Alberto Salazar & Jama Aden training System (Read 186 times)

john lopez

Hello,

I'm new here and want to ask if anybody buy a product from the site www.runneruniverse.com

I'm interested in middle and long distance running and was searching on Alberto Salazar or Jama Aden training System and philosophy and Google direct me to those links :

http://www.runneruniverse.com/?product=alberto-salazar-training-philosophy

http://www.runneruniverse.com/?product=jama-aden-training-system

My question is it safe to buy a product from this site.

Thanks,

John

I hear Salazar has a bit of a temper, so be careful.

EastRiverRunner

awaldvogel He's not training with Salazar. He's buying his book.

Member Since 2008

I would say it probably depends on what your training for.  Though it is not a lot of money,  you can' find a more reputable trainer.

Just a dude.

I checked the website quick. It looks moderately interesting, but I wonder if what is in there will translate to the hobby jogger. Looking at Rupps training probably wouldn't help me at all. He does sub 6's easy, while my easy are 8s. So if he runs 6x1200 say, I might need to translate that to 6x800, or 4x1200, or realize that I just can't do whatever the goal of the workout is yet because I'm just not good enough.

Somtimes you can just do minutes. But you have to know the purpose of the workout. Is Mr. Elite doing 800s because they need to push their body for something like 2 minutes, or is there something about the distance compared to their target race. If I know that, then I can say maybe 600s make sense, or I can say 800s in 3 minutes instead of 2 minutes is ok.

Understanding the principles is to me the most important. If Alberto does a good job of sharing that in the book, it might be worth buying. If he kinda glosses over it and spends more time showing off his elite runners, then to me it wouldn't be so good.

If you are fairly elite, then I would expect it to be more helpful.

I'd personally like a book that showed a few typical weeks of Rupp in high school, then similar weeks in college, and then similar weeks in early pro ranks, and then simlar weeks before breaking the US record. Then maybe I can see how Rupp got to a place where he could get to the place where he could run workouts that allow him to break records. But frankly, high school Rupp would still kick my butt, and his training might not be as helpful as I'd like. Before that he was playing soccer, so there probably isn't anything worth seeing there...

My 2 cents worth anyway...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Tim G

Not worth it in my opinion.

The Salazar piece seems to be an interesting read to understand how professionals run and train. It looks like you won't get much out of it for your own running unless you're at sub-elite level. It's 10$ for a 36 page PDF file ...

The one by Aden could be interesting but it's probably completely useless for an amateur runner. He might explain various workout types and what they are good for but you get that information for free at other sources.

Look for Hal Higdon's plans or something. He explains workouts and provides training plans for free.

awaldvogel He's not training with Salazar. He's buying his book.