Park City Marathon (Read 796 times)

This was marathon number five for 2006, with two more to go. When I woke up this morning, I was not thrilled. The wind was blowing, it was wet and overcast, and we were running at 6500 - 7200 ft elevation. I don't like the wind, not happy about rain, and, being from Las Vegas, wondered how the altitude would play. But, I can't do a thing about the altitude, only about my attitude. So, I decided that whatever the day brought, it would be what it would be. I would not be the only one affected. If it rained on me, it would rain on everyone. If the wind blew, it would blow on everyone. Fortunately, by the time the race actually started, the wind had stopped and there was no rain. However, I still had to deal with the altitude, and I felt it. I started easy, knowing that (1) I would have to acclimate, (2) it was a hilly marathon, and (3) I still have two more to run--the next in four weeks, and St. George two weeks after that. It is actually a beautiful course, primarily on trails or bike paths, with portions here and there through Park City, Utah itself. The worst part was either mile 17, which climbs about 200 ft in a mile, or the long, boring, straight stretch from 19 to 24. Probably the latter, because on a long stretch like that it is easy for your mind to convince you to slow down, the end will never come, etc. Well, of course, it finally did, and I finished 27th overall (out of 375), 3rd in my age group (50-54; thank heavens next year I will be the youngest in a new group instead of the oldest in my current group), with a time of 3:35:18. I ended it all with a 7-hour drive home.
    My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow, I think you did great, all things considered! But that drive home must have been brutal--were you the one behind the wheel? Now THAT's hard-core!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Congratulations, Pron8r!! You have my utmost respect for even being able to live thru runnng at higher elevations!! Great job.
        So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
        aes

I'm jealous. I LOVE Park City. I have been meaning to ask you though which marathon you preferred in Utah. If you had had to pick between SLC and Ogden, which would you pick? And then between the one you pick and St. George? I'll be in Utah the next two years at school so it would be nice to know. Smile Thanks! and congrats!
            Wow, I think you did great, all things considered! But that drive home must have been brutal--were you the one behind the wheel? Now THAT's hard-core!
            Fortunately, no. My wife drove.
            My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
              I'm jealous. I LOVE Park City. I have been meaning to ask you though which marathon you preferred in Utah. If you had had to pick between SLC and Ogden, which would you pick? And then between the one you pick and St. George? I'll be in Utah the next two years at school so it would be nice to know. Smile Thanks! and congrats!
              Ogden over SLC, hands down. Not even close. Ogden is a beautiful course, starting about 8 miles west of Pineview Reservoir. It wraps around the reservoir, then begins a descent through the canyon at about mile 17. The canyon, with it's high walls, river (ok, stream) to your right, winding road, etc is gorgeous. Plus, it helps take your mind off the run. In addition, they have a marathon relay at the same time, so about every 5 miles there's a pretty good-sized and vocal crowd where the relay exchanges take place. The weather for the past few years has been fantastic. SLC, on the other hand, starts at the "U" and heads south for 13 miles, then begins the return trip to the Gateway, going up Van Winkle Expressway. While the first half is ok, and you get some crowd support in the residential areas, the second half is pretty boring with some long, straight stretches and no crowd support at all. And, it's pretty warm as well. The race is the first week in June, and this year the temps reached high 80's - low 90's. Between Ogden and St. George? I've run both a few times. St. George is a beautiful marathon as well, and has more runners (5,000+ to Ogden's 1,200). St. George, as you probably know, is entry by lottery. Ogden is not. St. George has more crowd support, particularly once you hit the city limits. SGM also has history and tradition (20+ years, while Ogden is only in it's 6th or 7th year). Tough to choose, but in the end, if I had to pick just one marathon to run again, it would be Ogden. However--the fact of the matter is that Ogden is first of May, SGM is first of October, so run them both! (What school?)
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Good job! I am curious, why 7 in 2006?
                Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Fortunately, no. My wife drove.
                  Good job on your 5th marathon Pron8r! And your wife must be a saint to drive 7 hours for a marathon.
                  vicentefrijole

Great job and great report! It's always fund to read your stuff. I think I'd better get out West for a marathon one of these days.. sounds beautiful. Big grin
                      Good job! I am curious, why 7 in 2006?
                      Utah has an event called the "Grand Slam"--running any five of the six major marathons in Utah in one year. It just so happens that, since my kids live in Utah, and I get to spend some time with them on a marathon weekend, I went ahead and decided to run all six. Throw in Boston, and it comes to seven.
                        And your wife must be a saint to drive 7 hours for a marathon.
                        She is indeed. I consider myself very fortunate that she supports my running addiction with absolutely no complaint.
                        spiridon

Congrats on your Park City Marathon! I was out there this past June for the Wasatch Relay (Started up around Logan and finished in Park City)....WOW, what a beautiful area! I can sympathize with you on the "altitude"...I live on the Gulf Coast....it definitely affected my times. I haven't run the St. George or SLC, BUT I DID run Ogden year before last.....and I have to agree that is a GORGEOUS course.
                            I was out there this past June for the Wasatch Relay
                            Had a couple friends run it the last two years. They have talked me into running it next year. From their description and the pictures, it looks like a blast.
                              Congrats to you!! lisa k PS - does your wife offer training for SOR (spouses of runners)? Big grin
                              Cincinnati Flying Pig May 4
                              Wingz

Professional Noob

PS - does your wife offer training for SOR (spouses of runners)? Big grin
                                Eric - think we could do a companion site for this need? Wink

Roads were made for journeys...