Why do we make it so complicated? (Read 1732 times)

Insert witty title here

What you find complicated may seem simple to someone else. That's not meant as an insult, just saying everyone is different and we all run for our own reasons. I'm a nerd who's good at math, enjoys statistics and became a computer programmer... so I enjoy keeping track of everything, watching my pace, setting goals, etc. That may seem complicated to you, but for me it's not only simple, it's fun (yes I'm aware that I'm a weirdo). I guarantee there's something in life you think is simple that I would find complex and frustrating. We're all different and there's nothing wrong with that.

ThomasRuns Blog
    Twitter

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do." - [Walter Bagehot]

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

So are there garmin tracks of this somewhere? What's the elevation profile of your yard look like?
      Bout an inch shorter than yesterday - you missed the part about how low my mental level is -- I have no idea how to get tracks out of my Garmin, except to run down a dirt road with my arm dragging so low the Garmin drags, and I don't have a workout type for that (yet).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

So are there garmin tracks of this somewhere? What's the elevation profile of your yard look like?
        While not as fancy as jog-mowing, my couch does has some serious hills. Here's a HR chart of me laying on the couch when my Garmin was still a shiny new toy.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

mikeymike

That's cool! It looks like when the tornado first struck and began lifting your house up and down your heart rate momentarily spiked to the 70's but you quickly calmed yourself and maintained a nice steady 50-ish. Way to go!

Runners run

And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves. - Spartacus

A Saucy Wench

While not as fancy as jog-mowing, my couch does has some serious hills. Here's a HR chart of me laying on the couch when my Garmin was still a shiny new toy.
              Who was with you on the couch? That is some serious spring action. But don't show her the HR part, she would be insulted.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Feeling the growl again

If running were simple, there would be no market for training books, schemes, gadgets, HRMs, $125 shoes, etc etc.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

A Saucy Wench

You spin me right round baby right round Like a record baby right round round round

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Who was with you on the couch? That is some serious spring action. But don't show her the HR part, she would be insulted.
                    Heh. I think she was more insulted when I fell asleep around minute 3. I see now that she worked through her anger.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Go Daddy

Big grin
                      Scout7

Remember the old days when we had freedom of choice. Just think of how boring this thread would be if people could train the way that they wanted and used whatever "gadgets" or "programs" they wanted. Imagine if people actually posted new training ideas, if people posted little tips that helped them in their training without being told that they were wrong. Perhaps the "Running Taliban" will get over the fact that the use of technology is not the mother of all evil because it is different from their chosen workout plan.
                        Wow.... This is the kind of talk that makes the discussion pointless. Nicely done on polarizing things into sides.

Remember the old days when we had freedom of choice. Just think of how boring this thread would be if people could train the way that they wanted and used whatever "gadgets" or "programs" they wanted. Imagine if people actually posted new training ideas, if people posted little tips that helped them in their training without being told that they were wrong. Perhaps the "Running Taliban" will get over the fact that the use of technology is not the mother of all evil because it is different from their chosen workout plan.
                          Who is stopping anyone from training how they want? Or using as many gadgets as they want. Post away with your new training tips. There are plenty of people to appreciate them.
                          Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.
                          mikeymike

Runners run

mb197314

Imagine if people did not get so offended over a simple question....Imagine if people just simply stated why they do use the gadgets and technology they have...Imagine if you invested in some technology and actually started timing some of those training runs of yours...

Hey, nice marmot!

Imagine all the peeeeople, livin' for todaaaaay. I think TNThomas pretty much answered the original question. Some people are really in to the techy stuff, some aren't. It's just a matter of personal preference. I'm not into all the Garmin-type things mainly because they're so pricey, but if someone else want to use them, it's no business of mine.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens