Strange effects after a run (Read 140 times)

BigDaddyJoe

I am currently training for my first marathon.  Last weekend, I ran 15 miles, my longest distance to date (my previous longest was a couple of half marathons).  But that is not the run I am writing about, just using it to give a little background of where I am.  The run I am talking about was a few days later, a simple 4 mile run.  After I finished and got in the shower, I noticed a couple of things.  First, my fingers were all numb and tingly, it took quite a while for this feeling to go away.  I've had that happen before, but always on super-cold days.  This day was unseasonably warm.  Second, I noticed that a large portion of the middle toe on my right foot was dark purple, starting just below the nail.  There is zero pain in the toe, even if I touch or press on it, so I have no idea what this could be.  It is still purple a few days later.  Are these things I should be concerned about, or see my doctor about?  I don't want anything to interfere with accomplishing my marathon which is only about 7 weeks away.

The miracle isn't that I finished, the miracle is that I had the courage to start.

Sounds like Raynauds

BigDaddyJoe

God, I hope not!  My wife has had that for years, and it gets worse every single year.  I agree, the fingers do sound like that.  But the toe still being purple a few days later, but with no pain is just weird.  Almost like some sort of internal injury to it.

The miracle isn't that I finished, the miracle is that I had the courage to start.

Joann Y

Yeah, the fingers sound Raynauds. Even when it's warm my fingers will sometimes turn white and numb when I stop running and walk into an air conditioned or cool room. You'll probably just have to wait and see on the toe. Maybe a bruise?

BigDaddyJoe

But if it was Reynaud's, wouldn't it happen more often?  The other couple times it was really cold, but not this time.  I ran 8 miles the following day, then 4 the day after that, and had no effects at all.

Joann Y

I don't know. I don't get it with every run. If you're not sure then maybe next time you are at the doctor bring it up.

consult a physician not a message board!

https://www.instagram.com/tfilarski/

I have Raynaud's. Flares up worst when it is almost cold, like 45-55 degrees. Exercise some GoogleFu and go see your doc.

kilkee

runktrun

My experience as well.  Frigid temps are not really a problem.  As for the toe, you might have bruised it.  I have a bruise under my big toe nail and back up the top of the toe that seemed to have developed during a run, got darker a day later, but never hurt at all.

I have Raynaud's. Flares up worst when it is almost cold, like 45-55 degrees.

Definitely keep tabs on both the numbness and the toe "bruise."  If it starts happening more frequently, or you start bruising elsewhere, def go see a doc and try to get in quickly.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.