Lifting (Read 188 times)

paul2432

So... you don't care how you look or accept that you'd rather not put the time in to look better and will take what's on the table? In all fairness, what's so special in "Getting Faster" then? Why bother with any of it?

I can care how I look and not worry about an "aesthetically pleasing upper body" at the same time.  Having an aesthetically pleasing upper body has nothing to do with looking good*.  When someone says to a middle-aged (or older) man "you look good" do you think that is based on an aesthetically pleasing upper body?

Nothing is special about getting faster, which is why I'm not saying things like, "I can't understand why someone would not want to get faster".

*Watch the Academy Awards (for example) and you'll see plenty of men that look good without aesthetically pleasing upper bodies.  Some of them probably have man-boobs and guts.

Marky_Mark_17

I'm probably with paul2432 here.  'Aesthetically pleasing' is just form over substance.  I want to run faster.  I want to maintain my strength, because it makes me feel good.  Even when I was strength training a lot more, the focus was on building strength and power-to-weight ratio.  For me appearance is a byproduct of those things, not a goal in its own right.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

GC100k

I got contacted this week by a student working on a project. Apparently, I was flagged as someone who is in the weight room a lot at work. She's researching why people exercise. I didn't have a good answer except "I want to". I'm not sure why I lift except I think it's good to be strong. I don't lift for looks, but I wouldn't judge someone and declare that they are vain and are lifting for the wrong reasons if they do lift for looks. I choose my clothes and my grooming at least partly based on looks, but I guess that makes me vain and I'm dressing for the wrong reasons.

And it's definitely not for running. Some lifting can help your running, but it's about #438 on the priority list of things that would improve my running.

Lift and let lift.

SMART Approach

I have limited training time.  I'd rather devote it to getting faster than an exercise in vanity.  I'm about as likely to work on an aesthetically pleasing upper body as I am to dye my gray hair or get a toupee.  Frankly, working out for the sake of appearance strikes me as working out for all the wrong reasons.   Reminds of one of my least favorite terms when it comes to fitness - sculpting.

My workplace has a pretty nice gym that I use.  Because it's a company gym it's friendlier with less nonsense.

You may be in the minority here. You also probably look pretty good. I would say appearance is the top reason why people work out among other reasons. I am a competitive runner and simply will not give up weight training because I know I look better when lifting even if it means I may run a bit slower. Maybe I am insecure? I like compliments at age 51 on how fit I am.  I also spend a lot if time at the beach Smile

I think there is a genetic/DNA thing involved too. I have been lifting weight since I have been 10 and love that look. People who don't look good and don't work out and know working out is good for them and will make them look and  better.......I or we on this site probably don't get that. I see it at home with my wife. She knows she should work out, has a membership, has aches/pains from weakness and sees me work out each day.....however she simply can't and won't do it and time is not a factor.  I really think there is a genetic component involved. Or a lazy gene. Anyway, this can be a whole other thread.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Marylander

Unless you're going around with your shirt off or wearing really close fitting shirts at work it's likely people can't tell whether your upper body is aesthetically pleasing or not. Also, everyone has a different definition for that. Different strokes for different folks.

snake84

I can care how I look and not worry about an "aesthetically pleasing upper body" at the same time.  Having an aesthetically pleasing upper body has nothing to do with looking good*.  When someone says to a middle-aged (or older) man "you look good" do you think that is based on an aesthetically pleasing upper body?

Nothing is special about getting faster, which is why I'm not saying things like, "I can't understand why someone would not want to get faster".

*Watch the Academy Awards (for example) and you'll see plenty of men that look good without aesthetically pleasing upper bodies.  Some of them probably have man-boobs and guts.

True; beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

To answer you question I think there are some variables and they are situational.

A few examples:

Coming out of Church on a Sunday morning with a suit on and bumping into someone that normally sees me at a ballgame in a tee shirt and shorts: "You look good" is in reference more to what I'm wearing.

Sitting in a hospital after a long rehab from an illness: "You look good" is in reference to looking better then a week ago.

Bumping into an old class mate you haven't seen in 10 years: "You look good" is in reference to being able to keep father time at bay.

Running into an old girlfriend: "You look good" is a polite way of saying I have moved on and wish you no ill will.

Some one saying to a middle age man: "You look good" just means you look better then most guys your age.

Having a stranger walk up to you at the pool or on the beach: "You look good" is the one I'm talking about and that is all about your entire look and not just a big set of arms.

But the best one is to over hear one of your son's buddy say, "Dude, that's your fuukin Dad? Damn!"

snake84

I'm probably with paul2432 here.  'Aesthetically pleasing' is just form over substance.  I want to run faster.  I want to maintain my strength, because it makes me feel good.  Even when I was strength training a lot more, the focus was on building strength and power-to-weight ratio.  For me appearance is a byproduct of those things, not a goal in its own right.

For the most part, strength and size are synonymous which each other.

snake84

I got contacted this week by a student working on a project. Apparently, I was flagged as someone who is in the weight room a lot at work. She's researching why people exercise. I didn't have a good answer except "I want to". I'm not sure why I lift except I think it's good to be strong. I don't lift for looks, but I wouldn't judge someone and declare that they are vain and are lifting for the wrong reasons if they do lift for looks. I choose my clothes and my grooming at least partly based on looks, but I guess that makes me vain and I'm dressing for the wrong reasons.

And it's definitely not for running. Some lifting can help your running, but it's about #438 on the priority list of things that would improve my running.

Lift and let lift.

Good point on the grooming and dressing.

There are a myriad of reasons people run and or lift. I personally could care less why they do it, just that they are doing it is fine with me. I do find it hard to understand why they do not do it but know I am looking at it from my prospective.I'm sure there are people who think there's something wrong with me because I don't golf.

