Treatment to Remove Toenail Fungus (Read 18215 times)

mychosking

Good Day!

I had three toenail fungus on my right feet. And I'm now searching and looking for a good treatment. Any suggestions guys?

I want a treatment that was safe and effective in removing toenail fungus...

My friend suggested me to try the Fungusil. But i don't have any idea at all what's this product is all about?.Has anyone know this product?  She also suggested me the remedies Tea Tree Oil and Vick's Vapor Rub. Is home remedies really effective? What's your suggestion treatment?

I will wait for your reply/answer guys.

Godbless.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

1. How do you know what you have is toenail fungus?  ONLY a special medical test (a toenail culture) can diagnose this.  There are a number of things that look like toenail fungus.

2. If you have toenail fungus, the ONLY way to cure it (short of toenail removal) is to take prescription medications that are both expensive and require blood test monitoring, and that for several months.

3. Topical treatments, including vinegar, tea trea oil or fungal creams do nothing for this.

That is, if you think you have toenail fungs and you actually want to do something about it, go see your doc.

Sorry.

Had toenail fungus on  two toes on each foot. I used white vinegar, a drop on the cuticle, twice a day. I completely cleared up the two smaller nails. The larger ones only partially, before they returned to full infection. A few years later, after a long race in the rain where my shoes and socks were soaked, I ended up getting another toenail infected, and one of the small ones I had cleared up got reinfected. About 3 months ago, after reading some success stories, I started soaking my feet epsom salts every night. I figured at the very least my feet would feel better. It cured some athletes foot within two weeks. All nails (even the stubborn big toenails) are now over 50% clear--there is a line of demarcation where it is clear and where it is not, though part of the infected  parts are clearing. I also file the nails, making the whole thing as thin as possible, cut off all the infected parts that I can, and do the vinegar drops twice a day. I never miss a day. I also never put a pair of socks back on that I took off. Go barefoot as much as possible to keep feet dry. There are several home remedies that have worked for some people, but have not worked for others. If you choose to do the drugs, ask your podiatrist the success rate and the side effects.  Do some googling and look for folk remedy websites where people share what's worked for them, and what didn't. Like this one:

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/fungus4.html

Half Fanatic #846

2. If you have toenail fungus, the ONLY way to cure it (short of toenail removal) is to take prescription medications that are both expensive and require blood test monitoring, and that for several months.

I'm in the 2nd month of this treatment prescribed by my podiatrist and it is working (very slowly). Prior to that, nothing worked for me. My brother went thru the same treatment as #2 above several years ago (different doctor) and that eventually cleared things up - I think it took 4-5 months.

Good luck.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Had toenail fungus on  two toes on each foot. I used white vinegar, a drop on the cuticle, twice a day. I completely cleared up the two smaller nails.

How do you know what you have is toenail fungus?  ONLY a special medical test (a toenail culture) can diagnose this.  There are a number of things that look like toenail fungus. If you have toenail fungus, the ONLY way to cure it (short of toenail removal) is to take prescription medications that are both expensive and require blood test monitoring, and that for several months. Topical treatments, including vinegar, tea trea oil or fungal creams do nothing for this.  

How do you know what you have is toenail fungus?  ONLY a special medical test (a toenail culture) can diagnose this.  There are a number of things that look like toenail fungus. If you have toenail fungus, the ONLY way to cure it (short of toenail removal) is to take prescription medications that are both expensive and require blood test monitoring, and that for several months. Topical treatments, including vinegar, tea trea oil or fungal creams do nothing for this.  

Your 100% absolute surety (to paraphrase: no one has EVER cured themselves of a toenail fungus without the aid of a doctor or a pill--EVER) makes it sound like you might be a podiatrist. If so, what is the success rate of the terbinafine pills?  I've read numbers ranging from 20-50%. If those are true, I would rather go at it the way I'm doing it. The vinegar did work on the smaller problem nails (you cannot miss a treatment), but not on the large. So far so good with the epsom salts. I've never seen this amount of clearing in my large nails. That might not fit the current western medicine paradigm (my father is on 5 pills, but has never been told to change his diet, exercise, belief systems or meditate), but in my experience people have cured themselves of all sorts of things that doctors say is impossible without taking the expensive pharmaceuticals, one on top of the other on top of the other on top of the other (and mostly just manage symptoms). I do have nail fungus. Just thought I'd share my experience with the initial poster. There are other ways that have worked for some people, unless 100% of them are lying about their experience or 100% of  their diagnoses were all wrong and something else actually cleared up.

