Used treadmill question (Read 84 times)

Supersono99

How many miles is too many? I'm planning on checking out a used TM tomorrow that is supposed to be barely used. How many miles should be the line for saying no thanks? How many does a typical TM usually last? This particular one is a sole f80.

an amazing likeness

Whatever you do....ask the seller if he has a thing for Spaniels, and if he does -- do not buy a treadmill from him. Turn and run away, no further discussion. Run, don't walk.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Supersono99

Please, enlighten me! WTF are you talking about?

TJoseph

I put a new belt and flipped the deck on my Precor 9.33 at around 1000 miles.  It has about 1800 on it now and feels like it needs maintenance again.  I am old and slow unlike spaniel, so mine doesn't get run as hard as his.

Feeling the growl again

Please, enlighten me! WTF are you talking about?

Bwahaha, I am infamous.... Big grin

My first treadmill was a Sole F63, bought in 2008.  Take into account I ran 1000-2000 miles per year on it (a certain percentage by my wife).   Typically never slower than 8.6mph with tempo runs 10-11.5 mph and intervals to the max of 12mph.

IIRC, the first deck cracked at around 9 months.  I went through 5 decks and 2 belts, each deck lasting progressively less.  The last was replaced...to their credit, out of warranty....after having lasted only 3 weeks.  I used their recommended lube religiously throughout.  Also replaced a Start button and speed sensor.  Finally, after 5 years, the main board went and I junked the machine.  Cut an old deck in half and realized they are made of compressed cardboard.

For only occasional use at slower speeds than I used it, a Sole may be OK for you.

I replaced it with a NordicTrack Commercial 1500.  i owned it for 15 months, bought the extended warranty.  The first electronic console went 3 months.  Each one went progressively less, I went through 6-7 consoles, I lost count.  The deck cracked almost in half at 9 months.  I finally got a console that lasted, then it started not holding speed past 5-6 miles.  They sent a new motor, it was faulty.  Sent another, didn't fix it but incline started acting up.  Sent new incline sensor, after installing the main board was apparently bad.  I am suspicious the main board was at the root of all the electronic issues from the beginning.  To NordicTrack's credit, they declared it a lemon and issues a refund (still in process, however).

I went to look at a used Landice from Craigslist, which have a high reputation.  This particular machine was too loud, clearly had some issues.  They managed to sell me a new Lifespan machine, claiming they had fewer repair calls on these than more expensive machines.  On only the fifth run on the treadmill (slow tempo run, 10mph), the console stopped responding to all commands.  It sits, there, a useless piece of junk, a week after I bought it...while still waiting for the refund to execute on the prior machine.  The store selling it is sending out a repairman, but I am waiting on their call.  I checked all connections and all seems ok.

In summary, I consider all $1000-$1500 treadmills to be crap if you are going to run a lot of miles on them or run fast on them.  Be careful not to pay too much for used treadmills....40% depreciation the first year and 10% each year after is probably fair (got that off treadmilldoctor.com).  Forget mileage, listen if it is louder than if should be.  That will be bearings, rollers, or motor going bad.  Electronics you cannot predict.

If I could go back a few weeks, I should have bought a POS used machine and nursed it along until next year when I could pull the trigger on a brand new Landice with lifetime warranty.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Supersono99

Spaniel, your TM troubles are crazy ridiculous! I have been reading through old TM threads and seeing your stories! I will not run every run on it! more likely 250 miles per year. I am slow,max speed would likely be 6-7 mph but most often around 5 mph. I am overweight, so the deck worries me since you are not, however my turtle pace may help with the pounding on the deck?

Feeling the growl again

Spaniel, your TM troubles are crazy ridiculous! I have been reading through old TM threads and seeing your stories! I will not run every run on it! more likely 250 miles per year. I am slow,max speed would likely be 6-7 mph but most often around 5 mph. I am overweight, so the deck worries me since you are not, however my turtle pace may help with the pounding on the deck?

In your situation, that price range of treadmill would probably do OK for you.  I am more of a torture tester situation.  I let you know what type of things you should watch out for.  If you call yourself overweight, I would lean toward the NordicTrack vs Sole.  It was the decks which were the weak point on the Sole, only took out one on the NordicTrack.  For what it's worth, the sole NordickTrack deck which failed did so 7 miles into a 30-mile run.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Supersono99

In your situation, that price range of treadmill would probably do OK for you.  I am more of a torture tester situation.  I let you know what type of things you should watch out for.  If you call yourself overweight, I would lean toward the NordicTrack vs Sole.  It was the decks which were the weak point on the Sole, only took out one on the NordicTrack.  For what it's worth, the sole NordickTrack deck which failed did so 7 miles into a 30-mile run.

A 30 mile TM run is a kind of crazy I'm not familiar with Smile

Feeling the growl again

A 30 mile TM run is a kind of crazy I'm not familiar with Smile

Well it took out my pelvis as well, so me too.  Wink

JustLikeJF

Spaniel, Wow, I bought the cheapest  Weslo (used) to walk on and was even about 290lbs when I started using it. I even ran on it a bunch of times even though the sales guy at Play it Again told me not to. I did this 6 days a week for a year and a half and my walking was intense (not sure how many MPH but almost jogging speed)  and my wife even used it a lot. It still works perfect have never had a problem. Walking and running must be way different animals. I can't imagine spending that much time and effort maintaining a treadmill I would have just started running outside which is my plan now anyway. I'm going to try running outside all year round, I love it.

I'm such a beginner I know nothing but, maybe try a Weslo brand. It was good to me.

Feeling the growl again

I prefer running outside too, but I have small kids so often the treadmill is my only option.  I have also become very intolerant of heat in recent years so I can run more indoors than if I had to run at 90+ degrees.

Supersono99

I, too, prefer running outside, but with three young kids I cannot always manage to leave fr an hour or so and a TM will help me be able to be more consistent with my mileage when I wouldn't have been able to run otherwise.

Update, my husband went this morning to look at the TM and it only had been used for 56 miles! They also gave us the original store receipt which still has a year of warranty on everything through Sears plus the lifetime warranty on select parts through Sole. We got an excellent deal, so I feel good about the risk of buying this TM even with Spaniel's bad sole experiences. Hopefully I won't regret it.