Racing on Consecutive Days - Best tactics? (Read 668 times)

JakeKnight

So Wingz peer-pressured me into running all 3 of her virtual races. Tongue And now I'm wondering how to achieve the best results, without injury. A 5-k-, a 5-mile, and a 10-k. Planning on doing one each, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. All run on a very nice new 400m track. That rubbery kinda surface, if you experts know that what that is. A 1.5 mile warmup and cool down (running to and from the the track). And I'm not going to do 100% effort; say 95%. But I'd like to put in a decent effort, ideally sub-23 5-k, sub-40 5-mile, sub-50 10k. Or so. What's the best order to do them in? 5-k first to save energy? 10-k first to save the shortest for last? Advice appreciated. Beer also appreciated.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

You'll ruin your knees!

You're not going to want to hear this... Sounds to me like you have stuffed and addressed the envelopes and only need to drop them in the mail... can you say invitation to injury??? Pick one...ONE and race it at 95%. That way, the order doesn't matter. Why do you want to do this? Are you targeting a sub-15 5k in 6 weeks or something (joke, OK?)? Your training pace is not compatible with back to back days at the pace you are targeting. OK, sorry to preach, but I'd hate to see you go down now. Off my box, Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I don't think the order matters as much as what you do right afterwards. The distances aren't long enough to drain you of your glycogen reserves, but you should definitely think about what you should eat/drink the 20 minutes after your runs to replenish them.
        JakeKnight

You're not going to want to hear this... Sounds to me like you have stuffed and addressed the envelopes and only need to drop them in the mail... can you say invitation to injury??? Pick one...ONE and race it at 95%. That way, the order doesn't matter. Why do you want to do this? Are you targeting a sub-15 5k in 6 weeks or something (joke, OK?)? Your training pace is not compatible with back to back days at the pace you are targeting. OK, sorry to preach, but I'd hate to see you go down now. Off my box, Lynn B
          This from a guy planning on running 100 miles over mountaintops, half of it in the dark. What's my worst case scenario? I pull a hammy? Rupture an achilles? Meanwhile, what's yours? Falling of a mountain ... and dying? Being dragged off the trail by a mountain lion and being eaten? Croaking from hyponatremia? Lots of potential death on your horizon. Big grin And you're preaching at me? But you're right. Good preaching, Reverend. I'll still run them, but I'll slow at least a couple of 'em down to marathon pace tempo runs or something. But for the record, I may chuckle at the irony if you get eaten by a mountain lion while falling off a cliff because you were stumbling around in a hyponatremic daze .... Tongue Thanks for the advice guys!

Wingz

Professional Noob

For the record: THIS IS NOT MY FAULT!!! Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

*sits down with a big bowl of popcorn*

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Huh? Expecting a show, Zoomy? Seems like there's more action over under the 15 minute / mediocrity threads...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, but you guys are more fun. Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Well, let me have some of that popcorn, ok? Does it have butter on it? Tongue ...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You do like butter on popcorn, don't you? Please say you aren't one of those weirdos who likes just salt. Ick. Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Wierdos, yes. Salt only, no. Tongue

JakeKnight

For the record: THIS IS NOT MY FAULT!!! Big grin
                          Maybe. But isn't it great that I have someone to blame if things go wrong? That's me. Always planning ahead. Clowning around

You'll ruin your knees!

"Meanwhile, what's yours? Falling of a mountain ... and dying? Being dragged off the trail by a mountain lion and being eaten? Croaking from hyponatremia?" Yep, but I might miss all that fun if I overtrained running FAST for three consecutive days, oh, and you missed being bitten by a rattlenake, nests of hornets, rabid skunk attacks and much more! Touche Your humble servant, Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

JakeKnight

"Meanwhile, what's yours? Falling of a mountain ... and dying? Being dragged off the trail by a mountain lion and being eaten? Croaking from hyponatremia?" Yep, but I might miss all that fun if I overtrained running FAST for three consecutive days, oh, and you missed being bitten by a rattlenake, nests of hornets, rabid skunk attacks and much more!
                              Sure. But I didn't want to scare you. I also didn't mention going blind. As you probably already know, Dean Karnazes supposedly actually went BLIND the first time he ran the thing. Blind. Dude. That's just wrong. You won't even see the hornets, snakes, skunks, and mountain lions coming. Fortunately, you'll probably fall of a cliff before they get you. So that's cool. Cool

Wingz

Professional Noob

You guys are making me think I need to put a waiver in with the registration... Confused Wink