Alter G Anti-Gravity Treadmill (Read 1855 times)

I look my best blurry!

FYI - I asked the PT today how much they cost.  She said they were originally around 80K.  The price is coming down but not really to a reasonable price for most at home users.  Closer to 25K now.  The one I used isn't as new or sleek as the one I have in the picture, but it works the same.  

I think I am getting an incredible deal.  When I've used up all of my PT visits from my insurance, I can continue to use all of the equipment in the rehab for only $35 a month, for up to 6 months!!  I was shocked and delighted with this price.  I would have thought there would have been a per use fee.  NOPE!  

xhristopher

I think I am getting an incredible deal.  When I've used up all of my PT visits from my insurance, I can continue to use all of the equipment in the rehab for only $35 a month, for up to 6 months!!  I was shocked and delighted with this price.  I would have thought there would have been a per use fee.  NOPE!  

I can only imagine what your log is going to look like if you use this regularly for that time. I bet you cold run 10 miles each hour, for starters.

I look my best blurry!

When the PT asked how often I wanted to come in I think I made a funny face.  How many times a day???  Oh!  A week.  I said "every other day, for starters."  Next week they will be kicking me off the thing at closing time!  Lol!  

mta - I can overdo just about anything.  I'll try to behave.

krystin954

My friend currently uses this to train twice a week. Says it's awesome to finally run pain free...although your legs move realllly fast in order to get the same workout because it reduces your body weight..

That's Ms Squeak to you!

*rubbery shorts*

nope. can't get past it. Tried. Can't.

Rubbery shorts!!!! *rofl*

I look my best blurry!

I ran again today.  Up to 70% for 8.1 mi at 7:10 pace.  Woo Hoo!  Feels easy when you only weigh 73 lbs.  No baggage what so ever!  The best part is that not only did I not have pain while running, it didn't increase my pain after the workout.  Pool tomorrow.  This thing is the bomb!  The rep sent me some info and told me to tell all my (rich) running friends.  You can buy them for home use.  

You can check it out on YouTube.   AlterG M300 Trainer Takes The Strain Off Fragile Joints

The one I use is a little different but you will get the idea. The one I use is actually better for running according to the rep. 

Sounds great!!

I'm curious how you will transition to road running.

Will they just gradually increase the amount of weigh your bearing until it's at or near 100%?

What will you do to help prevent your shin splints in the future? More running on soft surfaces? Regular people's treadmill?

I look my best blurry!

Sounds great!!

I'm curious how you will transition to road running.

Will they just gradually increase the amount of weigh your bearing until it's at or near 100%?

What will you do to help prevent your shin splints in the future? More running on soft surfaces? Regular people's treadmill?

That's right.  I am up to 70% now.  I will increase the percentage of weight bearing as I can tolerate it.  Hopefully, in a few weeks I will be at 100%.  In addition I am working on exercises to strengthen my lower legs.  Bosu trainer, calf raises three ways on the edge of a step, anterior tibialis exercises(eccentric and concentric) with the leg press, therapy band exercises for eversion and inversion, strengthening the arches, and on and on and on!  I think I will keep some of these in my regular routine for prevention.  

Right now I walk and do some slow jogging.  I will probably do some of my first runs on land on a local cushioned football field and go from there.  I plan to alternate between the Alter G and on the ground for a couple of weeks if not for months to increase my mileage without having to take the pounding.  Alberto Salazar used one!  Check out some of the YouTube testimonials.  It really works.     

vitadolce

Hi wannaberunner!

I realize I'm bumping an old thread but I stumbled upon this thread looking for insight into those who've used the alter g while recovering from stress fractures :-)

Two things I was wondering from you -

First, at what point did you start using it? I am almost 3 weeks out from my sfx (2nd metatarsal) and out of the boot. While it doesn't hurt while I walk, i do feel something when i push off (it may be tendons since it is more general or it may be weakness from being in the boot on and off for 2 weeks... or it could possibly be the bone). Right now i have my first AlterG session on monday (which will be 3 weeks). I *think* that should be enough time especially if there is minimal (at most) running but I am curious about when you started and how you knew you were ready. 

Second, did you follow any sort of plan as you went to did you make it up as you went along? The place I will go to is more of a gym than a PT place so it looks like i will craft my use of it myself. I do plan to intersperse xtraining (bike, pool run, swim, which i'm doing now) with it and as I progress, weed those out and convert to more % of running... and gradually add easy (soft surface) running in as well. But I"M curious how you might have gone about the mix. :-)

Any insight is much appreciated. I'm so stoked to use it and have ongoing access to it here. I actually know what it's like already since I tried it once 3 years ago when I visited there HQ so as much as i hate treadmills, i am thrilled.

Oh on a side note, if it helps, I'm 32F and have been running marathons for about 8-9 years and running more competitively the last 4 or so. I was wrapping up a summer of base training/trail running as I was about to transition into marathon training for a december race but maybe i jumped the gun too soon without enough rest. Anyway, would love your thoughts... and especially to hear how it played out in the time after you last posted! :-)