Has anyone successfully run through PF (Read 212 times)

Not only is the cure to PF different for everybody, it is sometimes difficult to know what really cures it because you try several things simultaneously....

With that reserve, I would say the following:

- the outbreak for me was very sudden, and so painful I could hardly walk, so running was not a question. But once I started running again, whilst still suffering alittle, I found that generally increasing mileage was better for me that decreasing it

- I tried absolutely everything at various stages, but the Strassburg sock was a big help. As was icing. I no longer ice, but I still put on the SS, I just alternate legs each night

- I have orthotics, and in addition, stability shoes (Adrenaline) I have changed to neutral (Glycerin) and that helped (I think, but certainly didn't kane it worse!)

- Also changed my running form: less heel strike, more of a mid-foot

- Gym and corework: get on the abductor and adductor machines in particular, and work core and glutes.

- good stretching routine after each run

Many recommend aerobic machines (x-country ski) and fixed bikes at the gym: for me, that has always increased the pain

I would also recommend staying off NSAID, unless pain is constant as it was for me initially. But I got off them as soon as possible, and have avoided since.

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

Next races: NYC Marathon, Nov 2014 

12-week layoff

I ran through PF while trying to lose 30 pregnancy pounds.  Good time, that.

What helped:  Ice.  I finally discovered that when I stepped in a hole while playing soccer with my dog.  The kid was 2, which tells ya how long I had it.  I sprained my ankle, and during recovery iced it with a gel-pack I could keep in the freezer, then velcro around my ankle.  By the time the ankle had recovered, the PF was gone.  Additionally, I would stretch my calves and ankles, and massage my foot and ankle right at the hurty spot.

What didn't help: Cutting back, a boot, changing shoes.

Dream Maker

My foot doc told me not to bother to rest (other than right after shot), that it doesn't help actually get rid of it for good.  He told me to increase stability in my shoes until it's gone at least.

True enough, when I had to take 2 weeks off because I was sick it seemed to get worse, not better.

Unfortunately, the cortisone shot didn't do anything either.

I have icing, stretching, and strengthening. I have a couple things going on that the physical therapist thinks is all related to my core area really.  Not gone yet, though. But not getting any worse, either.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Not only is the cure to PF different for everybody,

That's what I've observed as well - such strikingly different experiences from various people - and that still seems bizarre to me.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I had PF so bad last year and it really SUCKED...........

I finally got past it by 'STRAPPING' or wrapping my feet (for extra support) for about 2 months or so.    I went to lighter more minimal shoes but made sure I had support on the arch......icing.     My foot Dr also advised me to take what ended up to being 6 weeks off......

The combination of all the above and I finally got past it and am running pain free now but don't wish PF on anyone.......I think what really made the difference is I bought some Dr Scholls PF protection inserts for my shoes and wore them in flats and also my street shoes and although the other stuff helped I think it was the inserts that 'really' made the difference.  I still wear them in my street shoes, to work and other....and if I wear minimal types of shoes too.........

Champions are made when no one is watching

Feeling the growl again

I tried most of the typical fixes, except The Boot aka Sock.  That would have been the next step.

Increasing cushioning and support in my all-day shoes helped with the acute pain, but did not clear the problem up.  Once I was not in constant shooting pain, I went the opposite direction and went to minimalist shoes as all-day shoes.  This had an immediate impact and within weeks the problem was more or less gone.  This after ~6-7 months of significant pain and impact on my running (at one point I could not put weight on my left foot for the first hour I was awake).

For another year I could feel it coming back if I did not stick to the minimal shoe at work routine.  But for the year since then, it's been completely gone in all circumstances.  But I still wear the minimal shoes to work, just in case.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

RunnerGalBeth

Still suffering at this point but I have beat it in the past.  The initial treatment was a cortisone shot, icinf and rolling and orthotics.  I am not sure the orthotics really helped.  I am waiting on an appointment with the podiatrist now for PF and ankle paiin.  I think the ankle pain is scar tissue from all the sprains I have had.  Yesterday I saw a link on here to the "Sock Doc."  He advocates no stretching, no use of the Strassburg Sock, no orthotics.  Instead, he says the pain comes from injury elsewhere...usually in the calf or shin and advocates trigger point therapy there.  I am trying it now in hopes that treatment will be helpful.

