WSJ Story on Des Linden (Read 191 times)

I am a big fan.

i hope she makes the team

Julia1971

I mean, Sara Hall almost pulled off something similar by running New York City after PRing at Berlin.  (She dropped out at Mile 18.)  Those races are 5 weeks apart.  This is what?  7 weeks...  Run her last trials in Atlanta, cash that appearance fee check, and enjoy all the bourbon whiskey she wants.

mikeymike

Bourbon is whiskey, Larry.

Runners run

cinnamon girl

Bourbon is whiskey, Larry.

Bourbon. Whiskey. It's all good. Go Desi!

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

You can’t beat a good Irish coffee. 👍

36 isn’t that old for a marathoner and 51 days is plenty of time.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

You can’t beat a good Irish coffee. 👍

36 isn’t that old for a marathoner and 51 days is plenty of time.

Take a look at the top 100 women marathoners.  All but a handful, maybe a half dozen, are in their 20s. We're not talking hobbyjoggers where the average age is close to 40.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Take a look at the top 100 women marathoners.  All but a handful, maybe a half dozen, are in their 20s. We're not talking hobbyjoggers where the average age is close to 40.

At 36 you’ll still have a shot at the marathon (compared to middle distances)  Kipchoge is 35, Farah is 36. Seven weeks between marathons isn’t ideal whatever age you are, but she’s obviously going to pick up a lot of dough running Boston. If the race isn’t going to plan then she can DNF. Good luck to her. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

At 36 you’ll still have a shot at the marathon (compared to middle distances)  Kipchoge is 35, Farah is 36. Seven weeks between marathons isn’t ideal whatever age you are, but she’s obviosly going to pick up a lot of dough in appearance money at Boston. If the race isn’t going to plan then she can DNF. Good luck to her. 👍

Of course there are outliers. Mary Keitany is still a podium threat in any marathon she runs, but that's the exception.  The peak age seems to be late 20s.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Look at Yuki Kawauchi

I am a huge Yuki fan ever since his daring third place finish in Tokyo years ago but his ill advised over racing had kept him out of the 2016 Olympics in my opinion.

She certainly has a lot of motivation to run Boston given the attendance pay she must be pulling just to toe the line.  I can't blame her but it's a bad move if the Olympics are her goal.  I don't think it is.