Garmin FIT file Personal Record question (Read 55 times)

Kirk Hapke

So I'm wondering how Garmin computes a Personal Record in a given run. For example, if I run 5 miles, is a record only established for a time in whole number miles? ie.. mile 2.0 through mile 3.0. Or can it detect any mile record in the run? ie.. mile 3.72 through mile 4.72. I also would like to know if there is a way to view these computations from each activity. For example, if I don't actually set a new PR in a given activity and thus no information will be displayed on Garmin Connect , is there a way to view the information to see how close I came? Are these values for all qualifying distances; 1K, 1 mile, 5K, 10K etc, listed somewhere in each FIT file? I've tried several FIT viewers from a Google search, but none of them seemed to give the information from above.

Thanks for your help,
    Kirk

an amazing likeness

This doesn't make sense to me. Are you asking, basically, '...how does Garmin Connect decompose a .FIT file from a workout...'?

I've not seen Garmin Connect use time/distance from within a workout -- aka a segment -- as a PR, the PRs are workouts at standard race distances. There are segments, like Connect is trying to mimic Strava...but I don't see how those are related to PRs.

I'm no help, probably just missing your question's actual meaning.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Kirk Hapke

Thanks for the input.  The first 5K I entered 4 months ago returned 3 PRs. 1km, 1 mile, and 5K.  It somehow computed the lesser 1km and 1 mile off that race. Since then, I've bettered my 1 mile PB in another 5k race.  So it must not have to be the actual distance to set a new PR.  All this goes to discuss your response, not further my original question.  Follow up with me please, if you're still not understanding.

Kirk

an amazing likeness

That's not how Garmin Connect works for me, there are no PRs from "internal" segments of a longer event for me. Can't help...sorry.

mta: https://connect.garmin.com/features/personalRecords  makes no mention of segments...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Kirk Hapke

It probably matters which hardware you use. Forerunner 920XT here.  Features are dependant on your watch, not the Garmin Connect Platform Smile

kcam

Good question, Kirk.  For those of us that have been running long enough we probably won't be getting any mile PR's on a 5K or 10K or random training run.

However when I started using my brand new 230 watch, I would get mile PR's (and 5K and 10K) out of the watch on random runs.  So THE WATCH for sure computes certain PR's.  Don't know whether Connect does.  If I open my watch and select 'Records' it keeps track of 1Mile, 5K, 10K, 1/2Mar and Marathon records as well as Longest Run.   I'd love to see or know how the algorithm that computes the records works - it must compute the fastest contiguous mile/5K/10K/1/2M/M in a run but how?!