Homeschooling? (Read 1986 times)

Warning:  Friendly mocking ahead (emphasis in above post is mine).

This made my day in a post about how well the poster did teaching his children.

No offense intended.  I can see that you did a good job with your kids, it just made me smile.

Yer killing me...egad..the same with the other mis-spelled word...I have two excuses:

1. I was public schooled instead of homeschooled....Joking
    2. I was goofing off at work and was in a hurry...

Fortunately for my kids, I didn't do the bulk of the educating, but my wife the English major did (with science minor).  You have no idea what it is like to live with the grammar police...who studied latin because it was fun....

Do you think this additional maturity and responsibility is a result of homeschooling?  If so, what is it about homeschooling that yields a more mature and responsible child?  (I find this subject interesting.  After all, go back in time and any schooling you got before University was probably homeschooling.)  Growing up, I only knew a few kids who were homeschooled and they didn't seem any more or less mature or responsible than any of the kids attending public or private school.  But, I'll freely admit that the very few I knew was certainly not a representative sample.

To the OP, you mentioned that your husband was concerned about your schedule.  Are you concerned?  As a former teacher, I'd think you would know better than most the level of effort required to effectively teach something.  In any event, if you prioritize, you'll probably find enough hours in the day.  Best of luck!

Yes I do...we were able to provide wider access to interesting people.  We did actual lobbying with state legislators on homeschool issues, performed real science based data collections for a national waterways project, there were mission trips to ecuador, france and poland, again , with a broader spectrum of people and ages.  Real work builds maturity.  I just hosted 11 senior high boys in my home for a weekend - there is a marked difference in behavior between the homeschooled kids and the public schooled kids.  As with any large groups of people, there are some top of the pile folks and bottom of the pile folks...

I'm interested in why you brought up the word "dirty".  I certainly didn't get that out of the post I think you are responding to (ennay's?) but I could be wrong.

overly sensitive to stereo-typing quite honestly.  When I lived in New England, there was a Wiccan homeschooling group, in Illiniois, it was Catholics.  I am sure there are Jewish, Muslim, Hindu groups out there also.  Most christian groups we have be involved in were not fundamental at all...just 'normal'.  (sometimes I think the really fundamental groups go to far....).

In the mainstream media, it seems like Christians are given the short end of the stick over their narrow views and closed mindedness...

Why is it sideways?

Hey cagery, how did you approach teaching your kids the foundational theory in macrobiology? Just curious.

On that, here's a good book. The author is Christian and a geneticist who believes in ("micro" and "macro") evolution . 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Is it better to teach the kids calculus based on a theoretical approach or a practical approach?  If both, how do you balance them?

Feeling the growl again

On that, here's a good book. The author is Christian and a geneticist who believes in ("micro" and "macro") evolution . 

We're not talking just a plain Jane geneticist here, the dude discovered DNA.

Or stole the discovery from an under-recognized woman, depending which version you ascribe to.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

A typical high school day would require interacting with maybe 20 or 30 14-17 year olds and probably 8 or so different adults. Not to mention negotiating the different classroom environments, which each have different rules, different conceptions of order, different purposes, etc.

There's certain validity in both this and AP's post below.

IMHO part of the reason for this could be selection bias.  Almost by definition, homeschooled kids must have parents who are more engaged with them and spend time with them.  In addition to more direct adult interaction time, this could have a host of other maturity-promoting affects...more frequent discipline and correction, coaching, feedback, and overall involvement in their lives.

Public school will not have such selection bias, you have both kids who enjoy this type of parenting but also a lot of the disengaged, too-busy-with-other things or non-disciplining parents.

So it may have nothing at all to do specifically with homeschooling and more to do with the parenting.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

We're not talking just a plain Jane geneticist here, the dude discovered DNA.

Or stole the discovery from an under-recognized woman, depending which version you ascribe to.

Spaniel, I think you glanced at the cover really quickly. It's Francis Collins, not Francis Crick.

But Collins and his team did map the human genome.

Feeling the growl again

Spaniel, I think you glanced at the cover really quickly. It's Francis Collins, not Francis Crick.

But Collins and his team did map the human genome.

Heh.  Egg on my face, you're right.  Off to get some coffee and wake up.

The sad part is I read the book years ago....and worked in the same building Collins used to....I should know better.

Either way, Francis knows DNA.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Francis knows DNA.

What is really cool is that anybody who is an experti in one thing gets to be an expert in everything.

Trent do you believe in a young earth? Just curious.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I do not know what that means.

Like, do you believe the earth is thousands of years old or billions of years old?

#artbydmcbride

What is really cool is that anybody who is an experti in one thing gets to be an expert in everything.

Well, to give you your due, medicine and sports nutrition are very related.

Runners run