Victim of snot rocket at gym. Appropriate response? (Read 370 times)

Hill Slug

I was running on the treadmill at my workplace fitness center.  The guy next to me blows a snot rocket that hits my leg.  I was so totally surprised and repulsed.  He was seemingly unaware what he had done (he was wearing earbuds) or he didn't care.

I took the disinfectant spray and doused myself and removed the offending mucous.

Should I have confronted him?  Politely or apeshit crazy?  Or is snot rocket warfare standard gym procedure?

molly

All time PR:  1:20 HM. 2:49 M

2013 goal:  Master's PR HM  Recover from illness/finish the year strong

Rage, rage against the dying of the light

A Saucy Wench

I would have confronted. apeshit crazy.  I might have hit the emergency stop on his treadmill and seen if I could make him crash into the console

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Oh definitely immediate confrontation time.  Hit his pause, or stand in front of him.  Look him in the eye and point to affected area. Say WTF???!!    I wouldn't want him doing cleanup, but he's got to see the effect of his inconsiderate (and gross) behaviour.  Mention to front desk so if he's a repeat rocketeer they can deal with it.

It would be hard to believe someone could be that unaware of their bodily functions, and the people exercising around them.

Feeling the growl again

Snot rockets indoors?  Respond according to your personal style and comfort level but really, whether you were hit or not that is wrong.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Julia1971

I'm usually so shocked when stuff like this happens that I don't do anything but give a death glare.

Did he actually apply pressure to one nostril and blow, or could it have been expelled accidently?  LOL!  I can't believe I just wrote that.  It reminds me of the Seinfeld episode with the "magic loogie".

I'm sorry you snotted on.  Sad

xhristopher

Does your gym have a rules or a conduct of code? He's probably violated one so perhaps you could just pass the issue to the staff to deal with him.

TJoseph

Does your gym have a rules or a conduct of code? He's probably violated one so perhaps you could just pass the issue to the staff to deal with him.

At the very least he should have had a towel he could have sneezed into.  I never get on a treadmill without a towel to wipe the sweat off.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I definitely would have confronted him. Stopped my own treadmill and stared at him until he said"what" or something. Then showed him the snot. Then advised management.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Hill Slug

Thanks everyone.

My training partner on the next treadmill saw the whole event in the mirrors which line the wall in front of the treadmills.  And yes, it was a finger blocking nostril forceful snot rocket.

We had previously reported him to our site health & safety head and he was told to stop the snot rockets.  He then started using a towel but i guess he got lazy about it.  I think he needs a training session on gym behavior.

I love the suggestions for pulling his emergency stop or  Pause button.   My cries of 'oh my god' and looks of disgust didn't get his attention.

Spring is just around the corner!  In the meantime, I will be running at a different time of day.

thanks again!

All time PR:  1:20 HM. 2:49 M

2013 goal:  Master's PR HM  Recover from illness/finish the year strong

Rage, rage against the dying of the light

A Saucy Wench

Oh.  well if he is a repeat offender - yes definitely repeatedly tell management.  And bring something heavy to throw at him next time.  Like a water balloon filled with oil

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Oh.  well if he is a repeat offender - yes definitely repeatedly tell management.  And bring something heavy to throw at him next time.  Like a water balloon filled with oil

I 2nd the stop button or water ballon. Possibly drop a 45lb plate on his treadmill and then say WTF.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Better I Leave

Interesting responses. If the OP were on the receiving end of said "snot rocket" "outdoors", would it be considered acceptable behavior? Would anyone answer differently?

A Saucy Wench

Interesting responses. If the OP were on the receiving end of said "snot rocket" "outdoors", would it be considered acceptable behavior? Would anyone answer differently?

While it is rude not to check your lanes outdoors and make sure they are clear before snot clearing whether it be the rocket or hocked variety.  Very rude.  Not acceptable to land it on other people  But it is acceptable to clear snot at velocity in the great outdoors.  Clearing snot at velocity indoors is not.  So it is a double offense.  Maybe triple.

Julia1971

Not acceptable.  And, I find the practice kinda gross.  Along with spitting.  My mom didn't allow us to do it as kids and I still have a bias towards keeping my phlegm to myself just in case she's watching.  Smile

OP, I missed the part about this being your workplace gym.  But, the fact that it's happened before and it's been reported probably would have prompted me to say something.  I would just do what you're doing - keep reporting it and run elsewhere unless management revokes his gym privileges.  Two warnings seems like plenty to me.

Maggie & Molly

that is disgusting.  I am sure he heard your sounds of distress.  I would report him with a formal complaint of some kind.

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
                                Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363