Too much stability? (Read 654 times)

Is there a risk of having a shoe with too much stability? My left foot is the overpronating culprit and my right is normal. In the past I've worn a light stability shoe but lately I've developed posterior shin splints in my left because I was doing all my runs in a pair of DS Trainers. They just aren't going to cut it for everyday trainers even though I love them. I've worn the Inspire in the past and the shin splint issues are not as bad with them. I was thinking of my next shoe to ramp up the stability to see if I can solve it. If I go overboard, are there injury risks with too much stability?
    djtaylor

Yes - I believe so. I went from a lightweight trainer to the NB768 (moderate stability) last fall and developed ITBS shortly thereafter. I had not previously suffered from any ITBS symptoms. I went back to a lightweight trainer (NB902 - mild stability) and the problem corrected itself, for the most part (still some tightness). I cannot be 100% certain that the shoes caused my ITBS, but it seems highly likely.
        Is there a risk of having a shoe with too much stability? If I go overboard, are there injury risks with too much stability?
        Yup. Exactly my problem. Even the left foot being worse. Stability shoes caused shin splints. After much experimentation, I went with a neutral trainer, ASICS Landreths, with Superfeet Green arch supports and now run pain free. The stability did not let me pronate enough and caused excessive shock and bad shin splints.