Pulled Gluteus Minimus? (Read 60 times)

LeighDS

Live Free & Run

Hi All,

About a month or so ago I had this "pain" or tightness-sensation near my hip or my guess is my gluteus minimus. Either way, it felt so tight with some pain (7 or 8 out of 10) to the point where I couldn't run without drastically changing my stride. Thus I took a week off from running, but still did cross training and marital arts. Area felt better. Had a few short runs and the hip area felt alright, still had some tightness / pain (maybe 2 out of 10) and area would feel almost fine the next day which was something I didn't experience during the initial onset.

Did a bit of a longer run Saturday and the pain sensation returned but not to the level it was before (maybe a 5 out of 10). It's now Tuesday and I'm still feeling it. I've decided to take a full two weeks off from running, incorporate a variety of cross training and stretching, as well as see a doctor.

But can anyone take a guess as to what is wrong? I'm 90% sure its muscle-related or tendon-related as I can I know I'm not grinding bone-to-bone. I can perform other movements and tasks, but it seems to become irritated when I run, especially longer distances.

PRs

1-Mile - 6:18 on 4-4-2015

5K - 21:48 on 10-31-2015

10K - 47:57 on 10-24-2015

HM - 1:52:36 on 3-25-2017

FULL - 4:41:12 on 1-11-2015

Upcoming Races

Tanger Outlet 5K

Disney World 19.3 Challenge

Race the Runways 10K

Well for one, you're not going to have "bone to bone" ginding in your hip. The Acetabulum AND Femoral head are lined with Hyalin Cartiladge that will act like a shock absorber for your hip, along with several ligaments that will stabilize the joint. It sounds like a muscle issue that may take longer than 2 weeks to fully heal. I'm no medical professional, but I did sleep at Holiday Inn Express last night. Take it easy, be cool and DON'T HURT YOURSELF ah- ight. Good luck.

I Run To Eat :)

Hi All,

About a month or so ago I had this "pain" or tightness-sensation near my hip or my guess is my gluteus minimus. Either way, it felt so tight with some pain (7 or 8 out of 10) to the point where I couldn't run without drastically changing my stride. Thus I took a week off from running, but still did cross training and marital arts. Area felt better. Had a few short runs and the hip area felt alright, still had some tightness / pain (maybe 2 out of 10) and area would feel almost fine the next day which was something I didn't experience during the initial onset.

Did a bit of a longer run Saturday and the pain sensation returned but not to the level it was before (maybe a 5 out of 10). It's now Tuesday and I'm still feeling it. I've decided to take a full two weeks off from running, incorporate a variety of cross training and stretching, as well as see a doctor.

But can anyone take a guess as to what is wrong? I'm 90% sure its muscle-related or tendon-related as I can I know I'm not grinding bone-to-bone. I can perform other movements and tasks, but it seems to become irritated when I run, especially longer distances.

This sounds similar to something I had but I need to clarify I'm not a Dr or Health Professional and you should seek advice, even just a check by a Physio. For me it was a nerve (tendon, I think) in my left butt cheek (sorry I couldn't find a way to nicely say it Wink

So regular massaging with a roller loosened it and I was ok, but I had to reduce running for a week.

Either way, get it checked so you don't do the wrong thing, or ignore a potential more serious issue that can be solved easily now. Good luck !

LeighDS

Live Free & Run

Thank you both for your input.

This sounds similar to something I had but I need to clarify I'm not a Dr or Health Professional and you should seek advice, even just a check by a Physio. For me it was a nerve (tendon, I think) in my left butt cheek (sorry I couldn't find a way to nicely say it Wink

So regular massaging with a roller loosened it and I was ok, but I had to reduce running for a week.

Either way, get it checked so you don't do the wrong thing, or ignore a potential more serious issue that can be solved easily now. Good luck !

When it happened to you, did your hamstrings and/or quads feel tight or "slow"? If I had to guess either I strained my gluteus medius or minimus or I've irritated a nerve. The are is tender and the tightness/pain is down to about a 4 or 3 out of 10.

PRs

1-Mile - 6:18 on 4-4-2015

5K - 21:48 on 10-31-2015

10K - 47:57 on 10-24-2015

HM - 1:52:36 on 3-25-2017

FULL - 4:41:12 on 1-11-2015

Upcoming Races

Tanger Outlet 5K

Disney World 19.3 Challenge

Race the Runways 10K