Massage Therapy? (Read 726 times)

Anyone indulge in this on a regular basis? I'm thinking once a month sessions may be a good idea to get a jump start on problem areas before they start causing problems. I was thinking of rolfing - but I guess that's a 10 session thing and not quite the same as deep tissue therapy. Anyone had experience with rolfing?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
    Thyroid Support Group

I used to get a deep tissue massage every fortnight and I probably will again once I step my training up again. I found it helped manage any niggles I had at the time and helped me increase my workload without major risk of injury. She was also became very knowledgable about my body Wink and she could advise me if she thought I should back off for a bit.
        She was also became very knowledgable about my body Wink and she could advise me if she thought I should back off for a bit.
        Gulp - I hope that wasn't TMI Big grin Yeah - I was kind of thinking along those lines - hope it's not too hard to find a "good" therapist. Think I'll stick with a female therapist as well, tho! Wink Would it be weird having a male masseuse if you were a male? Would gender be an issue for you?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

I've had both in the past and I've never had an issue with it. Having said that, all the therapists I've seen I've already known or been recommended by my coach.
            I haven't but wouldn't mind starting though!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I might ask around the local running store - probably a good place to get a referral - thanks! Pam -would you have a gender issue?

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

During the last 2-1/2 years, I have had calf, piriformis and hamstring injuries. It seems that most occur either during the heavy miles preceding a marathon or a month or two following when I'm usually in the best shape but I tend to race too much. In the latest training period I've been going to a massage therapist every 3 weeks. So far (only 2+ weeks from the marathon), the massages have really seemed to work. Even though they are somewhat expensive, I find it is better than forfeiting entree fees and non-refundable airline tickets.
                  Anyone had experience with rolfing?
                  My neighbor's best friend is Rolfer (Proper term?)...but that's all I know about it. He went to some school out in Colorado and has a degree in it.

Michelle

I might ask around the local running store - probably a good place to get a referral - thanks! Pam -would you have a gender issue?
                    probably not. Reason I say that is my dh got me a spa package one year for my birthday, anyway made an appointment to go for full body massage, facial, nails, pedicure the works. The lady who I had an appointment for the massage part with ended up being sick and I was stuck with a man. Felt really weird at first but he made me feel at ease. He sure game a mean massage (the kind that hurt but feels good).

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

He sure game a mean massage (the kind that hurt but feels good).
                      That's the kind of massage I'm talking about ! - I bet you really need to have good strength to keep up a deep tissue massage for an hour. Going rates here are around $70/hr - more if you go to a PT. Never2late - I think it miight be a good investment. What finally stopped me was that my plantaris muscle was a solid knot. Apparently I was rolling to the outside of my foot to take pressure off the stress# - didn't even know I was doing it! Regular massages might have clued me in sooner to alterations in my gait. Thanks for the feedback Smile

Go With The Flow
                      Thyroid Support Group

That's the kind of massage I'm talking about ! - I bet you really need to have good strength to keep up a deep tissue massage for an hour. Going rates here are around $70/hr - more if you go to a PT. Never2late - I think it miight be a good investment. What finally stopped me was that my plantaris muscle was a solid knot. Apparently I was rolling to the outside of my foot to take pressure off the stress# - didn't even know I was doing it! Regular massages might have clued me in sooner to alterations in my gait. Thanks for the feedback Smile
                        So..just to clarify - -it helped with the foot too? I've just found out I have styloid process bursitis in my left foot because it's shorter than the other and because I roll to the outside. Have been very good about ice and not running but...would really like to help the healing process!! lisak
                        Cincinnati Flying Pig May 4
                          I have an appointment tomorrow for a "sport" massage - I'll let you know if I think it was worth it.

Go With The Flow
                          Thyroid Support Group

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Just had my sports massage. Man did that hurt. But my hammie feels a bit better!
                              Ow- actually - it went really well - not sure it was worth the price - but I guess time will tell. She seemed to know her anatomy - and I asked lots of questions during. Essentially, I could feel every single trigger point. I had 1 close to the peroneal n. insertion(?) on each leg - both gone now. My worst areas were tight ITB over the quads and some pretty good size knots in the vastus L.on both sides that's the Ow. R is worse than L. I'm going back next week for a short session just to work the quads, and then I'll decide how I feel after that. Lisa - if you go for your foot - don't go to a day spa - go to a place that treats athletes and does a "real" sports massage. The biggest difference I noticed, was in the way she manipulated my leg position to deep stretch the hip flexors. Day Spa's would be good for just general stress relief. Oh, and I want to get one of those heated mattress pads Smile

Go With The Flow
                              Thyroid Support Group