"Off Season" running plan (Read 505 times)

ud32

I just noticed a similiar post under the Racing Forum and see some good advice there.

I am looking for some guidance on what to do with my running/training over the winter when I have no goal races planned. I am always at a loss for how much running and what pace to run when I am not trainning for anything. I'd like to maintain my running over the winter and if I decide to target a race at any point I could switch from this "maintenance" phase of training into something more specific to a goal race.

I deally, I have found that 4 days of running works best with my personal and work commitments. 25-30 MPW would be my target. I assume this would be a good weekly mileage total to transition into a race specific training program at some point.

Was thinking of the following 4 days schedule:

Long Run: 9-12 miles

Recovery Jog: 3.5 - 4.5 miles

Mid-Week Run: 6-8 miles

Temp Run: 5 - 6.5 miles

Thoughts ?

DoppleBock

Not sure where you live but in snow country - We mainly run slow in winter.  We tend to do dry pavement fartleks when available = If you find a few blocks of bry pavement (No ice) run hard.  If you get a chance for a really long stretch of dry pavement - Time for a Tempo.

I am never structured.  I will run however I feel.  But generally plan amount of time I will run.

Today is a recovery day - I will run easy - Maybe once, maybe twice.  My main goal is to get ready to run 2-3 hours tomorrow morning.  Tomorrow morning may be a road run or a trail run or if I do not want to face the weather (I have a cold) a TM run.  I will run however I feel - Fast, Slow - Whatever ... I just want 120-180 minutes.

Training will start again on January 7th - God willing.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

My thoughts:

1.) Get a goal race or event ... I need one right now, will be figuring out what that is in the next couple of weeks.

2.) If you are doing an April or May marathon or other goal race and use a good 16-20 week plan, those start in January, sooner then we think. The easiest way to "get into shape" is to not get out of shape in the first place. What "in shape " means has always been vague to me, so I leave that up to the reader to define that.

3.) Be flexible. I live in New England and I see my plan as on mother nature's good humor. This may mean moving the long run around to avoid especially crummy weather days, which New England has allot of this time of year. Crummy weather includes ground conditions (ice, snow quality on paths & roads, if any). I am considering a March marathon but fear the unknown conditions I may need to do long runs in if I do. Where you live and your ability to travel to find a good running location is a factor. Some areas have good places to run in winter, some none at all.

4.) Off season is short. I think of it as low season, not off season. Many people where I live (Vermont), call it "ski season".

jmctav23

2/3rds training

I'm loosely following the base training principles outlined in this article but my mileage hasn't been where I wanted it; speaking of which, time to hit the trails for a sunny afternoon in the woods.

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/speed-base

I'm loosely following the base training principles outlined in this article but my mileage hasn't been where I wanted it; speaking of which, time to hit the trails for a sunny afternoon in the woods.

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/speed-base

thanks jmctaC3po. Great read.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

DoppleBock

In WI - It is downhill ski, snowshoe and drinking season

But it is also core strengthening, base building, injury prevention season - Let everything heal and have some fun.

4.) Off season is short. I think of it as low season, not off season. Many people where I live (Vermont), call it "ski season".

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

dallison

registered pw

This is only my 2nd winter running. I use it to keep my base up so i don't have to start fresh in march. I'll try to keep 100+ mpm until march/april as long as mother nature co-operates.

Just like others, i have to move my runs around depending on the conditions.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half