Neutral, Supination or Pronation? (Read 82 times)

chubbykitty

Hi all, I've started running slow and am experiencing some knee pain and ankle pain. I went down to my local running shoes store and they watched me run on a treadmill and after much hemming and hawwing, they recommended I buy a shoe for overponation (Mizuno Wave Inspire).

Oddly enough, when I looked at my older pairs of shoes, I noticed that it was the outside heel and toe of the soles which were getting worn out the most, which makes me think I'm actually underpronating and not overpronating during my stride. This also makes me think that maybe I've been sold the wrong shoes.

Can you folks have a look at my soles and advise?

Soles-1

Soles-2

How many miles do you have on those shoes?

running metalhead

How many miles do you have on those shoes?

Dunno, but I have a few pairs over 1000 miles and they look better than that.

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
        - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
        - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
        - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
        - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
        - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

chubbykitty

Thanks for the replies folks! I've long thrown these shoes away but I believe I wore them for 1-2 years each without paying attention. For the last 9 months I've been running with either Nike Air Preso Ultra Flyknits or Mizuno Wave Inspires and cycling them out in 4-6 months (500-600 miles) when they show wear. The point of using these pics was to show the extreme wearing out for the purpose of figuring out if I'm underpronating a lot or not.

Some miscellaneous thoughts, not guaranteed to solve your problem:

I'm a heel striker.  Even after over ten years of running, I still skid when planting my feet.  My shoes start getting Shoe Goo on the outside corner of the heels at 250-300 miles.  They wear through the forefoot area at 2500 to 3000 miles, at which point I throw them away.

I think you have some combination of forefoot and heel striking, combined with skidding when your feet make contact with the ground.  Or you are a heel striker with some sort of foot twist at push off.  It may have nothing to do with pronation.  You could try some barefoot running and see if you grind the skin off your feet.  If so, you are definitely skidding.

Knee and ankle pain definitely points toward shoes.  You might try a different running store.

I do not know but I overpronate according to anyone who watches me, and it feels badly and injuries threaten when I try to move down in support... and the outside top of my shoes wear first, too.  It's different because I am running pain free so there's something to address for you, but I think you need more than just the shoes to decide.

MTA :  This is heatherruns, accidentally was in husband's account instead of my own. Sorry