GC100k

I think there is a genetic/DNA thing involved too. I have been lifting weight since I have been 10 and love that look. People who don't look good and don't work out and know working out is good for them and will make them look and  better.......I or we on this site probably don't get that. I see it at home with my wife. She knows she should work out, has a membership, has aches/pains from weakness and sees me work out each day.....however she simply can't and won't do it and time is not a factor.  I really think there is a genetic component involved. Or a lazy gene. Anyway, this can be a whole other thread.

I think you're saying the genetic component is about your motivation, but obviously there's a genetic component in how you look. My wife works out a lot and looks smoking hot at age 54. Her side of the family has freaky genetics. We have nephews who do no exercise and look like fitness models. One got hired by a GNC-ish store just because they saw him walking through the mall and liked his look. He's since worked for that company for several years and has gotten really into fitness, so that's good.

My son was a D1 All-American in the decathlon, and when he works out in the gym, strangers gather round just to watch and film him on their phones. A college baseball coach told me that he was in the gym when my son was working out and "I just had to stop and stare. I'd never seen a physical specimen like that". I'm a big strong long-limbed guy like my son, but he didn't get those freak genetics from me.

snake84

Unless you're going around with your shirt off or wearing really close fitting shirts at work it's likely people can't tell whether your upper body is aesthetically pleasing or not. Also, everyone has a different definition for that. Different strokes for different folks.

Well if I were to assume that's you running in your avatar I must say, "You look good!"  And you're kinda right about knowing if someone has a big built if he has a long sleeve shirt on but a good set of traps is hard to hide.

Side story that goes to your point;

Our Father at church has been there for 4 years now. He's always seen me in a suit and or long sleeve shirt and tie. One Sunday on the way out of church, he grabbed me by the arm as I shook hands with him and he said, "I saw you running the other day. I had no idea you were so muscular. Yeah, in summer I run without a shirt.

snake84

I think you're saying the genetic component is about your motivation, but obviously there's a genetic component in how you look. My wife works out a lot and looks smoking hot at age 54. Her side of the family has freaky genetics. We have nephews who do no exercise and look like fitness models. One got hired by a GNC-ish store just because they saw him walking through the mall and liked his look. He's since worked for that company for several years and has gotten really into fitness, so that's good.

My son was a D1 All-American in the decathlon, and when he works out in the gym, strangers gather round just to watch and film him on their phones. A college baseball coach told me that he was in the gym when my son was working out and "I just had to stop and stare. I'd never seen a physical specimen like that". I'm a big strong long-limbed guy like my son, but he didn't get those freak genetics from me.

Thanks for sharing that!

As for your wife, there are two saying that come to mind. People do things for two reasons; inspiration or desperation. And my favorite one: If it's important to you, you will find a way. If it's not, you'll find an excuse. But at the end of the day, I'm sure you love her none the less.

And one for your son; "Hard work beats talent when talent does not work hard." I have a feeling if he's doing well at that level, he has both attributes.

mattw4jc

Lift and let lift.

I use running and biking as a way to get outside and do something. I think I could be equally happy hiking, canoeing, playing tennis or whatever. Anything that is convenient and doesn't cost me significant money every time I go out (which is partly why I've never tried golf). All the studies that reveal the health benefits of exercise just reinforce my desire to keep doing them.

Lifting is the one activity I do inside. I feel it helps my other activities and helps me feel stronger in general. Yea, I like the way I look better when I lift regularly. I think my wife does too. Plus, my 16 year old son who does gymnastics is getting pretty beefy and I gotta keep up as best I can.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

My wife is 2 years younger than me but a lot of people think she is my daughter.  When her dad was alive we looked the same age. Her sister is 4 years older tham me but looks 10 years younger.  But they all had bad health .

I have a old face but have great health

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

snake84

My wife is 2 years younger than me but a lot of people think she is my daughter.  When her dad was alive we looked the same age. Her sister is 4 years older tham me but looks 10 years younger.  But they all had bad health .

I have a old face but have great health

Glad you have your health. Nothing new about the benefits in all types of cardio work . As for heavy resistance training, some data shows it can extend life and be beneficial to your overall health. Personally, I can not say lifting has put years on to my life but it sure has put life into my years.

strambo

This thread is too many pages deep for a long detailed workout post, but I skimmed it all.  Anyway, I think the biggest error people make is to not clearly define their goals for "lifting."  So, they just aimlessly do what everyone else does, what they think they are supposed to do, or what (gag) "bodybuilders" do.

In these 5 pages, I have seen 3 different reasons or goals for "lifting" danced around which could have drastically different optimum approaches and time requirements.  The 3 I've seen touched on are improving running, getting stronger, and looking better.   To that I'll add my personal fitness goals which have been to preform well in combat (infantry soldier my whole life) and self-defense, emergency preparedness, general health and fitness.

So; for my goals as an infantry officer and someone who wants to be generally prepared and all-around fit, the last thing you'll ever see me doing is complex and time-consuming bodybuilding split routines of many different exercises designed for max hypertrophy.  I also wouldn't take the extra muscle mass if it came in a pill...'cause then I'd have to carry it with all my other gear! (I wouldn't say no to 10lbs more lean mass...but I'm not willing to adopt the type of routine it would take to maintain it which would take away from other things)  On the opposite side of the spectrum, you won't see me doing high reps with "barbie" weights to get "toned" (gag at that term!), because that isn't going to build any useful strength at all!

Why are you doing any strength training?  That should guide the "what" and "how."  There are lots of options and tools, many of them with no gym membership required.