Nike+ (Read 886 times)

cbennett926

Trust Me, Im an Engineer

I have been using Nike+ for a while and I love it for keeping track of my paces, runs, and such; however I am beginning to get frustrated with their shoes. I know they have pods you can put your sensor in, what I am asking is if anyone has any experience with it as for accuracy with other shoes? I am looking at getting some new Mizuno's or Brooks, but I am preferring accuracy of my Nike+ Sportband over quality of shoe (only slightly of course).

TLDR;

Is Nike+ accurate with shoes other than Nike brand with a shoe pod sleeve?

Not all those who wander are lost - JRR Tolkien

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

I don't use the pod at all and it doesn't seem to interfere with accuracy.
      cbennett926

Trust Me, Im an Engineer

I don't use the pod at all and it doesn't seem to interfere with accuracy.

I'm talking without the use of GPS, I use the Sportband, not the new GPS watch. I have used the phone app, but I like being able to glance at my watch to see how I am doing. I don't like the size of the GPS watch either

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

The Nike GPS watch is smaller than some of the others. I would still switch to a Garmin given the opportunity. If you want accuracy, you should probably use a GPS. I don't think the footpods are accurate at all. Have you tested it against an actual map to determine whether or not your mileage is accurate when you use it? The only times I have ever used the foot sensor thingy it was WAY off on a known route.
          cbennett926

Trust Me, Im an Engineer

The Nike GPS watch is smaller than some of the others. I would still switch to a Garmin given the opportunity. If you want accuracy, you should probably use a GPS. I don't think the footpods are accurate at all. Have you tested it against an actual map to determine whether or not your mileage is accurate when you use it? The only times I have ever used the foot sensor thingy it was WAY off on a known route.

The largest margin of error I have ever seen with my sensor was about .02-.2 of a mile, as checked by a mapmyrun, and running the GPS at the same time (the Sportband can't sync up with the GPS App therefor not assisting the watch) so I feel like it's great. Now this was also with the Nike+ Shoes mind you, the LunarGlide+ 4's to be precise. Also, the Sportband was a gift from my fiance and I feel better using it because of that.

CeeDotA

Can't speak to the accuracy of the footpod, as I used the iPhone app. I did find the app to be regularly off. It had me at 13.3 for the Eugene Half, and I'm pretty sure that course of all courses wasn't off by .2 of a mile. It was off on other runs as well, sometimes by very little, sometimes by a lot. The iPod app was even worse as far as accuracy, since it measured distance via accelerometer and had no GPS.

Current PRs:

5K: 27:06 (11/10/12) | 5M: 44:03 (6/1/13) | 10K: 1:00:48 (7/4/12)

15K: 1:27:53 (3/17/13) | 10M: 1:30:25 (4/13/13) | HM: 1:59:55 (4/28/13)

Next race: Ashland 4th of July 10K

yweuiuyywe

Spam

Not quite right

I use the pod with my  Nike GPS watch and don't run in Nike's. Have s pod holder on my shoe laces. Last HM I ran lost GPS upsetting in it's self long tunnel we run through. It showed 13.5 miles.  I did do a fair amount of weaving in traffic at times so that could add some. As a whole it seems mine is always off just a bit even with the GPS. 

cbennett926

Trust Me, Im an Engineer

I use the pod with my  Nike GPS watch and don't run in Nike's. Have s pod holder on my shoe laces. Last HM I ran lost GPS upsetting in it's self long tunnel we run through. It showed 13.5 miles.  I did do a fair amount of weaving in traffic at times so that could add some. As a whole it seems mine is always off just a bit even with the GPS. 

See, I'm fine as long as it's within ~.3 of a mile. If it's consistently off .5 a mile then fine I'll run a half mile more or less, so long as it's consistent. 

hvmorfun

mad cow

I've been using Nike+ with my iPod for about 2 years now, and always in a pod on my shoe.  The only time I noticed any inconsistency was during one 5K, but I think that had more to do with my form than anything else.  

You know, evil comes in many forms, be it a man-eating cow or Joseph Stalin. But you can't let the package hide the pudding. Evil is just plain bad. You don't cotton to it. You gotta smack it on the nose with the rolled up newspaper of goodness. Bad dog! Bad dog!

cbennett926

Trust Me, Im an Engineer

And this was done with a pouch style adapter and not within the shoe (under the sole)?

hvmorfun

mad cow

I can't remember the last time I owned a pair of Nike shoes... probably grade school.  The sensor holder is something I picked up on either ebay or Amazon for less than $1, and made by Tune Belt - Sensor Case for Nike+

I started off wearing VFFs, then moved to Pace Gloves and now Kinvaras.  In the two years I've had it, the velcro has never failed.  I also like the fact that I don't have to worry about lacing it into whatever shoes I want to use.  

Thinking about my earlier statement regarding the different reading during a 5K, I should also point out that at that time virtually all of my runs were done on a treadmill and so the sensor had been calibrated for that.  Once I started running outside and re-calibrated, it's been great.

You know, evil comes in many forms, be it a man-eating cow or Joseph Stalin. But you can't let the package hide the pudding. Evil is just plain bad. You don't cotton to it. You gotta smack it on the nose with the rolled up newspaper of goodness. Bad dog! Bad dog!

cmb4314

I can't imagine that the three inches from the sole of your shoe to a pouch on your laces is going to throw off readings from the footpod that much.   Particularly if you calibrate it once you toss it on your new shoes.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

ElaineOK

Love my Nike+, and I will second the recommendation for the Tune Belt pouch -- cheap, easy, secure, fast.  I don't wear Nike shoes.  I only run in Ryka's.  They fit my feet.  I pretty carefully synchronized my Nike+ sensor about a month after I got it.  It was wildly inaccurate before that, but it is real close to dead on (and very consistent) ever since.  The real advantage of the pouch is that it is so easy to take the sensor off when you aren't running.  This makes a huge difference in battery life. 

I am a very petite woman.  I do not want to run with a smartphone strapped to my arm.  My ipod Nano and my Nike+ sensor give me music, playlists, coaching if I want it, Tabata interval timers, logging and course feedback all in one small, convenient, light-weight, inexpensive package.  Nike and Apple have both put huge amounts of money into this, and I am grateful. 

Go for the pouch. 

Elaine

Norman, OK

NHLA

Nike+ will work in a pod. Mine is homemade. My nike+ broke. Nike sent me a new one and it broke. They are water resistant not waterproof. Even sweat will short them out. Good luck.