I'd like to see which forums really contain new posts... (Read 601 times)

Browser: Firefox, OS: Linux (sometimes Windows, like now) I'd like to see which forum still contains posts I haven't read. When I come to the forums, I see in the 'last post' column which forum has new messages, because of that yellow (orange?) arrow. But as long as I don't close my browser, those arrows remain there, even if those messages are long read. So I often open the same thread again, only to discover that I already read that message. OK, I could look at the time the last post was written, but since I'm here at Western European time, that is a bit complicated.... (Edit: And almost an hour later, I realize the time that is shown, IS Western European time...., so that makes things easier....) Ann

Running in Belgium
    Ann

JakeKnight

To work around this, I just log out and then log back in a couple times after I've finished logging my runs. And that works fine. But it would be nice not to have to.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

eric :)

Hrm... this is possible. Of course, anything is possible if you throw enough code at it. In order to do what you want, the site will have to track every single thread you read. I'm sure some people will balk at this because of privacy concerns. I'll have to look into how much of a performance impact this will have on the site. Usage tracking is not cheap. As for the time issue, be sure to set your time zone in the Options pages.
        Wingz

Professional Noob

Eric - it seems that the "user groups" page does a pretty good job at keeping up with what you've read or not. Are you doing user tracking for those?

Roads were made for journeys...

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Hrm... this is possible. Of course, anything is possible if you throw enough code at it. In order to do what you want, the site will have to track every single thread you read. I'm sure some people will balk at this because of privacy concerns. I'll have to look into how much of a performance impact this will have on the site. Usage tracking is not cheap. As for the time issue, be sure to set your time zone in the Options pages.
            I lurk on lots and lots and lots of forums. Yes. I am a geek. Most every other forum I go to always knows when I have seen a thread and updates the display accordingly.