Hanging running clothes to dry (Read 769 times)

Sharz96

I wash running gear strictly separate, wash on cold, put everything in the dryer, low heat. NO dry sheet.  Except I hang dry my running jacket, when I wash it about once month each winter.  I don't want to mess with the water-resistent finish.

Well, no wonder you don't have any stuff older than 10 years old!  Start hang drying dude.

Hey look, I found a picture with Ken in it!  Smile

AnnQ

I wash running gear strictly separate, wash on cold, put everything in the dryer, low heat. NO dry sheet.  Except I hang dry my running jacket, when I wash it about once month each winter.  I don't want to mess with the water-resistent finish.

Actually if that's a gore-tex jacket it's supposed to go in the dryer.  Here's the link: http://www.gore-tex.com/remote/Satellite/content/care-center/washing-instructions  where it says,

"Tumble-dry warm. The heat from the dryer will help to reactivate the durable water repellent (DWR) treatment on your garment's outer fabric."

Just this morning I ran in a tech shirt from a race in 1998. I have a set of shirts from races in the late 90's and early 2000's. I've got enough to last about a week and then they get run through the wash with the regular family laundry. Warm wash, warm dryer. However long the whole load takes to dry. Some of these must have 200 washes already, and they're holding up fine. It's kind of annoying that nothing ever wears out which would justify getting some NEW ones!

Wow, must have been a slow day on RA.

This post won the thread. We can all stop talking about our laundry habits now.

Runners run

B-Plus

Actually if that's a gore-tex jacket it's supposed to go in the dryer.  Here's the link: http://www.gore-tex.com/remote/Satellite/content/care-center/washing-instructions  where it says,

"Tumble-dry warm. The heat from the dryer will help to reactivate the durable water repellent (DWR) treatment on your garment's outer fabric."

Just this morning I ran in a tech shirt from a race in 1998. I have a set of shirts from races in the late 90's and early 2000's. I've got enough to last about a week and then they get run through the wash with the regular family laundry. Warm wash, warm dryer. However long the whole load takes to dry. Some of these must have 200 washes already, and they're holding up fine. It's kind of annoying that nothing ever wears out which would justify getting some NEW ones!

WTF! I take back all the eye-rolling I did at my co-worker when he told me this then.

sluggo

John

But what about dripping?  Don't the wet clothes drip onto the floor?

Yeah - in the summer, when I finish running and hang my sweaty clothes up to drip dry, I get puddles on the floor.

My wife HATES sweat puddles so I have to put them in the basement.

John
              www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

TxDiverMom

Buy a fold-up drying rack. They're cheap. We hang all our running and bike clothes to dry, and I do believe it helps them last longer. I keep the racks in the bedroom in the winter, because it helps humidify the air--our heating system makes the house really dry. But you can set up your rack or racks anywhere you have space, and fold them up and stick them in a corner or a closet when you don't need them.

+1.  And not just running clothes.  I hang up pretty much everything that's not towels, sheets, blue jeans, or t shirts that I don't care about too much.  The dryer prematurely ages most clothes.  Unless it's tough or old, it doesn't get dried at my house.  I also hang them to dry after wearing instead of just putting in the hamper.  I have a drying rack, but I have hung stuff in the past on doors, on a hanger on a doorknob, over the side of the tub and then flip a few hours later, off cabinet doors.  Get creative here.

dennrunner

I hang my running wet running clothes on the shower curtain rod. No, not THAT shower curtain rod.

One of our bathrooms has a standard bathtub with a shower curtain and rod, but we never use it for showers except when we have guests. We have an additional shower curtain rod above the shower head centered above the bathtub. My wife uses it to hang regular clothes that she doesn't put in the dryer. I use it for my running clothes, both summer and winter.

After a run, I hand rinse certain pieces of running attire and hang on the centered rod to dry. The hand-rinse immediately after running goes a long way toward eliminating any odors. And because the garments are centered above the bathtub, there's no problem caused by dripping.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I always hang-dry.  I've always felt it keeps them from wearing out prematurely, though Mr. (or Mrs.?) Ten-year-old-running-gear upstream certainly pokes holes in that.

My wife also hang-dries most garments that she doesn't want to shrink or that are particularly "fancy."  So it's not like if I stopped, it would save us much time.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I put everything in the dryer on medium heat and haven't had any issues.  Nothing seems to be breaking down or wearing out prematurely, and if something does wear out, I don't have any particular emotional attachment to certain articles of clothing.  I think most things are fine in the dryer.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54