Sore quads (Read 56 times)

Ok, I need some help with this one.  I've run several marathons and many halfs and I typically have this problem after marathons.  After.20-22 miles, my quads start hurting...  Feels like deep pain.  Now I typically do 3 20-milers and one 22 miler in my training (max 46 miles/week)!and my quads never bother me.  But they always seems to bother me in races.  Could I be going out too fast, do I need to strengthen my quads?  My log is open, so please take a look and give me any thoughts.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Log only shows one hill workout in the last year (10month ago). . . coincidence?

Not sure about the courses you run.  But the obvious thing to tell you is to get yer feet on some darn hills.

That being said, I did a lot of hill work in my last training period and my quad were still roughed up after the race -- and it was pretty flat.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Yeah, the area I run is not very hilly, but the race I ran last weekend was very flat, and my quads were still spent

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Well, you're definitely going out too fast: 7:15 on the second mile with a 7:45 avg for the race -- though I hear the wind was brutal, so the southbound first few miles might have had a bit of assistance -- not 30secs, though.

Still, quads are used whether the race is flat or hilly.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Thanks...  I thought I might be going out a bit fast...  but my overall pace was slow because I had to walk a bunch the last few miles due to cramping quads