Did ice after runs and the golf ball.  Also, I have a desk job, so I would freeze a water bottle, then roll it on the bottom of my foot in the middle of the day.  Also, I did exercises where I would stand on the steps on my toes and do calf raises.

I was "lucky" enough to figure out what caused it immediately, which was a new pair of street shoes of all things, but switching back didn't help, the damage was done.

Do NOT walk around barefoot...always have something with an arch.  I got some sandals for around the house with arch support.

Eventually it just went away, but it took months, and it was not a wonderful experience.   It hit right around week 4 of marathon training, of course.  But it was gone by the time the race came along.

I second running in the PM, because it's usually worse in the morning because of the position your foot is in when you sleep.  Once you stretch out the fascia, the pain is less.   Never tried the boot or the Stressburg Sock, not sure if I could sleep in them, but people I know who have used them said they were effective.

Run long enough, and you will know LOTS of friends who have had the same problem.

Jeff

I look my best blurry!

I apologize in advance fir this rambling but that is exactly what I heard from runners, PTs, athletic trainers and doctors. My story- First of all I overtrained.  I ran too much, raced too much and all of a sudden it hit me.  I ignored symptoms initially but when it became undeniable I treated it with ice, stretching, orthotics, frozen golf balls, Stroussburg sock, night splints, minimalist/ barefoot shoes, iontophoresis, e-stim, taping, myofascial release, you name it!  Never did cortisone because multiple docs told me a competitive runner would risk a tear and that would be a worse situation.  I finally took time off and then went back to running on the Alter G.  i started increasing miles and it disappeared.  8 months of suffering.  Nothing seemed to make a real difference then POOF it was gone.  I have no real solution.  Whatever reduces your pain is worth a try.  I honestly don't think forced suffering helps.  I did it and it inflamed my heels terribly.  I've been 15 months without it and have had no signs since the day it disappeared.  Best wishes!

dennrunner

...  Nothing seemed to make a real difference then POOF it was gone.  ...

Unfortunately, this is all too typical.

At least it eventually (and suddenly) disappears. Usually.

Oh roo roooo!

This may or may not be helpful  http://sock-doc.com/tag/plantar-fasciitis/ for you.  I was looking for a specific blog post I read several months ago, the gist of which was that, just b/c the pain is in the foot, doesn't necessarily mean the problem is in (or entirely in) the foot.  The PF sufferer had finally gotten relief when he started a yoga class and noticed that incidentally the PF began to clear up.  Maybe it was just a coincidence, but I've certainly had problems that generated pain in one area while the eventual fix turned out to be somewhere else, so this might be worth a look for you.

Best wishes!

Beth

NHLA

Very interesting thread.  I had PF for a year and ran thru it..  PT said the cause was tight calf.  ART helped but it would come back.  I changed to NB minimus  shoes and poof it was gone!  Glad to see this helped others.

Happy to be running

I appreciate all the responses, thanks! As I read them I see so much that I have been going through and it does make me feel better to read about others going through this very painful crap. I'll try the things you guys have mentioned that I haven't tried yet and hope for a quick recovery.

Edit: Not that I am wishing pain on anyone! I re re-read what I posted and it sounds like I am happy others are suffering with PF! Not what I intended.

New runner base building for my first marathon 

I have run 2 half marathons 1:52:42 & 1:58:00

I appreciate all the responses, thanks! As I read them I see so much that I have been going through and it does make me feel better to read about others going through this very painful crap. I'll try the things you guys have mentioned that I haven't tried yet and hope for a quick recovery.

In that case, I'll add myself to the list and add one more vote for the Strassburg sock, which has helped keep it under control.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus