2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

CalBears

Jmac 40% chance of rains for a week is crap? 30% chance of rain Saturday morning and Sunday evening with a breeze out of the North. Sounds like some good race weather to me. 

90% chance that "rain" will be a shower or drizzle - it's so rare to have real rain here - I love rain - maybe because there is so little of it here. Drizzle/shower with temps in the 50s and no sun - would be just awesome. Better would only be temps in the 40s and 100% cloud cover Smile

nimmals  https://wander-place.blogspot.com/2012/12/race-report-2012-california.html 

I didn't run marathons at this point. I've heard about it though. It's something I kind of fear each training cycle. 

I ran it, that was my first CIM - it was not that bad - the only kind of challenging moment was a 40-50 mph wind and a horizontal sharp rain from mile 6 till 11, but other than that it was pretty tolerable, warm - around 55oF I think and I had 6 minutes PR marathon that day - 3:06 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Cinnamon - Hahaha I loved Queen - Greatest hits was one of my Fav albums in college. Those 5 are how i survived college.

Nirvana - Nevermind

Queen - Greatest Hits

Bob Marley - Legend

Abba - Gold

Johnny Cash - Greatest hits

I remember when I first heard the Nevermind album and my jaw hit the floor and couldn’t stop listeneing to it for months! I was lucky enough to see Nirvana live at Reading in 1992 and they were amazing! That album is still top notch in my book. 👍

Cal - Smokie is on your playlist??? 😂

MMC - You know you want to run on a treadmill and watch a good movie. We won’t think any less of you. 😁

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Swim5599

it would have been 2:30 thats why I am only gong to settle for 2:2? in my head been there done that for 2:30. im just making it official.

today was scary i quit my run i felt like absolute shit didnt finish my workout so i may be running 2:34 again. Did I leave my race in last tueasdays workout  I don't know. I struggled to hold 5:40 today. maybe my body knows i race thursday my body does that I chokes me so that I may go go go.

Cinnamon - Hahaha I loved Queen - Greatest hits was one of my Fav albums in college. Those 5 are how i survived college.

Nirvana - Nevermind

Queen - Greatest Hits

Bob Marley - Legend

Abba - Gold

Johnny Cash - Greatest hits

Boyd do you think you just got out to hard last year?  You could try to desc each 10k like I did and feel like ya had a little left at the end.  You d probably still break 2:30 that way and it would a little more enjoyable.

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

CalBears

Cal - Smokie is on your playlist??? 😂

Yep... Nothing you can do with a thing called "nostalgia"...

Mikkey, btw - you gave Nimmals a "pass" on having Abba in his playlist but you picked on me because of Smokie? I guess that's an advantage Nimmals has for being a much faster runner? That's how you judge people? Based on their wealth running abilities?

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

I remember when I first heard the Nevermind album and my jaw hit the floor and couldn’t stop listeneing to it for months! I was lucky enough to see Nirvana live at Reading in 1992 and they were amazing! That album is still top notch in my book. 👍

Their Unplugged performance is still one of my favorites. Ever notice the drummer looks a lot like the guy from the Foo Fighters?

cal that's about what I'm honestly expecting. It's been historically nice weather for me and I've PR'd CIM every single time I've run it. Probably due to better training each time, but I call it "The Magic of CIM."

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

I'm apparently doing tapering right because I'm back up to 165 lbs. A month ago I think I was down to 157. I might need to cut out some snacks.

Thats my biggest fear maintaining 150 during taper if i cant get to the starting line at 1:50 I'm just going for 2:32.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

Thats my biggest fear maintaining 150 during taper if i cant get to the starting line at 1:50 I'm just going for 2:32.

Maybe you could contact AlSal for some weight loss motivation? 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Maybe you could contact AlSal for some weight loss motivation? 

I can just run in a sauna suit.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

cinnamon girl

I just got a 'Well Rested' badge from my garmin. WTF? I've ran over 70 miles miles in past 7 days.  I mean I feel pretty damn good considering, but. And I turned the HRM off a couple months ago. I should take the time to figure out how to turn that stuff off.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I just got a 'Well Rested' badge from my garmin. WTF? I've ran over 70 miles miles in past 7 days.  I mean I feel pretty damn good considering, but. And I turned the HRM off a couple months ago. I should take the time to figure out how to turn that stuff off.

