Two Ideas ..... Auto Weather / Garmin workaround (Read 1158 times)

Adam

Eric - this site is absolutely amazing and i love everything you're doing - it KILLS anything Garmin Connect has or anything else out there - it's for true runners who care about training, not people looking for a place to store data... Two ideas i have ... 1) Auto-weather inputs - zip code (could have a default) and time of day (auto via garmin) output - automatically fills in the weather data 2) Automatically delete the "intervals/laps" that Garmin logs as "rest laps" (when the watch is stopped it still records this as a rest lap and is accounted for as the total time even though there is zero distance - inaccurate overall pace) I always import my Garmin data (FLAWLESSLY AND QUICKLY) and have to go into the workout and manually delete these rest laps - when I stopped by traffic or stop for water or something. I also have to clear the time and distance then re-click on the "auto-calculate INTERVALS" box by the GPS intervals. You could have these "rest laps" be automatically be logged as "rest" instead of "intervals" in the GPS Intervals. Or have the option to always get rid of them. They're easily found --------> time > 0 and distance = 0. note: the fact you can even manually go in and delete them and modify your intervals at all is GREAT - something you can't do w/ Garmin Connect. Again - these enhancements would be icing on the cake! my $0.02 THANKS A TON FOR EVERYTHING!!!!!!!
      Adam, are you familiar with the autopause function on the Garmin? I had to stop at a traffic light today, but I have my watch set to automatically pause the time if my pace exceeds 20 min/mile. I've never had my watch log a lap when I am at rest, are you pressing the lap button for your own reference?
      2010 Goals: Run 1500 miles Sub 22 minute 5K Sub 37 minute 8K Sub 1:45 HM Complete a marathon
      wyerock

I'm confused about the "rest laps" too. If I stop mine, it does not record anything. Must be a setting somewhere on the watch to control this. (I have a FR305) I don't use auto-pause because it caused some distance inaccuracies on my old 101 when it got a bad signal. If it paused, it didn't record anything. If it didn't pause, it at least tried to figure out how far I'd gone, and the clock was still accurate (in a race). Auto weather would be a great idea. http://weather.noaa.gov/ provides the information, just need a way to parse the data and grab the stats.

Adam

No - definitely the Start/Stop button - not lap button see this: http://twurl.nl/5jg6dk I run with the Garmin FR 50 (footpod) I've search high and low for settings to dismantle this "rest lap" or something like the auto-pause, but no dice. I've read many other forumns with this frustration - so maybe it's unique to the FR 50 - does the new 405 have this? just for the sake of knowing...
            No - definitely the Start/Stop button - not lap button see this: http://twurl.nl/5jg6dk I run with the Garmin FR 50 (footpod) I've search high and low for settings to dismantle this "rest lap" or something like the auto-pause, but no dice. I've read many other forumns with this frustration - so maybe it's unique to the FR 50 - does the new 405 have this? just for the sake of knowing...
            I have a 405 and have not had any problems. I can confirm that the 405 has autopause, but I am not sure about other models.
            2010 Goals: Run 1500 miles Sub 22 minute 5K Sub 37 minute 8K Sub 1:45 HM Complete a marathon
            eric :)

Adam, Thank you for the suggestions. Auto weather is something that I wanted to do but haven't found a data source with historical data, preferrably free. Since RA is used by users from all over the world, the data source needs to allow international data as well. If you know of such a data source, please let me know. The GPS import feature still needs some work. I talked to the Garmin Connect developer this week and he indicated to me that the data format will change soon. If that's the case, I rather wait until they change it and then enhance this feature at the same time. No point in doing the work twice. I also got some ideas for enhancements as well, such as splitting workouts into multiple workouts. eric :-)

Adam

Eric - sounds good! Like I said, these would be icing on the cake - your responsivness to your users is amazing.
                  Historical weather data is available from www.wunderground.com. Put in you zip code and partway down the page is a link "Weather History for This Location" that gives it to you. See Link from my home town for yesterday: http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KPASINKI1&month=4&day=23&year=2009 You can even download a csv of all the data.' Hope this helps, I would love autoweather.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

Historical weather data is available from www.wunderground.com. Put in you zip code and partway down the page is a link "Weather History for This Location" that gives it to you. See Link from my home town for yesterday: http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KPASINKI1&month=4&day=23&year=2009 You can even download a csv of all the data.' Hope this helps, I would love autoweather.
                    Weather underground was first considered but their user license agreement wanted to charge for the use of their data.