One Race a Month - October? (Read 769 times)

jeffdonahue

I dunno Jeff the 40+ year olds look pretty damn fast to me. I've won my age group a couple of times despite being beaten by some 40+ year olds. It feels kind of stupid when that happens.
    yeah, I see that too - that's why I only mentioned the younger crowd. I typically wouldnt place inthe 40-49 AG either Big grin

#artbydmcbride

I'm still in; ran 5 races in October. Smile And November will be at least 2.

Runners run

xor

I dunno Jeff the 40+ year olds look pretty damn fast to me. I've won my age group a couple of times despite being beaten by some 40+ year olds. It feels kind of stupid when that happens.
        Huh. Wait til you get beat by a person running with a dog or a stroller. Incidentally, I'm learning that some people really hate to finish behind a guy in pink. Depending on my mood and how they choose to edge me out, this can be tremendously fun or annoying. Anyway, it isn't universal that we all get slow and creaky when turning 40. But we are closer to our first colonoscopy.

Bugs

40+ year old MEN run faster in MN too. For woman 30+ is the fast group. Mostly I see it as a training difference, at least of the woman I know.

Bugs

Best Present Ever

40+ year old MEN run faster in MN too. For woman 30+ is the fast group. Mostly I see it as a training difference, at least of the woman I know.
            Interesting. The NYtimes had an article a while back on why 40 year old women are often faster than 20 year olds, and the author (gina kolata i assume) speculated that younger women just didn't try as hard. I didn't think that made a lick of sense as the 20 year olds grew up with title IX, while the 40 year old women didn't have as much access to competitive sports. In any case, it's the 40 year old women around my parts that are fast (not me!) while the men are dominated by guys in their late 20s and 30s. In the case of the women, it may be the particular individuals -- there's a handful of women who generally place in the first 3 of every race.

Bugs

mamaofthree, First when I say the 30 year old are more competive than the 20 year old, I mean at the local fun run races not the professional level. At the local fun runs the 20+ seem to be busy doing other things, the 30+ year olds are having their midlife crisis and training for a marathons, thus putting in more miles than the 20 year olds. This is just my opinion of what I see, clearly no research or real statistics involved. For me personally being 36, it may be now or never to hit some of those goal times. I FINALLY GOT HARDWARE! Was race #20, and I won my A.G. Happy as a five year at x-mas. Big grin

Bugs

A Saucy Wench

Here the fastest women are 40-45. I get my ass kicked by the masters woman every time. But the 35-39 are more tightly clustered. There will be 2-3 really fast 40+ and then it drops off rapidly, where the 35-39 you'll probably have 75% of the field within a few minutes of eachother. (in the 5K-HM dist) I agree with bugs that at the funrun level the 20 year olds arent all that focused. What you tend to see is people who maybe ran HS or college track or XC and now they go out and do these races on a weekend without training and are shocked that they arent as fast as they were when they were 17. MTA: as far as the title 9 thing...I'm 38 and really by the time I hit junior high and highschool, women had access to sports, especially track and XC. It was in 1972 and while it took awhile to get going, that puts 40 year olds in the thick of it.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Personally I just hate my age group - way too many fast people in it. when I look at results sometimes I see that I would have placed or even won had I been 10 years younger sometimes, but the stupid 30-39 AG always seems to have the fastest guys.
                  Every time I run a race, I compare myself to the 30-39/40-49 and 60-69..........Its amazing what you see.. Take a hard look at the 50-59 and 60-69....The are not all rubber burners, but you will be shocked at some of the times.... I think its hard to win any age category....and getting tougher all the time.... There are a lot of really good runners out there.....and it seems like they all run in my races..... Big grin Big grin Big grin

Champions are made when no one is watching

I won my AG in my last 5k. I am 23 years old. I ran a 20:18. I finished ninth. That means that no one my age ran well. On top of that, what sucks is the 40-45 group and the 13-20 group smoked me.
                      Okay I am still in this crazy thing. I have nailed a marathon or two each month this year. I even ran 2 for October. Chicago, and then the MCM. I was one of 5 who ran 177.5 miles to raise money for the Injured MArines Fund . We ran 37.8, 37.8, 37.8, 37.9 and 26.2 in consecutive days. Very enjoyable and fun for a good cause with good people. Novemeber has me running the Mississipi Guilf Coast Marathon. There are a couple of doable options for December.

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"  Davy Crockett

Bugs

I am really loosing interest in this goal, and all I have left is December. I need to quick organize a 5K in my town so I don't have to drive or pay $25.

Bugs

#artbydmcbride

All the turkey trots are this month. I bet you can cherry pick one near you. Big grin

Runners run

Wah, I screwed up and missed September.