and realized my daily trainers were not only exacerbating my PF, they were the cause of it.

It was just dumb luck that upon completing a track workout, I stopped home to change out of my flats to run another 2 miles for that day's mileage quota. Up until that point I had just been dealing with the searing pain in my arch and heel for weeks, chasing mythical diagnoses and fantasy cures. When in fact, it was the shoes.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I am ridiculously late to this thread, but....

on the rare times I have done this during a run, I just copy the run entry in my log (so I have it twice).  Then I assign one pair of shoes to each run, with the miles run in that shoe noted as "interval" and the miles run in the other shoe noted as "rest".  For example, if I do a 20 mile long run and swap shoes at mile 12, I enter that run twice in my log; one entry has 12 miles and one pair of shoes; the other has 8 miles and the other pair of shoes.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.