Lamisil went generic a year or two ago and is now quite cheap.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I am not a podiatrist (are you?).  But I do happen to know a thing or two about toenail fungus and its diagnosis and treatment.

That prescription methods do not work 100% of the time does not mean that vinegar does.

That some doc out there would prefer to tell a patient to take medications rather than work on diet and exercise also does not mean that vinegar works.

Yeah, terbinafine is cheaper, but the blood testing and risk of liver injury are more expensive and that cost remains.

Half Fanatic #846

We're assuming that the diagnosis would be "fungus", although the OP would have to be tested for this before a prognosis can be made.  If soaking my feet or applying a household liquid to the nail works - that's great, although that could be coincidental - but still okay.  In my personal experience (where my medical lab test was positive for fungus) the treatment was a combination of two prescription antifungals - one liquid applied to the nail,  and the other a tablet (I believe w/possible liver damage associated with long term use).  The pills are  expensive but fortunately my insurance now covers it - and I'm having my liver checked in conjunction with my annual physical soon.

I'm just relating my experience for the OP's benefit.  I do think that medical conditions are best treated professionally, rather than by experimentation.  Regardless of the "treatment" mechanism, this is a long term condition (well, unless you have complete toenail removal - and that of course, would require pictures).

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

frmeital

This is from an article about home remedies for toe fungus, hope it helps:

here are the top 3 toe fungus treatments:

1. 30 minute Vinegar baths - vinegar works excellently, but you have to do it without fail morning and night for as long as it takes for your nail to completely grow out. 2 to 3 weeks is not nearly enough - it's more like 5 to 6 months. You will have to change the vinegar every 4-5 days and the smell is not very nice. It works and it's cheap, but it's hard work and takes forever.
                      2. Listerine Baths - I have found this home remedy to be the most effective one for mild cases of infection. You just replace the vinegar with Listerine and follow the same instructions. It eliminated the fungus for 2 of my friends that had very minor cases of infection. For my yellow and ugly nail it wasn't effective.
                      3. Decolorized Iodine - You probably haven't heard of this one, but it's highly effective. It's not highly available, I found it at CVS for 5$. Dip a q-tip in the bottle and paint your nail and the skin next to it. Repeat twice than leave it to dry. You will feel a tingling sensation and that's how you know it works. Sometimes it hurts while applying and the smell is horrible, but after a few weeks of doing this it worked.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/6226595

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Is that source peer-reviewed? I guess it does not matter.  You know, since it is in the internet, so it must be true.  Even though all the research suggests that these topical and home remedies don't work, I guess that something some random person posted on the web takes precedence.

And please, rather than get something that is potentially dangerous checked out, just go with Listerine soaks.  Don't worry that you might be misdiagnosing (and therefore missing) melanoma or psoriasis. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

http://EzineArticles.com/6226595

So, reading the article, I am struck by three additional comments it makes.  First, it states about the above remedies, "While these remedies worked for me, there were 2 problems unsolved: First, the fungus kept coming back...Second problem was that it took months until these remedies finally worked and I was tired of spending half the day soaking in foot baths."  So, they neither really worked, nor were easy to do.  Hmmm.

The second comment was that it drives you to some product that magically solves the problem.  And guess what, you can even buy it!  So cool!!  That. Or...the whole page is really just an advertisement, in disguise.

The third, it appears that the article's author is a James Meital, which is fairly close to your RA username, "frmeital".  I also note that James Meital's name is listed on the linked product's webpage.  So yeah.  I'm thinking that it is all just an ad, trying to sell snake oil to folks who could possibly have a life-threatening disease.  Go away.

xor

>> there were 2 problems unsolved: First, the fungus kept coming back

Nice.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I almost wonder if mychosking is a puppet for meital.  Wonder what IP addresses they posted from...

Best Present Ever

My experience is that nothing really works. My fungus, diagnosed by culture, goes away with lamisil but returns eventually. I can only assume that it likes my toenails. I just cut them very short, like practically gone. This is made easier by that fact that the affected toes get quite beat up from long runs and the nails loosen. My toes look gross. Fortunately I don't really care.