Mine does similar.  The Garmin algorithms are just useless, I think.

Jmac - I saw about your shoulder here and on the other thread.  I'm sorry you're dealing with that.  The taper curse really does continue.

Music:  I think my top 5 during college were:

NIN - Pretty Hate Machine

NIN - the Downward Spiral

Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Majik

Various Artists - This is Techno

I'm sure there were others, but those stick out to me.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Yep... Nothing you can do with a thing called "nostalgia"...

Mikkey, btw - you gave Nimmals a "pass" on having Abba in his playlist but you picked on me because of Smokie? I guess that's an advantage Nimmals has for being a much faster runner? That's how you judge people? Based on their wealth running abilities?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with liking Abba. My wife has the Gold album in our cd cupboard and she has my full permission to play it anytime she likes. 👍

Some secret tips on how to avoid gaining weight during taper - eat less with no processed food and cook everything from scratch, avoid all unnecessary treats like crisps, biscuits, chocolate, ice cream. If you get the munchies then have a nice stick of chewing gum instead. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

There is absolutely nothing wrong with liking Abba. My wife has the Gold album in our cd cupboard and she has my full permission to play it anytime she likes. 👍

Some secret tips on how to avoid gaining weight during taper - eat less with no processed food and cook everything from scratch, avoid all unnecessary treats like crisps, biscuits, chocolate, ice cream. If you get the munchies then have a nice stick of chewing gum instead. 👍

Whee do gummy worms fall in this secret advice?How is ice cream unnecessary? I mean, I switched from a pint of Ben and Jerry’s to Halo so it’s only 320 calories. That counts right?

abba....didn’t they do a lot of disco?

garmin has badges? Does the sub 3 group have badges or hats? I like hats.

Jmac how is the shuolder?

so not motivated to run today. 17 mph wind. 27 F feels like. Snowing. Taper day before a 10k  is a thing right?

VDOT 53.37 

Swim5599

Found out I got into Berlin for next year.  Can’t wait

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Found out I got into Berlin for next year.  Can’t wait

SWEET! are you going to go for all the majors?

https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2019/11/27/80-westbound-closed-chain-controls-widespread-lake-tahoe-interstate-80-donner-summit-reno-snow/4317799002/

I'm really glad CIM isn't this weekend. This should clear up in the next few days however it's a real possibility when weather comes to town for CIM. Typically travel towards California is stopped first. Plenty of people then rush out to get over the pass when roads open because they've been sitting in their car on the freeway for 1-5 hours and someone spins out so the roads get closed again.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I finally understand what DW meant about CIM being a bad time around Thanksgiving. The problem with tapering is that you're just as hungry as you are when running the high mileage, at least for me. It's like my body has a lag before it realizes that it doesn't need the calories it used to. That can certainly be an issue around Thanksgiving, as there is food and alcohol all over the place!

Good luck to everyone keeping the pounds off.

Swim - congrats on Berlin! That's awesome.

Brew - shoulder is crap, seeing the orthopedist today. I was glad to read someone over on 1:30 has dealt with the same thing with a flu shot.

Cinnamon - Usually I'm a big nerd of analytics and gadgets, but I'm one of the few people here who never uses a heart rate monitor. I fee like you just become a much better runner when you focus on feel. Even with GPS, 95% of the time I'm using it to tell myself to slow down if I'm feeling especially good during an easy run. I set caps in speed (or floors in pace, however you like it ) and use the GPS to control myself. Otherwise, feel is so important. Who cares what Garmin says!

Nimmals - As someone who LOVES to sandbag, I have to say this: too much sandbagging from you lately! It's 2:2X or bust for you. No excuses. Go out at 5:40 pace and hold on for dear life. Unless you're stupid and start running 5:30, at worst you will PR. Better to go for 2:29 and run a 2:33 instead of running a perfect 2:31 race.

Goals/Sandbagging/CIM - I think every single person is going for a PR at CIM, except for Cal, correct?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)