hydration system for marathon? (Read 115 times)

Sunflower747

Does anyone have any recommendations for a hydration running belt or other system for racing the marathon?  I have a 2L hydration vest that I used for my previous marathon but I am racing more for time/trying to qualify for Boston so don't really want to carry around a lot of extra weight.  I bought a flipbelt with a 16 oz water bottle but it kept falling out of the belt and kind of sloshed around a lot in general.  I wasn't a fan and want to try something else.  I am on the extreme side of sweating and lose much more water than the average person.  Since I just ran past the water stops and used my backpack for the last marathon I am not sure how much the water stops are going to keep me hydrated.  Which belts or other systems have other people found to work well?  I also have spectators that said they could be available on the course to switch out my water bottles too in case some of the belts don't carry enough water.  Thanks!

chuckstone

I like Ultimate Direction bottle belts with the bottle in the back.  I have used them with different sized bottles depending on how often I could refill.  They were maybe 20 & 28 oz bottles and you don't need to have them full to start to keep weight down, again depending on refill opportunities.  The bottle opening is big enough for a quick refill.

But most marathons I have been in have water about every two miles, so I generally don't carry water.  I plan to walk briskly for 10 or 20 seconds at the water stations to be able to drink a cup or two.  That little time is made up easily and the little break in stride seems helpful.  In races with lots of runners/crowding, I would start with a throwaway bottle to skip the first couple water stops until people get spread out some.

But most marathons I have been in have water about every two miles, so I generally don't carry water.  I plan to walk briskly for 10 or 20 seconds at the water stations to be able to drink a cup or two.  That little time is made up easily and the little break in stride seems helpful.  

I agree with this. This should generally be enough hydration, and it's one less thing to worry about. I would still take your own gels (or whatever fuel you use). Check the locations of water stations in advance, and plan to fuel just before them.

Dave

I would try to use the aid stations before carrying my own, because it's easier.

BUT training is another matter. I don't like slosh, either. If you use the soft bottles (Salomon, Ultimate Direction) you can suck all the air out and it's impossible for them to slosh. The same for hydration bags, but I personally don't like bags because I think they're awkward weight placement and make my back sweaty. I use a front bottle hydration vest. There several which are small, well ventilated and unobtrusive (Ultimate Direction, Nathan, Salomon, Mountain Hardware). I also have a Salomon hip pack, the Agile, and I can carry a bottle and other stuff in it and it doesn't bounce.

I have the opinion that people are drinking more than they need, because there was such an emphasis on hydrating in the last decade or so. People now have it in their heads that they can't even go for a half hour run without taking water along. Yes, I see people out running wearing full hydration packs for their 3-5 mile jog.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

berylrunner

Rick

I don't like all of the trash at marathons so I carry a handheld water bottle.  One trick I learned was to sneak in behind all of the volunteers holding out cups and fill up at the tables behind them.  Usually jugs of water.  Its pretty fast.

If I was going for a pr I would probably use cups and not carry anything.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

marathon water tables...

carrying less weight sounds better to me.

find out what flavor Gatorade etc... the race will be providing ahead of time, buy some and train with it on a long run and see if it agrees with you, if not, find gels/bring your own that you like.

good luck!

300m- 37 sec.

paul2432

I also have spectators that said they could be available on the course to switch out my water bottles too in case some of the belts don't carry enough water.  Thanks!

Receiving aid from spectators is cheating in most marathons.  Unless someone is winning the race or there is a complaint this is rarely enforced.

If it was me, I'd want to know I'd run the race honestly so I would not accept outside aid.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Are you racing in the desert?

Or planning on Hot Chicago?

Water provided on course is generally more than sufficient - it's worked for millions.

Your log makes it look like you're fast enough that you won't be out there all day or in much danger of having stations run dry.

You *might* take a bottled water with you at the start so you can skip the crowds at the first couple of water stops; then toss the bottle (in an aid station bin, please!) when you're done with it.

