Running Injury? Collar Bone? (Read 622 times)

Yes, that is right.... I got one of those - not so normal - running injuries.... a broken collar bone! All the runners I have talked to over the past few days said they have seen runners tripped, and then twist their ankle or something like that, but not an injury like mine. You can read the full story here because it is too hard to type too much with one hand. http://blog.262quest.com/2008/06/down-for-count.html
    "Better to take the slow approach then the no approach."
    My Quest to a Marathon blog.262quest.com
      I read your blog and that really stinks! I think it would still be a good idea for you to walk the July race. At least you have a unique story now? Wink
      Don't look at me, I'm just here to run.
        Yea, that is my current plan. I will be one of the very few in time group 1A with a chip to walk the race, but I will see parts of the race and experience it in a way I wouldn't otherwise. Going to see the Ortho in the next hour to see the actual damage and healing time estimate.
          Tim, I just read your blog about the SWAT race Cry.......Now I have been running off and on for over 20 years and have had a lot of weird things happen to me over the years. Also, mostly due to POOR training when I was young, I 'thought' Id had every possible running injury there there ever was....but now I know that I was wrong. I never broke a collar bone running....so this is a new trick for an old dog...... I personally think you should walk the july 4th race........just so you can say you did...... Recover soon.....and you'll be back in no time..... Steffani - where in Tx do you live....I grew up in Hereford, TX (in the Panhandle)........and went to College at West Texas State.............JohnA

Champions are made when no one is watching

Yea, that is my current plan. I will be one of the very few in time group 1A with a chip to walk the race, but I will see parts of the race and experience it in a way I wouldn't otherwise. Going to see the Ortho in the next hour to see the actual damage and healing time estimate.
            I feel your pain! Broke my collar bone in two places in 2001 and it SUCKED! Don't let them put you on any kind of steroid based anti inflamitory! Took mine close to a year to heal due partly to wrong meds!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Steffani - where in Tx do you live....I grew up in Hereford, TX (in the Panhandle)........and went to College at West Texas State.............JohnA
              John - I live in Lubbock, Texas and am moving to Snyder in about 10 days. I was in Hereford a few months ago for a wedding, cute town. Smile
              Don't look at me, I'm just here to run.
                  http://blog.262quest.com/2008/06/surgery-it-will-be.html
                  Why the surgery??? THat break looks ALMOST exactly like mine. Mine protrudes but other than the long ass time it took to heal it hasn't given me any problems. Though I have to admit at 6 months post break, I begged for surgery.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

He said that it could go both ways, but the surgery would let it heal much quicker and insure it would heal correctly. He said it would take much longer to heal and there would be more possibility of issues, although slight possibilities with letting it heal the way it was.

SMART Approach

Tim, I have had docs prescribe EXOGEN bone healing system for this fracture and have healed well. You would still have a bump but some don't mind as surgery always has a risk. Certainly your doc may know best. You can also use EXOGEN with ORIF to enhance healing. See if your insurance will cover an ultrasonic bone healing system. code E0760

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Thanks all for the kind words, well wishes, thoughts, and mostly prayers. http://blog.262quest.com/2008/06/surgery-went-well.html