So long, Steve. (Read 2110 times)

bhearn

Not sure I'd buy right now...it's run up pretty far and fast...at least wait until the post-Jobs knee-jerk dip.  I'm not sure there is any other single person as tied to the brand and value of a company as Steve Jobs.

Well when I posted, Apple was down 25 in after-hours trading. But it opened yesterday only down 2. And today it's up 7.5. Even so, by many metrics Apple stock is still going at fire-sale prices. 

I just wish the guy the best of luck dealing with the medical issues.

Likewise.

xhristopher

Here's a good blog post I read today on this topic.

"So can Apple survive without Steve Jobs? Who gives a shit. It’s a selfish question."

Tramps

And, for me--who doesn't follow tech stuff closely--10 Things You Didn't Know about Steve Jobs was interesting.

Be safe. Be kind.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Here's a good blog post I read today on this topic.

"So can Apple survive without Steve Jobs? Who gives a shit. It’s a selfish question."

very good.

steph  

Imminent Catastrophe

OOO!

Were you flying at the time???  I hear that ipads in the cockpit are a-ok now.  Or something.

Not where I work. We use technology invented by Gutenberg circa 1440 (although I've heard rumors of certain individuals pulling up weather radar on mobile devices, which is not authorized). Perhaps, decades from now, technology from 2011 will be fully utilized.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

So long FOR REAL, Steve.

Sad

I'm sad.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

galberras

fear the Col Sanders

Massive bummer.  Such a brilliant mind and innovator.

I can't believe the shortness between his last "... oh, and one more thing" and this.

Truly a sad day.

Just because I look dumb doesn't mean I'm not...

Very sad to see him go at such a young age.  The world has lost a great innovator. 

RIP Mr. Jobs. 

xor

I can't believe the shortness between his last "... oh, and one more thing" and this.

Perhaps it is the grim reaper in me (as this hits close to home), but I kind of figured it would go somewhat like this.  He stayed in the game as long as he could.  It was his passion, clearly.  That said, pretty sure everyone involved would have liked more time. Like endless time.

Cancer sucks, and pancreatic cancer really really sucks.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Stanford commencement, 2005:

No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don’t want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life’s change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

bhearn

I feel like I should post something else in this thread, but I really don't know what to say. I am saddened that this had to happen so soon. But like Robert, I guess I'm not really surprised: he hung on at Apple as long as he could. When he resigned, it seemed likely he wouldn't have long left.

Not really apropos his passing, I suppose, but for whatever reason, this is the one fragment of conversation I had with him that sticks in my mind the most. We were discussing who would actually own some software we were negotiating licensing / selling to Apple. He said:

"You know, I don't give a shit who owns something. I care about who can control something."

galberras

fear the Col Sanders

Stanford commencement, 2005:

No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don’t want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life’s change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

I like the way he ends that talk:

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.

Thank you all very much. 

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2005/june15/jobs-061505.html

Between his stepping and down and authorizing the biography, I figured his time was short.  I was thinking more in the year or two range rather than < 6 months.  Does anyone know if the book is still on?  I haven't heard about it for a while now...

Just because I look dumb doesn't mean I'm not...

Prince of Fatness

Sad news indeed.  What make it even more sad is that his death already appears to be being exploited by FB scammers.

Not at it at all.