It's pretty sad (Read 336 times)

Member Since 2008

I remember when my long runs use to be around 18 miles.  Today my long run was 3.75 miles, it really sucks starting over!

Hoban-Jay

You're well ahead of 95% of the people in this country!

Contratulations!!!

Seriously...it's pretty amazing...

If you're still not convinced, then imagine where you will be next month, six months from now, and a year down the road.  On those days, you will be saying, I remember when I could only run 3.75 miles.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I remember when my long runs use to be around 18 miles.  Today my long run was 3.75 miles, it really sucks starting over!

Yep.  Been there.  Keep plug'n.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

I empathize with you!  I think I'd be hard pressed to run a 10K today the same I ran a full marathon before my hamstring started to revolt. Rest assured though, that each week it gets a little better and the fitness does slowly come back.

Just a dude.

Yep... I'm on my third start over. Those first few months are the worst. but I think 3.75 miles is halfway to 10 or 12. It gets easier...

Hang in there. I try to look at the progress I am making, not where I used to be or where I think I should be... Maybe doing that will help you...?

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

kcam

Yep... I'm on my third start over. Those first few months are the worst. but I think 3.75 miles is halfway to 10 or 12. It gets easier...

Hang in there. I try to look at the progress I am making, not where I used to be or where I think I should be... Maybe doing that will help you...?

-Kelly

This is key for us older runners.  You can't give in to the temptation to try to take shortcuts to get 'back'.   Steady, unspectacular progress ...

Go Pre!

NHLA

Its not sad, its a new start.  You have to forget what you used to do like an old girlfriend and start over.

BeeRunB

One stride at a time is all you can ever do. All accumulations of past strides stored in your memory are just ghosts distorting how great it is to be you now. I know several runners who wish they were you right now! Keep going. Have fun.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'm starting over, too.  It sucks, but my husband said he can already see a positive difference in my mood and energy level, so I'm trying to concentrate on that!

Walk-Jogger

You're 50; I waited till I was 52 to start over. It's out there waiting for you. You just have to be consistent and put in the time and miles. Like others have said, it's not sad, it's a new beginning for you!

Retired &  Loving It

3.75 almost seems out of reach right now. I'm starting over after knee problems and having trouble doing 1.5 miles. I ran every day this week but one so I'm trying. My running buddy, my dog, is pretty psyched so that will help keep me going. One run at a time....

Walk-Jogger

When I re-started running I could not run every day, so I ran every other day and even every third day at the very beginning. Soon I was able to run 2 out of 3 days, then 3 days in a row, then 4, and eventually I could run 7 days a week and twice a day on 2 or 3 days also. It just takes time and being consistent with the training.

Retired &  Loving It