disturbing dream - overtraining? (Read 682 times)

Feeling the growl again

Well, just before my recent 50-miler I had a dream that I showed up for the race to find my crew had quit and I had forgotten all of my food.  I ended up crouched on the trail long after the sun had fallen, eating my sweatshirt for fuel.

The race didn't go well, but it had nothing to do with fuel, my crew was spectacular, and my sweatshirt is unharmed.  IMHO dreams=nerves but YMMV.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It seems to me beneficial that you have over 20 weeks go to, so you can safely experiment -- skip a long run, or cut back mileage briefly -- if you like.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I have the "legs don't work" dreams frequently. I never thought much about them, except just assuming my legs were tired or something. I don't try to analyze my dreams much. I wonder how many carbs in a sweatshirt? Probably no electrolytes.

Oh roo roooo!

I wonder how many carbs in a sweatshirt? Probably no electrolytes.

Hmm, depending on how much the wearer sweated while wearing the shirt, it might have LOTS of electrolytes.....

Hmm, depending on how much the wearer sweated while wearing the shirt, it might have LOTS of electrolytes.....

True--he didn't say it was a clean sweatshirt, did he?

Feeling the growl again

True--he didn't say it was a clean sweatshirt, did he?

Since I was wearing it, likely not clean.

I got a good chuckle out of that dream.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Okay you inventors out there - here's an idea for a product that will sell like, um, hotcakes!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I've had the leading the race one you've had, though will never have that experience in real life, unless I cherrypick really well.

I almost had the late for the start one in real life. It was any interesting daymare that turned out well. If the spirit moves you, You can read about it here.

Congratulations on your race, Jimmy, and great race report!  I recommend it to the rest of y'all out there.  (The secret to a PR?  Dog poo.  Then brag to the Queen.)

Black-Toe-Nailed

I dream on running very often.

Curiosly enough: In the past I can remember that in my dreams I ran away from stuff.

Now I dream about running and racing. I quite often dream that I am running somewhere. Just that, no reason, I'm just running. Actually quite enjoyable dreams.

The weirdest one was that I was running in a place much like my hometown in Spain (Alicante). I dreamed that I was racing and at a given point and a guy who was close to me said "hey mates. we are so ahead of our target time that we could just walk to the finish" and so we did.

Weirdly enough, this same thing came to my mind a few weeks later during the Utrecht marathon 2012. I started behind the 3:30 pacemaker, passed him and at a given moment I found myself running with just a bunch of guys... during the last few miles I was really tempted to just stop and walk the rest of the distance... I would still have made a PR. My target was 3:45 and I ended with 3:21Tight lippedx

Morale of this story and important lesson learned: Use tape on your nipples!!!! Specially if you wear a white shirt!

--

"If one can stick to the training throughout the many long years,
                    then will power is no longer a problem. It's raining? That doesn't matter.
                    I am tired? That's besides the point. It's simply that I just have to."

Emil Zatopek