I pretty much prove this wrong.... (Read 1710 times)

Feeling the growl again

I only read the first page of the article, but that sounds pretty depressing.

TL;DR, but seeing a diet of only 500-550cal/day was all I needed to read.  You put people on a starvation diet, a starvation response is what you should expect.  You can hardly extrapolate that to a more reasonable regimen.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xhristopher

TL;DR, but seeing a diet of only 500-550cal/day was all I needed to read.  You put people on a starvation diet, a starvation response is what you should expect.  You can hardly extrapolate that to a more reasonable regimen.

Exactly my thoughts. 500-550 cal/day seems as dysfunctional as whatever these folks were doing before the diet.  It's about changing lifestyle, choices, and habits, not quick fixes. Our society wants too many quick fixes. For example, it's easier to just take a purple pill than loose the extra luggage that is causing the heartburn in the first place...

I didn't get past the first page as well.

Ha!  I literally measure and weight almost everything I eat for days at a time when I'm feeling especially obsessive.    I invite you to my home.  I am a scientist and fully aware that most people undercount their calories consumed and overcount their calories expended.  

If you're a scientist you'll understand that the ability of the human body to extract energy from food and the energy requirements of exercise and our day to day lives are well studied.

It's just not possibly to maintain your weight running 50 miles a week and only consuming an average of only 1500 calories a day. 

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof - by far the most likely explanation is that you're not correctly counting your calories.

Best Present Ever

One of the more interesting points was discussion of the studies that showed wide variation in metabolism in individuals - not people put on extreme starvation diets, not people who were even overweight, just men (twins actually). When put on highly controlled settings and deliberately overfed, some gained very little, some gained quite a bit.

Sure - there's variation. But let us be clear here. A woman needs around 1800 calories a day just to live an fairly sedentary life doing a desk job. If you're active through the day you need more than that. To run 7 miles a day you need around another 700 calories. So to maintain weight you need at least 2500 calories - more if you do any kind of physical activity other than your running. 

We can quibble about individual variation and the exact energy requirements of running and so forth - but that won't even come close to accounting for the huge difference between the two figures.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

One of the more interesting points was discussion of the studies that showed wide variation in metabolism in individuals - not people put on extreme starvation diets, not people who were even overweight, just men (twins actually). When put on highly controlled settings and deliberately overfed, some gained very little, some gained quite a bit.

I just read about the (article page 5) woman who says she keeps stable by limiting to 1800 cal per day, with abt 500 cal of exercise, and she weighs 195lbs. That is pretty different than usual estimates, I think.

Then on page 6 they say the Columbia study seems to show 250-400cal lower requirements for ppl who lost weight, and they haven't figured out how long that lasts, or if it ever wears off.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

A Saucy Wench

Sure - there's variation. But let us be clear here. A woman needs around 1800 calories a day just to live an fairly sedentary life doing a desk job. If you're active through the day you need more than that. To run 7 miles a day you need around another 700 calories. So to maintain weight you need at least 2500 calories - more if you do any kind of physical activity other than your running. 

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Uh.  No. 

Not even close. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Uh.  No. 

Not even close. 

Yes, what she said.

steph  

Coming from a moderately overweight family, exercise early in life seems to be a significant factor. My mother and sister and quite a few others in the extended family are overweight.  While I could lose a few pounds from my middle section for ideal running weight, I think I am mostly OK without having to think too much either about exercising or watch what I eat.

I never watched much TV until I was about 21 years old (coming to the US) and preferred playing sports while the rest of the family watched TV for a couple of hours a day or played board games. Today my sister is overweight and has related health issues and exercising/dieting don't seem to help, she loses weight for a while only to rebound.  Same pattern holds for the cousins I used to play with, the ones who were out playing/exercising are fairly fit today, while the ones from the same family who were more sedentary struggle with weight issues.  

Of course who is to say that those predisposed to be sedentary early in life are not genetically wired that way.

#artbydmcbride

We can quibble about individual variation and the exact energy requirements of running and so forth - but that won't even come close to accounting for the huge difference between the two figures.

Uh,.......you are wrong (and you even touch on why)  Roll eyes

Runners run

heather85

The really cool trick was when I was averaging 12 miles a day and gained 30 lb in 3 months. I was clearly eating 4250 Calories a day.  All without realizing it and with no junk foods.

Because individual difference is only what you imagine it to be and there are no factors on individual people. Women burn at least 1800 at rest and everyone burns 100 Calories per mile.

I think I remember reading that while for most people have very similar metabolisms per amount of lean body mass, that someone with a low metabolism to a high metabolism can be as much as 900 calories difference then their equivalent, with most clustered in together, and that most heavier people actually have a faster metabolism due to more muscle mass... so, we know it's not necessarily as common to have a "slow" metabolism, we don't know that it makes no impact because it certainly can, especially day compounded by day, even without exceptional medical things going on. 

I can run 70-100 miles each week and not eat what I want.  I don't think there is a point where I could eat whatever I wanted. I also remember reading something that fast metabolisms accelerate aging, though, and a little more fat slows down wrinkling anyways,  so at least I will look young forever.  haha!

In the end, it doesn't matter, though. People can believe what they wish.  I believe mamaofthree in any case.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I take comfort in knowing that come the apocalypse, I'll be the last to die of starvation.  Smile

My hubby likes to joke that I have the most adaptive metabolism he's ever seen.  I think he's a fucker.  We can both follow the same diet and carry a calorie deficit that should yield us both a pound of loss/week.  He will lose...I will maintain like it's my job.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

beat

Break on through

I believe there's a weekly mileage that would let me eat whatever I want.  I haven't found it yet.  I know it's not 50.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

As a 215 lb male I think that when I got up to 50 miles per week, I could pretty much eat anything I want (and about 20 beers per week). I would imagine that everyone has a similar mileage number? For me my basic level is about 2500 per day but I also get about 170 calories per mile. 50 x 170 = 8500 bonus calories per week

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

Chris UK

61 year old male - 5' 7" - 135 lb. 

I don't necessarily believe age is an issue for holding onto weight in an active person. I am at my lowest weight and best physical condition since my late-20's - early 30's. I eat whatever I want (love cake!) but the magic number for me is 80 mile weeks - in weight loss and running capability. When I was injured earlier this year over the period of 10 weeks I gained 12 lbs but as soon as I started to get the miles in again the weight came off. This is no surprise to me but I see people reporting here (and elsewhere) that they do not lose weight however much they run. Hmmm?? Maybe we are all an experiment of one.

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM