I pretty much prove this wrong.... (Read 1710 times)

vegefrog

Ha!  I literally measure and weight almost everything I eat for days at a time when I'm feeling especially obsessive.    I invite you to my home.  I am a scientist and fully aware that most people undercount their calories consumed and overcount their calories expended.  

That stinks! That's burning around 5000 calories a week and eating 10,500 calories a week with no weight loss?? That seems like a decent calorie deficit every day ...maybe you have no weight to lose, so their is nothing to come off.

I am trying to lose a few lbs, and I would be depressed if that was me, LOL.

Best Present Ever

IIRC there are efficiency gains associated with exercise that have an impact. Sort of like having a car that, at least to a point, gets better fuel mileage the more you drive it.

I take comfort in knowing that come the apocalypse, I'll be the last to die of starvation.  Smile

Wing

Joggaholic

Everyone's genetics are different. Personally I don't find any generalized BMI-based survey/"research" results to be of much use to me, since I know I'm always at the far end of the bell curve. I've always been categorized as underweight, and thus the BMI number really doesn't mean anything to me. (FWIW, I'm 5'9 and my weight maxed out at around 125 before I started running) I pretty much always eat what I wanted, but that just means that I eat what and however much I like without reading the nutrition labels, and that's not to say that I enjoy pigging out on junk, which I don't. I have come to rely on my cholesterol numbers as rough indicators of my well-being. They have crept up in recent years and that's why I started running. I guess my point is weight and BMI don't tell the whole story.

A Saucy Wench

Pshhhh.  There is no amount of running that will allow me to "eat what I want"

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

The King of Beasts

me too.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

same here. Those days ended sometime between age 25 and 30. 

Feeling the growl again

IIRC there are efficiency gains associated with exercise that have an impact. Sort of like having a car that, at least to a point, gets better fuel mileage the more you drive it.

That, and everyone making an assumption that she's making a calorie assumption mistake is making an assumption as to how many calories she burns.  Metabolisms can vary significantly.  In college I lived in a house with other college runners...we all did exactly the same workouts week after week....depending on the day and meal, they all ate 50-100% more than me.  As I'm typing this I'm sitting in my 70 degree house with two longsleeve shirts on just to stay minimally comfortable.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

I mostly agree with this. Age is a factor. In college my roomate and I would each order a pizza at midnight and eat them without fear. Today, the same cannot be said. I think a person who is doing 60 miles a week is able to burn almost any amount of calories, but they can't burn the fat and this gets worse with age. As Spaniel said your metabolism is different than mine, but I can burn carbs and sugars very easily and keep up with my late night snacks and larger meals. I do wonder though, how svelt could I be if I paid attention to what I ate?

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
                  Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Thats for sure.   Darned Christmas cookies...

MTA:  Just finished three chocolate chip cookies and an Irish coffee.  I should stop eating now for the rest of the day.

But that isn't going to happen.  Cracker Barrel for dinner.

steph  

#artbydmcbride

That stinks! That's burning around 5000 calories a week and eating 10,500 calories a week with no weight loss?? That seems like a decent calorie deficit every day ...maybe you have no weight to lose, so their is nothing to come off.

I am trying to lose a few lbs, and I would be depressed if that was me, LOL.

hmmm

1500 X 7 = 10,500

running 40 X 100 = 4000

metabolism 1200 X 7 = 8400

-----------------------------------------

______

1900      should lose 1/2 pound a week.   but a couple of cookies will stop you  Big grin

Runners run

A Saucy Wench

heh.  right.  Those days ended somewhere between 4 and 10.  I was overweight by 4th grade.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Running helps me want what I eat.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Best Present Ever

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/magazine/tara-parker-pope-fat-trap.html?_r=1&hp

A Saucy Wench

I take comfort in knowing that come the apocalypse, I'll be the last to die of starvation.  Smile

It'll be you and me at the end of the world. 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.