Liz

pace sera, sera

hog4life

I would carry a hand held with your go-to fluid of choice, and drink something at all the aid stations.

slingrunner

Having run with belts and handhelds, I can tell you I much prefer the handhelds.  I would get a few of them that you like, have your spectators on the course sub them in and out, with drinking at the water table as a backup plan.  I wouldn't want to carry a full bottle for very long as part of this plan.

For me I have no qualms about getting "support" along the race.  Elites get bottles given to them.  This is better for the environment and saves the race money in them needing fewer cups, less gatorade, fewer volunteers etc.  It makes you enjoy the race more and more willing to run it again (and give them more money).  If you have some potential to win an award, then perhaps a different story.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

Scooterscott

For me I have no qualms about getting "support" along the race.  Elites get bottles given to them.  This is better for the environment and saves the race money in them needing fewer cups, less gatorade, fewer volunteers etc.  It makes you enjoy the race more and more willing to run it again (and give them more money).  If you have some potential to win an award, then perhaps a different story.

it is not too hard to work out the hydration plan based on the info the race provides.  That is usually listed on the course maps and info.  If you are shooting for a BQ type time then it seems like you should be fine just planning it out.

It is pretty clear about no outside assistance. The elites do not have outside support and their bottles are not give to them.  They have access to the same aid stations as the masses but also may have special stations that are tables set with their bottles.  They can provide their own fluids/nutrition to these designated stations.

I don't see that a plastic bottle is more environmentally friendly than a paper cup.  The cup will breakdown in time where that bottle will probably be floating around in the ocean long after humans have disappeared off the earth. 

Still kicking

For the last two, of my 39 marathons so far, I've used duct tape, and a cheap disposable wide-mouth bicycle water bottle. It's the best plan I've come up with so far, and a plan I will continue into the future. I use the duct tape to make a handle, and turn the bicycle water bottle into a disposable handheld. I start the race with water, and don't have to worry about the traffic jams at the first few aid stations. I can drink whenever and however much I want. When it's empty, I'll either refill it from the big jugs at the aid station tables... or even quicker, just empty several cups from the table, into it. Maybe 4 seconds, and the bottle is full. Remove the top of the bottle as you approach the aid station, and put the top back on as you are leaving. The beauty of it, is that the bottles are often free at events, or often free at bike shops. I've been collecting them for years, and have tons of them. If at anytime in the race you don't want/need the bottle any longer, just toss it into an aid station trash can.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

DoppleBock

The marathons I have done usually have hydration available very two mile until mile 20 and then every mile.  I grab one or two cups at every aide station, it does not slow me down at all.  My sweat rate is significantly higher than I can replace by drinking during a race.  But 2 cups is 8-10 ounces every 2 miles.  Your body can only absorb @ 30 ounces per hour.  If you run 10 minute miles you would hit 3 aide stations per hour = 24-30 ounces ... if you are faster than that you would have to take one cup a some aide stations.

I used to practice at the local track - There was a bench next to the track I would line up paper cups of water for long runs.  I would grab a cup squeeze to funnel it and slam it.  Practice made me efficient where I usually pick up time on people around me going through the aide station.

I have also practiced a lot with beer - slamming that is.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The marathons I have done usually have hydration available very two mile until mile 20 and then every mile.  I grab one or two cups at every aide station, it does not slow me down at all.  My sweat rate is significantly higher than I can replace by drinking during a race.  But 2 cups is 8-10 ounces every 2 miles.  Your body can only absorb @ 30 ounces per hour.  If you run 10 minute miles you would hit 3 aide stations per hour = 24-30 ounces ... if you are faster than that you would have to take one cup a some aide stations.

I used to practice at the local track - There was a bench next to the track I would line up paper cups of water for long runs.  I would grab a cup squeeze to funnel it and slam it.  Practice made me efficient where I usually pick up time on people around me going through the aide station.

I have also practiced a lot with beer - slamming that is.

I have never mastered the funnel & slam. I should do like you did, and set some up on a bench and practice. Thanks for the idea.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

And I should practice with ones with water too Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.