Treadmill problems... (Read 1524 times)

mvpgirl

Conference Champion

I just got a treadmill for christmas! I ran on it for the first time and it seems like it takes so much more effort than regular running. For instance my pace was like 11min/mile when it felt like 7 or 8min/mile. Im not out of shape or anything, I usually run about 7/8 min per mile, and my pr is 6:08. It is an older model, do you think it needs some recalibrating? Maybe I just need time to get used to treadmill running. Another thing is that after I had been running for about thirty minutes, I got off and felt really strange. Dizzy. Is that because im used to scenery moving past me when I usually run? Will this go away as I continue to use the treadmill?
    2008 Track Goals
    3200m (12:59)
    1600m Record (5:32)
    800m (2:29)
      I have not noticed that big of a time gap but they do feel faster. For instance, when I run 8:00 miles it feels like 6:30. The calibration on yours could be off also. I feel the same after running as you described, but it will fade somewhat if used regularly as it did for me. Why? I dunno. Maybe that's why they are referred to as "the dreadmill".

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

obiebyke

I get a little dizzy after treading, too. I find that I have to cool WAY down (like, do a minute or two at 2mph) before stepping off, and that helps. I think it's a little like stepping onto shore after a long boat ride-- the ground's been moving beneath your feet, and solid ground feels wacky. Good luck! I'm jealous that you have one at home!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

TheProFromDover

TheProFromDover

I've noticed a difference, but not "that" much. You could (if you're geeky) paint a white spot on the belt and calibrate it. You'd have to measure the length of the belt (all the way around). Then time 20 spots going by and do some arithmetic. I would do this. I you want to aren't sure how, a few back and forth postings will get er done. You need the tape measure and ruler though. Oh re the dizzy. If you look at a wall or tv, it will not happen. It's because you are staring at those numbers! Craig

-Craig - "TPFD53 at gmail dot com"

va

I am interested in this topic too, for I do a lot of running on a treadmill and want to control the pace of my work-outs... I have measured my belt and counted 10 revolutions at various speeds. This is what I found: mph error 2.0 5% faster 3.0 3% faster 4.0 4% faster 5.0 2% faster Note that this is my partcular treadmill, and every treadmill will be different (some could even be slower than actual). Also, you need to be walking/running on the belt when you take the measurements. If I were to repeat this experiment, I would probably do 20 revolutions as ThePro suggested (to reduce measurement error), and also do 6.0 and 7.0 mph. (If you're faster, you should measure at the speeds you typically run). Another approach which I am looking at is making a comparison based on heart rate vs. pace measurements. I have collected the following heart rate data on my treadmill: I plan on going to the track (hopefully tomorrow!) to collect similar heart rate vs. pace data there. I plan to just run evenly paced 400 meter laps, notching up the pace after each lap, while I continuously monitor my heart rate. This will allow me to draw a similar graph for outside running. Probably too much information, but would be interested in hearing from others who have undertaken similar experiments...
            Teresadfp

One day at a time

va, great info! Now I know why I'm getting addicted to running - all the statistics! I'm a geeky engineer - totally unathletic, but if I can chart my performance and improvement on my new Garmin, I will be very happy! I just never realized the connection between math and running. We should advertise this to all the professional engineering associations, not to mention accountants, etc.!
              va

va, great info! Now I know why I'm getting addicted to running - all the statistics! I'm a geeky engineer - totally unathletic, but if I can chart my performance and improvement on my new Garmin, I will be very happy! I just never realized the connection between math and running. We should advertise this to all the professional engineering associations, not to mention accountants, etc.!
                running + RA + Garmin => data + analysis => happiness Big grin I recently got a Garmin too, with the heart rate monitor, so I am trying to figure out what I can learn from this heart rate data. Minimally, it will allow me to see if my aerobic fitness changes over time...
                mvpgirl

Conference Champion

Thanks for all of your input! I think I will try to measure, and see how everything adds up. My dad is pretty geeky, so im sure he can help me. I'll try cooling down at a slow speed too, to help the 'seasick' feeling when stepping on solid ground.
                  2008 Track Goals
                  3200m (12:59)
                  1600m Record (5:32)
                  800m (2:29)
                    I find I can never run as fast on the treadmill as I can on say the track around the local highschool or the campus of NYIT. I have no explanation.
                    I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock
                    TheProFromDover

TheProFromDover

Thanks for all of your input! I think I will try to measure, and see how everything adds up. ...
                      Oh goodie. I am so happy we can have some fun with this. Craig

-Craig - "TPFD53 at gmail dot com"

For me, the treadmill seems like more effort. Probably a combination of the calibration being off and boredom. Luckily, when I bought the Garmin on Amazon, the footpod was free. This helps with the calibration across different treadmills. But, I've found I have to take my Garmin off (and cover the display on the treadmill) because I focus too much on the time when inside. So, I tuck the Garmin in the cup holder and won't look at it until I'm done.
                        "If I control myself, I control my destiny."