A few of my favorite running things - What are yours? (Read 251 times)

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

A few of my favorite running related things - what are yours?:

Balega Hidden Comfort socks

Brooks Ghost 6 shoes

Garmin 310XT

Under Armour technical tees

Apple nano ipod

Balega Hidden Comfort socks are the best I've found. I've tried many brands/models on running socks and these are the most comfortable. No rolling, folding, slipping, or binding while running. They "disappear" during a run for "nothing there" comfort.

Brooks Ghost 6. A great shoe for my feet. Of course I found them after a professional foot/gate analysis at a good running store. You should find your perfect shoe in the same way.

Garmin 310XT. Still have a Garmin 405 model. I like this model better. Bulkier but much better battery life and more reliability. Seems to see through trees better when on tree lined routes. Large screen and dedicated buttons make for a better user experience.

Under Armour tees. Great quality at a good price. What's not to like. Great fabric that is soft and non-chafing on the skin.

Apple nano. Sure, it's tunes and not specifically for running. But I remember running with a 2 lb. Sony Walkman back in my younger days. I have pocket lint that weighs more than the nano. Sometimes a nice beat can really jack up the workout. The nano is perfect for taking your favorite tracks with you.

How about you - what gear do you love?

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

MTD: needlessly passive aggressive angerspeech. srry.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Not dead. Yet.

There's only one piece of running gear that i can't live without... Ibuprofen!

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

sbpbrent

Ludwig Classic Maple

Honey Stinger Waffles

Tech. Shirts

marathonguide.com

REI

Honey Stinger waffles come in lots of great flavors and are as good as any candy bar there is (and better for you).

Tech shirts don't wrinkle.  That makes them great for sleepwear or for wearing in the car on road trips.

Marathonguide.com is a great vacation planner.  This year was Mt. Sneffels in the San Juan mountains (which is my favorite Colorado range). Next year is Escalante Canyon or Crazy Horse.

REI has a great variety of running nutrition and hydration products as well as camping equipment that comes in handy on the marathon trips.  Smile

Marathon PR: 3:25:35 Fall Classic, 2014

1/2 Marathon PR: 1:35:59, Mt. Sneffels Half Marathon, 2014

Joann Y

There's only one piece of running gear that i can't live without... Ibuprofen!

yes!

Nothing like a bib number and four safety pins to get the blood pumping.

Runners run

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Mint flavored sugarless gum

My little pink Skeeter Camelbak

Custom fit shoe orthotic combined with the ball of foot orthotic from Dr.Scolls.  I recently threw out the ball of foot cushion because I decided I didn't need it any more and my feet are killing me now. Sad

The Zombies, Run! iPhone app

My 80 lb German shepherd.

Leah, mother of dogs

sugnim

My shoes, my dog, and and long trail are all I need, and are indeed my favorite running things.  The rest are add-ons and distractions.

ETA: Although, I really do like a good slice of pie after a long run as well.

Mind wandering miles and Guilt-free pizza.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

RA (duh!)

Summer evening runs when shadows are long and Winter is far away

pacing friends to PRs and meet-ups in new places

duathlons (even though I am always FAR FAR FAR stronger on the bike leg than the running ones...the trick is to get enough cushion during that bike leg and then keep some lead during that last run leg.  The challenge of that is a huge fave)

new shoe smell!

awesome blood work #s and BP

fuzzy new merino socks

Sport Shield

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Any running shoes that fit my chunky, fat, wide feet.

steph  

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Any running shoes that fit my chunky, fat, wide feet.

And...(that sounds like my feet and I'm just happy to have found that men's nike frees go as small as a 7 - ie women's 8.5.  They are still none too roomy)?  What have you found that fits?

~ Sarah Kay

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I like a low drop / neutral shoe.  Not only is my foot too wide it's short and curved which

just compounds the issue.  I'm pretty sure that I've ordered and returned most of the low(ish) drop

shoes at Running warehouse.  There are some very nice ones but too strait or narrow for me.

For the past year I've been wearing New Balance woman's trail 1010.  I use them on

asphalt for the most part.  I  haven't tried the new 1010vs2 yet.  Also wearing the Brooks Pure Drift

but only because they are very wide across the ball of my foot.  But they are definitely a weird shoe and

lace funny.   But nice and wide / curved.    None of the other Pure line even comes close to fitting me.

I'd love to be able to wear the Nike Frees but not only are they too narrow I feel a big lump under the arch...

Before I went more minimal / low the only shoes I wore were Pegasus and Asics Pulse.

And sadly, the older I get the wider my foot gets.

steph  

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I like a low drop / neutral shoe.  Not only is my foot too wide it's short and curved which

just compounds the issue.  I'm pretty sure that I've ordered and returned most of the low(ish) drop

shoes at Running warehouse.  There are some very nice ones but too strait or narrow for me.

For the past year I've been wearing New Balance woman's trail 1010.  I use them on

asphalt for the most part.  I  haven't tried the new 1010vs2 yet.  Also wearing the Brooks Pure Drift

but only because they are very wide across the ball of my foot.  But they are definitely a weird shoe and

lace funny.   But nice and wide / curved.    None of the other Pure line even comes close to fitting me.

I'd love to be able to wear the Nike Frees but not only are they too narrow I feel a big lump under the arch...

Before I went more minimal / low the only shoes I wore were Pegasus and Asics Pulse.

And sadly, the older I get the wider my foot gets.

Ahhh...and while my feet are wide and sorta low-volume, they are also VERY straight.  I loathe what NB did with their shoes when they eliminated the SL-1 last, since it was so straight.  Everything else is so curved.  The Frees are sorta straightish, which is the only reason they work as well for me as they do, given that they aren't overly wide.

~ Sarah Kay

Julia1971

Here are my top choices:

Garmin 610.  I was skeptical when I first bought this watch - I didn't think it would be worth the money.  But, I love it.  I like the touch screen and the ease of programming workouts.

iPod Shuffle.  I love my tunes.  For years, I used a Nano and I liked being able to see the playlists and songs.  But with the new design, I'm going back to the Shuffle.

Amphipod Water Bottle.  The neoprene cover with the pouch makes this the best water bottle ever.  My knuckles don't hurt and I can stash my house key in the pocket.

Spibelt.  I was also skeptical of this product.  I thought it would bounce around a lot.  But, it is surprisingly comfortable and holds a lot of stuff.

Locklaces.  I haven't tied a shoe lace in years!

As far as clothes, I have so many favorites that I couldn't even try to make a list.  But, +1 to Balega socks being wonderful.